Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

brin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by brin, Oct 29, 2012.

1. brin

brin PetForums Newbie

new to this ! have got an old girl terrier type 17.5 years and have just last two months got a six year old akita X mountain pyranian with dominance issues because of size it is a problem for the old girl and also any visiting dogs i stress dominance not aggression am using amichien bonding which helps but does not stop the problem any advice out there !

2. Allan53

Allan53 PetForums Junior

Welcome Brin! I'm not any kind of trainer, but I'm sure someone here can help you :)

3. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!

That is a dog and a half! Akita and Pyrenean Mountain dog both breeds with reputations for being...feisty. I would suggest enlisting the help of an experienced trainer.
    Also as the previous poster suggested try reposting in the 'Dog' section. We have a number of people here with experience with larger breeds.

4. joyous growler

joyous growler PetForums Member

Welcome dear brin,:)

Although I don't know your exact situation, however, I tell you my thoughts.

The fact is that Akita was originally used as a hunting and fighting dog. In particular, Akita was used in bear and boar hunting. Besides, they have been performing services under the samurai.

When the dog fight was banned in Japan, Akita becomes a "social" dog. Nevertheless, he retained much of the original temperament, of course. Consequently, he sometimes can be overbearing toward other dogs.

I don't know if your two dogs are same gender.

If this is so, then this behavior is perfectly understandable. Due to the Akita's hunting instinct, you need it to use to other pets. However, if that use happens, Akita has pretty well with them.

Likewise I don't know, if there is a kid in your family. Akita gets along well with children in general, and actions against them protectively. Nevertheless, it doesn't behave as a real playmate of kids.

I suggest you to go to the 'Dog Training and Behaviour' sub forum here. Then push the 'search this forum' button top right. Type your issue into the window then push enter. You'll find anwers to your problem there.

Many successes,:)

Alex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice