Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Brexit........ anyone want to talk about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I didn’t think it went as far as limiting the money however they choose, but it’s hard to find decent information on it, as I’m sure you’re finding out too. Why didn’t Remainers bring it up every time the ag policy was criticised I wonder? Maybe so as not to draw to much attention to the CAP and just how much money gets thrown around.

The Eu seems rather frantic to make big reforms lately. I wonder how much brexit has to do with it. By the time we get around to actually not leaving, you never know the Eu might be one we want to be a member of. ;)

Calvine and kimthecat like this.
  2. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Oh, I agree that EU needs improvements and pronto!!!
    It cannot be acceptable that Merkel makes decisions on behalf of Germany then turns and tells everybody else that they HAVE to or else sanctions.

Pity that UK economy has to be the sacrificed if Brexit is to be the catalyst...

noushka05 and Calvine like this.
  3. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

More the UK government needs improving and to participate in European projects rather than whinge the way they do and look up to America instead.

At least Tony Blair tried in his early days, then, it became a bit of, "You can't beat 'em, join them" as we all well know...

#12443 KittenKong, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:31 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    cheekyscrip likes this.
  4. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

The Sun today have accused pro EU supporters of being the intolerant ones, not the Brexit supporters.
    Incredible.

Lest we forget this, printed 30 years ago.

And people still believe in their shit.

IMG_20190415_230859.jpg

5. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

Taking the glossary definition and the Commission comment it does seem that an upper limit can be set. The cynic in me wonders if those who would be affected are large Tory donors, whose donations might even come from the CAP money so generously passed on to them by the Tory government.

I think you're probably right about not wanting to draw attention to CAP though. Not only is it a large amount of money swilling round in the EU coffers, but details did not play a large part in the Referendum. I hate to say it, but soundbites, slogans and headlines had far more effect on many - excepting the good folk of PF of course - than long explanations of how the EU actually worked, why CAP was deemed necessary, what the consequences would have been without it, how its initial form had unintended consequences, how it was reformed in 2013 to try to address some of them, etc.

And now we get Leadsom assuring the farmers that the subsidies will continue one we are out, which must present a dilemma to those farmers who want to leave the EU for purported reasons of protectionism; especially when the promised influx of cheaper food means that the UK version of protectionist subsidies will have to increase further if farmers are not to suffer.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  6. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Have you never thought that the strong supporters of both sides may be intolerant? Step out of the bubble and try to see it from both sides

The Sun is a terrible paper I agree

Magyarmum and Calvine like this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I imagine that is why you refrain from quoting it, I imagine?

Magyarmum and AlexPed2393 like this.
  8. AlexPed2393

Don't even bother looking at it

Magyarmum likes this.
  9. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

The Sun complete rubbish and lies :mad:

noushka05, KittenKong and cheekyscrip like this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

The Daily Mash

New dating app launched for Remainers incapable of discussing anything else
    25th September 2017
    [​IMG]

OBSESSIVE Remain voters who have lost the ability to think about any other topic now have their own dating app.

The app, called Single Market, will allow people with EU flag pin badges and ‘Open Britain’ tote bags to meet and discuss topics important to them, like Brexit, Article 50, David Davis, and more Brexit.

Nathan Muir, a ‘European patriot’, said: “Since the referendum, I’ve forgotten what it’s like to have opinions about things that aren’t the Norway Option and Kate Hoey.

“Dating has become quite awkward, as I have not thought about anything not Brexit-related for over a year, so I now struggle with light, flirty conversation. It’s been hard. Hard like Brexit.

“Thanks to Single Market, I no longer have to pretend I care about music, or food, or art, or anything in politics that is not Britain’s exit from the European Union.”

Fellow unrepentant Remain voter Joanna Kramer said: “I want to meet someone I can share Brexit-related blog posts with, who will listen to Ian Dunt’s podcast with me, who will hold me when I cry thinking about the end of free movement.

“If they have an Irish passport as well, my EU flag pants are probably coming off.”

11. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I must admit I wonder if I'm getting a little like that!

On the other hand, I have little time for the current - actually quite long-lived now - attitude of 'just get on with it', as if boredom was a good reason to stop trying to find the right way forwards and just implement a solution (which happens to be the one supported by those saying we should 'just get on with it'!)

cheekyscrip, kimthecat and Magyarmum like this.
  12. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

The intolerance comes from the Brexit side who cannot accept the entire UK hasn't united behind them and their beloved flag. They expected scenes such as those seen on VE day after the "referendum".

A forum, or possibly ex forum member, even put up a thread, "Happy Independence Day" , without giving a thought to those affected, yet later bragged about his entitlement to an Irish passport while arguing we should be embracing the loss of our own EU wide ones.

Many call for "traitors" to be hung for "treason" for not coming round to their way of thinking, plus threats and in one case so far of a politician murdered for, "Not putting Britain First".

You could argue the pro Brexit side are intolerant at the thought of having to revert to the past and their refusal to accept that.

I, for one, certainly never will.

#12452 KittenKong, Apr 16, 2019 at 3:38 PM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 3:46 PM
    noushka05, Arnie83 and cheekyscrip like this.
  13. AlexPed2393

You don't think similar things have been said from the extreme side of the remain argument?

Magyarmum and Calvine like this.
  14. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I'm sure there is intolerance on both sides - I know I am intolerant of those who make statements but don't supply facts to back them up - but I haven't come across anything quite so vitriolic from the remainers as from those extremist leavers who refer to traitors and accuse those who disagree with them as being unpatriotic. Mind you, I haven't looked for any such, and certainly don't intend to!

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That actually did make me laugh!!

kimthecat and Magyarmum like this.
  16. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Brexit campaign was based on lies. Empty slogans and misinformation.
    All facts were dismissed as scaremongering and obviously we don’t need experts...

As well as “ it cannot be because of Brexit as it hasn’t happened yet”.

I don’t know how damaging your own economy could be patriotic?

Imagine if there was no referendum, the steady growth of our economy continued, car industry etc... carried on as before, 4 bln was spent on NHS instead of Brexit preparations...

Or you think ERG and JRM whose sole purpose is deregulation, low taxes for the rich and making money playing against the pound and British economy is patriotic?

Ok, Brexit will do some harm to EU, yes, but chiefly to us all.

How stupid is that?

“ Get on with it” ... if you make a mistake and you realise it was a bad investment, or you took a wrong way only a stubborn fool will “ get on with it”.

People were lied to.

noushka05, KittenKong and Arnie83 like this.
  17. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

OK then ..... here's another one for you! Enjoy!

News Thump

Tuesday 16 April 2019 by Pete Redfern

Nigel Farage livid after learning that Stonehenge was built by Turkish immigrants

[​IMG]
    Nigel Farage is throwing a wobbly this morning after learning that Stonehenge was constructed by immigrants.

Researchers in London compared DNA extracted from Neolithic human remains found in Britain with that of people alive at the same time in Europe, and found that inhabitants appeared to have travelled from Anatolia (modern Turkey) to Iberia before winding their way north to Britain.

Addressing all four followers of his new Brexit Party this morning, Farage ranted, “I’ve always said that Europeans have been coming over here, stealing British workers’ jobs, and this has clearly been going on for six thousand years.

“I bet there were some honest, hardworking British builders who had given a quote for Stonehenge, only be undercut by this European lot, who doubtless delivered the project three weeks ahead of schedule and at half the cost. The bastards.”

Brexit Party contender Annunziata Rees-Mogg added, “One manifesto pledge of the Brexit party will be to tear down this monument to European bureaucracy and replace it with a burger van in a lay-by.

“That’s what you commoners like, right?”

18. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I guess it all comes down to whether one views the (imo) dubious idea of regaining a lost 'independence' as being of greater good to the country than maximising the economic prosperity of the population. If one does, then supporting Brexit can be equated with patriotism, but I think it is a much more shaky argument than the likes of Francois would no doubt contend.

19. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

You're not the only one ......

VIEWPOINT

Quote of the day
    “I know that, on both sides of the Channel, everyone, including myself, is exhausted with Brexit, which is completely understandable. However, this is not an excuse to say ‘let’s get it over with,’ just because we’re tired.’’
    EU Council President Donald Tusk calls on European leader to keep their focus.

And what a turn up for the books.......or words to that effect ......who'd have thought it?

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/nigel-f...=iNews - Daily RSS Newsletter&utm_source=hs_e

Nigel Farage is the ‘only thing that can save’ EU from Brexit crisis spreading, claims Guy Verhofstadt

Calvine, Elles, Arnie83 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

What a very intelligent chap that Mr Tusk is!! :Smuggrin

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice