Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Brimming with pride...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Took my boy to an agricultural show yesterday and he didnt put a foot wrong.

I wasnt meant to take him; he can be quite scatty (on saturday there was a triathlon near me and we got caught in the middle of the running section and he got all worried by someone with a camelback and tried to hide in a ditch) and nervous, so i had arranged for someone to have him for the day. Sadly, they had to cancel last minute so it was either take him, or stay at home.

As it was only down the road i thought id take him along (with my friend and canine company he knows) and see how he went, knowing i could just leave if he wasnt happy.

Well, he had a wonderful day out. I was worried he might shut down a bit and be a bit miserable, but he was anything but. He was clearly relaxed, openly friendly with everyone that wanted to fuss him (and LOADS did) didnt bat an eyelid at any noises or livestock (he shouldnt have done anyway, we see most species daily).

For the first time ever i let children stroke him. Every single one asked first and after observing his body language around them generally, i allowed it. Well he was on his back and having tummy rubs in seconds. He was also incredibly gentle; which is tough for him. He's the epitomy of bull in a china shop. He lay down for each child and gently sniffed their hands, or gave a paw (nicely too - he didnt slap it at them like he does with me!).

There was a fun dog show, but not one single class i could have entered him in.

The only thing he lost his sh!t at was the lure coursing display. I think he REALLY wanted a go. He didnt watch the terriers/lurchers, but the actual lure itself. Could have had a go, but the guy running it clearly didnt have a clue about dog behaviour as he was allowing dogs that didnt know each other to chase the lure at the same time, and the inevitable scrap did happen.

He also had a churro (my first time too) as i dropped one on the floor. He seemed to like it. He preferred the man making them though - kept wooing at him.

My friends lab was a nightmare, which made me feel great about all the time and effort into Neds training i have made (Ned didnt once pull on the lead, despite it being a new experience for him).

I treated him to a new toy (which he has zero interest in) and some peanut cookies.

I might finally have a dog that i can take to public events without it turning into a douche and embarrassing me!

2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Aw well done Ned! Sounds like he was a little star :)

Nonnie likes this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

That's awesome :) It's great when all your hard work comes together.

Nonnie likes this.
  4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Arwww - what a champ!

Nonnie likes this.
  5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

He was just perfect tbh.

Apart from one incident when he cocked his leg up my nice new trousers. I had forgotten about that! (i have terrible sunburn, despite covering myself in factor 50 :( )

He did spend an awful lot of time rolling on his back and generally being Ned, but i like my dog to ooze personality, not act like a robot. Plus it was a good way to gauge how happy he was.

Everyone got greeted my Ned leaning on them, sliding down their legs and then flipping himself over.

StormyThai likes this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Which show were you at @Nonnie? We were at the Cotswold show yesterday, it was absolutely packed solid and very warm, Isla took it all in her stride, spied out the stall holders that had treats and eyeballed them until they gave in and handed them over. She didn't seem bothered by anything, I even got asked if she was one of the canine partner dogs as she was calm and collected.

And well done to Ned, isn't it great when all the training pays off and you end up with a dog to be proud of

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yeah, but what fun is that?! :p

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Just a small one in the village over from mine. The kind you can walk around in under 10 mins tbh.

Tbh, i didnt think i would ever be able to take Ned to somewhere busy; he gets overwhelmed at times when he meets groups of people out walking.

I think being with a confident dog that he knows made the difference. Im not sure he would have taken it in his stride had he gone alone.

lullabydream and Siskin like this.
  9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

This is another thing that has made me proud - Ned genuinely playing with another dog and a resource, quite happily.

[​IMG]DSC_0216 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0217 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0220 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0320 by Ned Ster, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSC_0321 by Ned Ster, on Flickr

This is him with his biccies i got him. I made my a sandwich with some extra peanut butter...

[​IMG]DSC_0361 by Ned Ster, on Flickr

FYI, i dont care about the whole sticks are dangerous stuff. He doesnt like toys, he likes sticks. A stick in his mouth also means he and Luna (the lab) dont wrestle the entire time, and it doesnt look and sound like we are having organised dog fights in the middle of the woods.

Matrod, ouesi, Spidei and 2 others like this.
  10. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Well done Ned you handsome boy :)

Nonnie likes this.
  11. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

What a star & very rewarding for you :).Very jealous of all those who got Ned belly rubs :Shifty

Nonnie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice