Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bringing home baby

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jigsawsmum, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Jigsawsmum

Jigsawsmum PetForums Junior

Hi all,

So I have recently found out that we are expecting around easter time next year :D:D:D

and I want to start now with my furbabies getting them ready for a new bundle to join us.

Jigsaw (the dog) has never really had experience with babies, about 3 years ago we had to have my niece (who was about 18 months at the time) overnight as an emergency (sis got rushed into hospital). He did really well with her (apart from shoving his nose in her cheek every hour while we were all trying to sleep :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) and has always had positive reactions to toddlers/young children when we're out and about so am just hoping he doesn't get jealous (he is our baby after all, and has been for the last 4 years)

and for those of you with experience with cats:
    Puzzle as far as I know has never met a child and the youngest he's ever experienced (to my knowledge, he was approx 8 months old when we rescued him) is teenagers, so I wouldn;t have a clue what he'd be like. He is a very cuddly cat on a day-to-day basis and has an identity crisis (thinks he's a dog :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

Any help/experience on the above would be greatly appreciated, personally I'm scared enough as it is, and I want them to be even more prepared for this massive change than I am

Thanks in advance

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

We had a cat aged 6 yrs when our first child was born - she was NOT impressed ! The baby crying really used to upset her and she refused to come in the house and went walk-about several times. She came round in the end though, and learned to tolerate the baby - till she started crawling, that was another story ! I think the key with cats is to let them set their own pace and keep them supervised when together, my 2 grandsons have learned from an early age about giving the cat space.(not the same cat ! )
    Can't really help with dogs as our youngest grandson is 3 yrs old , but In my view dogs and babies should NEVER, EVER be left alone together , constant vigilance is essential.
    A playpen or travel cot would be a useful bit of kit, you can pop the baby in there if you have to leave the room, and safety gates to keep the dog contained when necessary.
    Congratulations by the way !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice