Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Brexit........ anyone want to talk about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

In this country the choice is usually between what to eat, or what not to, than starvation, or even affordability. A lot of what is good for us is also cheap, it just isn’t ready packaged. Though of course we haven’t left the Eu yet and as according to some reports we’ll be grubbing in the dirt, or fighting in the streets, we might get there I suppose.

A woman whose children are dying of disease and malnutrition in a war torn, or famine affected country would be very envious of our definition of starving. I don’t think talking about starvation in this respect is being realistic tbh.

People who are genuinely starving, or going really hungry in the U.K. are quite unusual and there’s no need for it to happen. For those people, whether fish fingers and peas cost £1 or £5 would make no difference. Our welfare has failed them, it needs sorting out and it’s usually down to logistics and administration from what I can see, rather than lack of money and happens now, nothing to do with in, or out of the Eu.

For the rest of us a percentage increase in the cost of food isn’t going to break the bank and most of us could cut back on what we consume without ever being hungry and I include myself in that. Whether the possibility is a reason for staying in the Eu would be down to the individual.

The so called poor can speak for themselves and many will have voted to leave the Eu and for a conservative government. When I was poor, I wanted opportunity, not hand outs. The hand outs were temporary until I got back on my feet. So long as we’re able, I’m sure many of us with any sense could feel the same. It would have annoyed me no end, the well off going on about how I feel about it, or should feel and wanting to look after me, as though I’m some kind of incapable. I was poor, not paralysed from the brain down.

rona and Magyarmum like this.
  2. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I was talking in general terms about human nature in general, you know.

Still, if being moderately well off (these days, anyway) makes me ineligible to be (openly) concerned about those less well off, fair enough. :)

I will make a final observation that even a moderate percentage increase in food costs would be difficult for a significant number already hovering on the breadline, but I'll leave it at that.

KittenKong and noushka05 like this.
  3. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

The poor thing was aimed at Arnie, oops, sorry Jesthar. It’s just over and over, there we go again with‘the poor’ and how if multion billion dollar companies based in Asia, America, Russia, Japan don’t continue to make huge profits for their shareholders the poor will suffer. If the poor in this country don’t have enough to eat, that’s the fault of various government bodies who should make sure they do, or in some cases the poor themselves, who spent what little they have on something else. It has little to do with whether we’re in the Eu or not imo. The breadline has moved.

Magyarmum likes this.
  4. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

It reminds me of a discussion I had with a relative when I was in my teens. I said I couldn’t understand why elderly pensioners got so little money, it was all they could get for the rest of their life, when they were forced to just stop working. She said old people don’t need money for things like new clothes and make-up, so they don’t need as much and young people need jobs more than they do, so old people shouldn’t be allowed to work once they can retire. I wonder if she voted brexit and still thought the same way when she hit retirement age. :eek: She hardly worked a day in her life, spent most of it having kids and living off the state.

Magyarmum likes this.
  5. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

It doesn't matter how big the companies are or where they are based; if they make lower profits payable in the UK the Exchequer will have less to spend. But okay, we'll leave the poor to look after themselves.

If the Tory government have less taxes, they won't spend as much on environmental issues.

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Not if you're relying on food banks. When we leave the EU we will have a fraction of the choice we have now.

"The UK imports just over half of its food, and 60% of those come from the EU with a further 11% under EU agreements with over fifty non-EU countries. These trade deals will end if we crash out. https://infacts.org/nobody-voted-brexit-for-bigger-shopping-bills/

Classic whataboutism - again.

Obviously its going to push even more people struggling to make ends meet into food poverty.

Conclusion of the UN investigation.

[​IMG]

The tories have been deliberately dismantling the welfare state - when we leave they will ramp it up - Disaster capitalism.

It isn't the peoples fault they are stuck in a poverty trap , its the governments.

14 million people now living in poverty, millions using food banks, soaring homelessness, deaths on our streets, malnutrition & return of Victorian diseases and here is Theresa May telling us how lucky we are! Make sure people know the TRUTH
    https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1094890716780728321

...........................................................................................................................

KittenKong and Arnie83 like this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

8. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Did we let them get away with blaming the Eu for all our woes, for the last 40 years? Are we going to let them blame Brexit for the next 40?

9. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

The Tories, you mean?

Not entirely, but they certainly deflected a lot of the blame, and will certainly continue to do so. I've often wondered how the RWP and the Leave campaign managed to blame the struggling NHS on the numbers of mainly young, fit EU migrants clogging up the GP surgeries!

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I see another extremist has been allowed back into the Labour party

Magyarmum and Elles like this.
  11. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

12. noushka05

In what way are they celebrating? It looks like a straightforward news report to me, however, you are the one framing the story. You keep labelling these desperate people as 'illegal immigrants' even though you cannot possibly know that. And tbqh I'm not sure what this has to do with leaving the eu? As I've already tried to explain its already in our power to control of own borders & the UK deals with people who claim asylum at its own discretion.

When we leave the EU we will have less control of our borders however.
    Degradation of border security' under 'no-deal' Brexit, warns UK Border Force
    https://news.sky.com/story/degradat...no-deal-brexit-warns-uk-border-force-11614725

And my massive criticism of the BBC is they should screaming from the rooftops about a REAL crisis we face, the greatest crisis mankind has ever faced! - climate change. If they did, a few hundred people trying to find refuge in our country would pale into insignificance. Climate change will displace millions more people - we need to tackle the root of the problem to solve the refugee crisis.

KittenKong and Arnie83 like this.
  13. noushka05

KittenKong likes this.
  14. noushka05

This is great by David Schneider:p

:Singing

Brexiters, singing:

"Honda, Nissan, Panasonic
    Schaeffler, Airbus, Dyson, Sony
    Philips, UBS, Hitachi,
    Jaguar Land Ro.

Bupa, Axa, Flybmi
    Barclays, UBS, Toshiba
    UK’s richest man is leaving
    Ford and P&O

We didn’t start the fire
    Don’t say our words are weasel
    It’s because of diesel"

KittenKong likes this.
  15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Lord above that man is a painful bore.

He wasn't funny on Alan Partridge and he certainly hasn't improved.

:p

Magyarmum and noushka05 like this.
  16. noushka05

KittenKong likes this.
  17. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

It is the language used in the article, it almost feels like it should be celebrated that they got here safely, giving minimal coverage to the fact they could have stayed in any other country in europe they passed through. amongst many other things that could have been mentioned

Magyarmum likes this.
  18. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Derek hatton ? :eek:

rona likes this.
  19. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Aren’t we supposed to be voting in a labour government to take care of all that? The more profit a company makes, the more they have available to spend on clever accounting seems to me. Making more money doesn’t seem to equal paying more tax, unless we keep taxes low enough for them to stomach.

Tax havens don’t seem to struggle to get tax money. Britain becomes more tax beneficial and companies will choose to pay their taxes here. Look at the hugely profitable gambling companies leaving Gibraltar since they lost their tax benefits. Big mistake for Gib, but we had to be PC over gambling addiction and let countries who are less PC about it profit.

Swings and roundabouts.

kimthecat likes this.
  20. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Watching Politics Live , man said about Brexit , the result was absurd, subtitles said The result was a turd ! :Hilarious

I think Arniecat would agree with that . :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice