Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Longhairs- will their hair grow longer?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bethanjane22, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Junior

I have two British Longhair kittens, they are 8.5 months old now. They have always been quite fluffy but not typicall 'long haired'. I was just wondering if anyone with experience of longhair cats knew if their coats will typically get longer as they get older?

I've attached two photos of them now (the two sitting up) and a picture of their mum (lying down) who is fairly longhaired (I met them both parents, but I don't have a pic of the dad).

Any advice would be great, along with any good grooming tools for them? I have a longhair cat Furminator and some of those rubber grooming gloves.

IMG_6052.JPG IMG_6024.JPG IMG_7294.JPG

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

They are very beautiful kitties! :)

Possibly their coats may get a bit longer as they mature into adults. But if not they will still be very beautiful cats and you may be grateful for the slightly shorter coats when it comes to grooming them.:)

I have had a few longhaired cats (not BSH LH's) and also have groomed the LH cats at the shelter I help run, for years. I never use a furminator as it strips out far too much of the under coat, leaving it thin and sparse.

The cat's coat acts as insulation, it keeps them warm in winter and cool in summer, so you do not want to be taking out much of the under coat.

The best type of brush is one that removes only the loose fur. Removing the loose fur helps the LH cat cope with grooming so he/she is not swallowing so much fur.

The brush I use is a Ferplast, and the reason I use this is because (a) it works well, and (b) the ends of the bristles are not scratchy on my cat's skin. I also use a fine toothed comb for areas such as neck, bib and tummy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Gro-5798-Brush-19-5/dp/B00C7DK9JK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QAH0JQ2IVB7V&keywords=ferplast+cat+brush&qid=1555589588&s=gateway&sprefix=ferplast+brus,aps,137&sr=8-1

(I use the side with the metal pins).

Other people have their different preferences. The slicker brush is popular with some. Amazon sells them.

3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Do they have papers? One especially doesn’t look like a typical Brit.

Your breeder should be able to answer all grooming & coat questions, she’ll know the coat type of her lines and the correct grooming tools.

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Hard to say how long their fur will grow as they're aren't true British Longhairs, so probably won't have the full coat of a BLH

5. Bethanjane22

In what way are they not 'true' British Longhairs?

6. Bethanjane22

They are not registered. I got them from a family friend who has two BLH cats, who happened to have kittens. Met both parents, as far as I am aware they are both BLH cats. She is not a breeder, so I don't have any papers etc. The mother has now been spayed anyway so she was never intending to become a breeder. I honestly don't mind what breed they are, they're my little babies and I love them none the less :)

I was just curious about their coats.

chillminx likes this.
  7. Bethanjane22

Thank you :) I love them very much. I'm not too bothered about them having long hair, I am happy with it at the length it is now anyway :) I always end up with a face full of fur when they try to snuggle me anyway!

I am not overly keen on the Furminator anyway, I may give it to my brother for his dog. It seems a bit too harsh for little cat bodies!

I will give that brush a go, I just want to try and get the loose hair out to stop them leaving so much everywhere they go :Cat

I really do appreciate your kind response, I was nervous to post pictures and ask because I knew I'd get people telling me my cats 'aren't pedigree' 'backyard breeder' etc.

Soozi, chillminx and 1CatOverTheLine like this.
  8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Shorthair cats have a 'switch' (not a technical term!) which stops the hair growing once it has reaches a certain length. Longhair cats have at least one of several mutations that prevent the 'switch' working. This means the hair keeps growing until it moults out. Longhair cats tend to have varying amounts of coat according to the point in the cycle.

9. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Their typing is not BLH type, neither they nor mum look like BLH. Below is how the breed should look

British-Longhair-Full-Body.jpg

They're very beautiful cats and almost certainly moggies, so it's hard to predict how their coat will be as it won't be true to BLH coat type, having mixed breed in there too.

spotty cats likes this.
  10. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

This is my British longhair when they were just registered as variants.

She is now 10 and as fluffy as ever.

IMG_2669.JPG IMG_0430.JPG

I get her groomed twice a year because I end up battle scarred if I try to brush her too much. A silicon brush for the house has been my lifesaver x

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Ears are far too large & upright. Not sure what colours they are, but eye colour doesn't look right. "Eye Colour - In all colours (other than Black Silver Tabby): copper, orange or deep gold, with no trace of green. Black Silver Tabby: green or hazel." From the standard of points.

They are gorgeous, but not BLH.

spotty cats likes this.
  12. Bethanjane22

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

As for colours, I’ve attached more pictures.

I believe they are definitely cross breeds of some sort, although their breed doesn’t matter to me anyway :Cat
    641176FA-A168-4413-B8E4-5DD6F2B86161.jpeg FDD65FF4-E9ED-4AA3-905A-4042933D28B2.jpeg 14772219-06D1-417C-B7EF-1EDA89DCA14F.jpeg 6843D9A7-ABBD-4D94-849C-2D0C508570DB.jpeg F152EE07-AD66-4799-9F1D-871BE184FCE2.jpeg F2F83BFA-00D3-4EEC-A397-3ACB8D7E611E.jpeg

chillminx likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

They are immensely pretty cats! :) Maybe a touch of Siberian in their appearance..

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  14. Bethanjane22

Thank you, they know how pretty they are too. They love to prance around and show themselves off!

Now that you mention it, I think a touch of Siberian may be possible. I searched for Siberian and this picture came up. Looks like what Luna (the dark grey one) will possible look like when fully grown...

8F390D3A-727B-4898-AA0E-045825DD14A9.jpeg

chillminx likes this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think it's fun to speculate on their possible hereditary origins. :)

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  16. Bethanjane22

I do too! A friend of mine has a Persian cross Bengal who is gorgeous! I think he has a smidge of rag doll in him though :)

chillminx likes this.
  17. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I hope the father has been neutered as well. Keeping cats entire and allowing them to breed isn’t an accident.

They are from a byb and not pedigree though, yet the thread was presented as if they were a certain breed. That’s what had breeders and show people wondering.

Most cats are not a mix of breeds, with only around 5% of cats being pedigrees, some natural breeds such as Maine Coon, Siberian may have lookalikes in the moggy world but it doesn’t make the cat part Siberian.

lorilu and Rufus15 like this.
  18. OrientalSlave

If you present them as what they are - non-pedigree cats - then people won't be talking about 'not pedigree' and 'backyard breeder' etc.

19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

When I got Teddi in my avatar, his eyes were orange, they have since turned greener. I only see an orange tinge now when he is in full sunlight.

Is that not right then?

20. OrientalSlave

It's not great, but he's a pet not a show cat

MilleD likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice