UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spike is 7 now and him fighting with the neighbors cats is getting stupid, he's coming home daily with new wounds. I feel it's time he stays in because he obviously can't fight his battles and i'm fed up of trying to clean him up daily.

The thing is he screams to go out but then all he does is sleep on mine and neighbors windows. I had new neighbors about 5 months back move in with 6 cats and I know he's not getting on so well with some of them.

How do I go about this, I cant just never let him out anymore. It's easier in the winter as he prefers to be in then but now it's summer he wants to be out. I don't even now if he'll use a litter box anymore, he's been going outdoors since he was 5 months after he kept escaping out with my other cats.

Now if I keep the kitten I feel it would be good to keep her indoors, so would this make it easier on spike?

also i'm tired of a filthy cat who brings fleas home when I try so hard to keep this place flea free :mad:

Another thing is i'm concerned he won't be happy if he becomes an indoor only cat but I feel it's healthier for him.

any advice, tips etc would help thanks

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
If you own your own house there are several options other than just keeping him in. If you can keep a high fence and 'cat proof' the fence (you can find old threads on this) that could help so he could still go out. Or you could invest in a run attached to the house. Again you'll find threads about the same topics if you search for them.

The problem is, he likes going out doors. He knows what it's like out there and it would be hard on him to stay in. I think you'll find he might get misrable. By all means try it, but there are other options you can consider. Also I wouldn't let your other cat out if one can't go out. It'll just upset the one that can't go. Bailey is an indoor cat, but she has always been an indoor cat and doesn't really show much interest in outside. If she wanted outside I'd have no choice but to let her. But we have the doors open sometimes for a while and she's never tried to escape.

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
Can you cat proof your garden or maybe build a run for him. You could even try harness training him and let him out in the garden on the lead or take him for walks

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have just looked after my daughters 2 cats ,and am lucky enough to have sheds and runs for my cats ,so I closed off a seperate run and shed for her 2.
We did think we would have problems as they both normally do their own thing and only come in at night,but after an initial grumbling,they adjusted to their surroundings and regular feed times and settled really well.
In fact ,one of them was annoyed that she was leaving her sofa that she had got quite attached to.
So rather than your cat being beaten up etc ,I can recommend having a run and his own little house ,all of mine have this ,and queue up every morning to go out .

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, can't respond much as i'm so tired but needed to add I can't afford a cat run, my mum woulden't allow it as this is her house and I would have no space, my yard is tiny.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Our lot use to go out when we had a garden :rolleyes: but only have a back yard now we just put some 4x2 wood beams across the top & chicken wire so they can go out & enjoy the sun or rain in louie's case :mad: I did feel guilty about confineing them but live near a busy road & they are hopeless at playing with traffic.

Im sure he will get use to it & use a tray again, if you have a kitten to they will keep each other amused :D

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, and tried to keep him in today but he screamed his lungs out and I gave in :eek: i'm going to have to be more persistent with him :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.