Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bringing pup from Ireland to UK

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by colacooler, Nov 19, 2007.

1. colacooler

colacooler PetForums Junior

Hi there, Only now am I in a position to look after a puppy!

And I've always wanted a boxer from pup, i adopted an ex show champion dog a few years back and recently died :( but me and my woman are ready to take on a new challenge so to speak!

But we want a boxer without a tail, and I know Ireland still have no docking law so was wondering if anyone knew if I can go over there in a day and come back with a pup or do I have to have a passport, blood tests etc for it?

thanks!

2. Magik

Magik Guest

I think out of all the dogs that need to be docked a boxer is definately one of them. Boxers originally had their tails docked because the breed was so giddy and active they would often damage their tales..

As to answer your question... I'm not sure! Sorry!

3. colacooler

Exactly Magik.

It is true at this moment in time i would never buy a pup in the UK as it will have a tail due to the fact that Boxer tails are mental, some can curve up higher than it's body, some off to the side etc

Also they smash and hit things and get damaged as they are thick and very strong.And I don't want to go through A)the healing process of a damaged tail, trying to stop the dog from licking the tail and B) Possible amputation...a friend has had to have her boxer who's 6months old docked by a vet due to damage.

And to top it all, it looks plain wrong and awful for a boxer to have a tail.
    For all those people who think it hurts, they put an elastic band basically on the tail. It stays on for about a day or two, the blood supply stops and it just falls off. It most definitely does not hurt,the dog will not whimper and the dog will not stop feeding! A sure sign of pain is the inability to eat!

4. colacooler

Just had an email off DEFRA.

No passport needed for Ireland - UK travel routes so yeah it is possible to go over in one day buy a puppy and come back the same day with no hassle but lots of puppy tears!

5. colacooler

I'm not sure whether to wait till after christmas, I know it would be a great present for both of us for Christmas but I would like to wait and maybe take a look round rescue centres because I'm sure they are going to be soooo busy this Christmas and hte few weeks after Christmas with unwanted pups etc

Hmm not sure what to do. If I find the boxer pup of my dreams in Ireland then maybe I will have to do it but for now I'm kinda having an inclination to wait and see what happens.

Lots of thinking to do!

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

very wise :)

7. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

good luck
    :)

8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Breeder in Scotland breeds bobtails.
    Oh and please put an elastic band on your little finger you don't need it, then tell me it doesn't hurt.
    Buy a bobtail or get your docked dog from someone who has them surgically docked.

StrawberryBlonde likes this.
  9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

PL ... What's with resurrecting the older threads this morning? Lol.

Burrowzig likes this.
  10. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Gosh sorry first time I have used the forum on my phone and this thread was top of the list on dog chat.
    Mmmm another reason for me to dislike the new format.

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's that 'similar threads' bit at the bottom of the page, I think. Most of them aren't remotely similar anyway, just contain a word in common. VERY annoying.

Picklelily and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice