Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bristlenose catfish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Hi all,
    I have just purchased a Bristlenose and am keen on any advice I can be given.

I have a 60L tank well planted with drift wood and hiding places.

Tank mates are:
    4 golden barbs
    4 neon tetras
    4 glow light tetras
    2 Japonica shrimp
    2 zebra snails

Just want to make sure these conditions are suitable and will I need to feed them individual food or will they eat the tetra pellets that sink to the ground.

Any info would be great :)

#138 minutes ag

2. danielled

danielled Guest

Have you got a heater? A bigger tank wouldn’t hurt.

3. Fishnewbie

Yes I have a heater ... didn’t think I needed to specify that, ok what size is optimal, obviously I’m not going to go out and buy a bigger tank but good to know opinions?

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi.

Tetras and barbs are shoaling fish and should have an absolute minimum of 6 individuals of their own kind. 10 or more would be better. That is to say 10 neons, 10 glowlights, 10 Golden Barbs. With only 4 of each, they'll be stressed - they know there's not very many of them. 10+ helps them feel more secure and you'll benefit from seeing more natural behaviour. But, 10 of each would leave your tank overcrowded (hence bigger tank comment).

What kind of filter do you have?

5. Fishnewbie

Had all those species for well over a year and there all happy as Larry, no signs of stress or discomfort all present characteristics of happy fish:)! They actually tend to shoal together (the tetras) although the barbs tend to run the show being the bigger fish!, but not the first time I have been informed about this (appreciate your concern though) unfortunately due to financial constraints I’m sticking to the 60L for now.

Do you have anything to add to the threads topic as I need advice on brittlenoses :)!!

Cheers

6. danielled

danielled Guest

You can get cheap tanks second hand, gumtree for one.

7. Fishnewbie

Aploligies I missed the last question, a Fluval U3 90 - 150L, will this impact the Bristlenose then?

8. Fishnewbie

Thanks Danielle, I originally got my 60L from gumtree actually! £15 bargain , just not really looking to upgrade at the moment

9. danielled

danielled Guest

You need to really. It would be better for all your fish. They’d be happier.

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. Fishnewbie

At the moment I am within the guidelines but I won’t be purchasing any more fish, and if I do I will upgrade, cheers for the advice

11. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

You need a piece of bogwood in the tank - it’s essential for a BN. He will also appreciate a chunk of cucumber to gnaw on, say every other week. Make sure you take it our after 24 hours so it doesn’t rot.

LinznMilly and Fishnewbie like this.
  12. Blaise in Surrey

Just seen your other post: please tell me he’s in fresh water not salt!!

13. Fishnewbie

Hi Blaise! Thanks for the advice, by bog wood is that any form of wood or a specific type. I currently have a medium piece of wood in there (see photo attached apologies for the quality of the photo didn’t want to remove the lid) will that suffice? And thanks for the cucumber tip! Shall I bother with catfish pellets also? ( I feel my fish will probably munch these up anyway!)

Attached Files:

14. Fishnewbie

What other post was that?... yes fresh water...!!!

Blaise in Surrey likes this.
  15. Blaise in Surrey

It’s a specific type, and you have to soak it in a bucket of treated water until the water (which you change regularly) remains almost clear. Don’t be tempted to skip this: if you do the wood will float and your tank water will go tobacco-coloured :)

I have a community tank and feed three different foods in rotation (just once a day - I’m sure you already know that it’s good to be very mean with food!). So, day 1 is an algae pellet (which your BN needs), day 2 is sinking pellets (for my various corydoras) and day 3 is regular fish food. You probably also know to starve your fish one day a week and, on the following day, feed a small amount of blanched, crushed pea (ensuring you remove the skins).

Fishnewbie and LinznMilly like this.
  16. Fishnewbie

Thanks Blaise! Really helpful advice, I will see if they have any bog wood at my local PS. Cheers for the advice on feeding as well, I use similar techniques but not the food rotation so that will come in handy! Is the Blanched peas for everyone or just the BN? I also make sure to get some Algae pellets tomorrow and will try the cucumber once every couple of weeks, cheers again! ( also treated water I’m guessing is water with tap safe applied?)

17. Blaise in Surrey

Yes, they can all have the peas which is why it’s important to crush them for the smaller fish. And yes, by treated I mean made safe :)

Fishnewbie likes this.
  18. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Just seen this post after having replied on your other thread. It looks like others have already given good advice though :)

Fishnewbie likes this.
  19. danielled

danielled Guest

If it was pets at home they are very good at giving bad advise. Definately buy bog wood, my little bulldog pleco loves bogwood.

20. Fishnewbie

I don’t shop at pets at home ... but thanks!

danielled likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice