Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Brexit........ anyone want to talk about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Aug 21, 2018.

1. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Is there anything that we didn’t predict before referendum if Leave wins?
    It was obvious as the was no more information about Brexit than Brexit is Brexit- people who wanted it were having own and diverse ideas what it would be.

There were slogans and promises but no plan to vote for.
    Good to get more votes, but totally dishonest.

All assurances “ It will be easy, they need us more, we will have more money for NHS and more jobs without EU immigration, immigration will go down” were lies...

You would move out of your house without knowing where are you going?

Or quit your job without any offer just hoping something better will turn up?
    Especially when you were doing pretty well...

EU had faults, but became a scapegoat for all bad decisions.

Too many Islamic hate preachers?

Not enough houses, schools, money for NHS, wages too low?
    Blame the EU and immigration from there.

Because thanks to Tory Gov and Brexit there will be more and better paid jobs?
    More police, schools, hospitals, government housing?

ERG will make sure that you common people are so happy with your freedom from EU and ECJ...

Unicorns and rainbows ....

Arnie83 and KittenKong like this.
  2. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

Really?

Let's sum things up here. Cameron (a remainer) gave the referendum on the EU and left. Remainer May took over trying to deliver her version of Brexit which would have kept the UK bound to the EU. So yes remainers are at fault. Brexitiers haven't had a chance to do anything as we have a remainer PM creating the mess that the UK is currently in and no Brexitiers and leave voters did not vote for this they voted to leave and May is not delivering on this as she is a remain supporter.

End of summary.

#8142 stockwellcat., Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Calvine, AlexPed2393 and Magyarmum like this.
  3. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

You forgot the part where all the leading Brexiteers ran away even faster when they won... ;)

cheekyscrip and KittenKong like this.
  4. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

They didn’t did they, they put their names forward to become PM, but eventually TM won.

5. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

And how do you work that one out????

6. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

Brexitiers tried to oust remainer May so one of them could become PM and have their chance to deliver Brexit but failed. The PM is still a remainer and the Brexitiers still haven't had a chance. The mess over Brexit has been created by a remainer PM not a Brexitier.

AlexPed2393 and Magyarmum like this.
  7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

The sentence doesn't make sense perhaps you should rewrite it in better English?

Calvine and stockwellcat. like this.
  8. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

No it's been crated by the tories in fighting over the last 2 years, instead of getting on with sorting out a deal that everyone would agree with.

noushka05 and KittenKong like this.
  9. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Tory infighting regarding Brexit and because of Brexit, where those who supported Remain kept coming out on top

stockwellcat. likes this.
  10. AlexPed2393

They are a representative of us, so we have

stockwellcat. likes this.
  11. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

No wonder why my loyalties lie with politics North of the Border nowadays.

Brilliant!
    IMG_20190118_102120.jpg

cheekyscrip likes this.
  12. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

People who didn't vote for this mess shouldn't be included in the "we". Not a criticism at all. Be proud to say this isn't in your name, as I am.

cheekyscrip, Arnie83 and emmaviolet like this.
  13. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

You couldn't make it up.

Brexiters insist no further public vote over Brexit (PV). May and Corbyn also insist on that.

Without going through the lies, cheating etc. again the Leave victory was a narrow one with two out of four countries in the UK plus Gibraltar voting against Brexit.

May regards the four countries in the UK as a single country, or her little Empire.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is her Brexit deal. Apparently despite massively losing the parliamentary vote on Tuesday there's going to be another on the 29th!!!

Who argued about voting again until the right result is achieved?

Certainly, had Remain won by 52-48% they would have been at least another two public votes by now.

I rest my case.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  14. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I've nothing really to add.

I have found it very funny the last few days, those on here who were acting like I was a special kind of idiot to mention the word unicorn in this thread, it being about politics. There have been a number of articles this week with Unicorn in the headline for Brexit stories, including a great big picture of a unicorn in a Brexit story in The I (just came up on the papers report).

15. AlexPed2393

There shouldn't be another public vote as there has been several votes already to ensure the referendum even took place and then for article 50 to be put in place. No more votes

The UK is an UNITED kingdom so yeh the four countries are under one umbrella politically. Unless the countries want to be independent (which Scotland voted on and stayed as part of the union) then they stay as part of that United Kingdom.

Voting within Parliament for a deal, no deal or whatever deal is a very different story to changing the results of a referendum that was put forward for the people to vote on.

And no if leave voters lost they wouldn't have had several other votes, just as Remain hasn't had several other votes as it would be against the whole point of a democracy.

"I rest my case". sorry my lordship is everything you say correct or just an opinion just like what everyone else here writes.

16. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I'm with you.

I take no credit or vicarious pride in what 'we' do or have done in the past unless I have been personally involved, and I don't accept any blame for it either.

cheekyscrip and KittenKong like this.
  17. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

When people voted to Leave in 2016, they knew what they, personally, wanted. They knew in their own minds what 'leave' meant for them. By the end of the kerfuffle over May's Deal, they will know what it means in reality.

Some would have been persuaded to vote Remain by the warnings of economic damage should we leave, that have proved to be not as severe as some predicted. Some would have been persuaded to vote Leave by promises of much more money for the NHS, and by the assurances that we would not lose any of the benefits of membership, or by the threat of 75 million Turks flooding across the Channel. They all now know the accuracy of what previously persuaded them one way or the other.

Some (like me) made their decisions based on factors that have not changed at all.

But democracy can only be served by asking the People, in the light of reality instead of promises and threats, what their informed decision now is. There is a perfectly understandable reaction against that idea from those who fear the People might have changed their minds in the light of new facts, but claiming that reaction to be a defence of democracy is a disingenuous fig leaf that fools no-one. To refuse the People the chance to have their say is quite simply a denial of democracy.

#8157 Arnie83, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  18. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

On the surface, perhaps. Look a little deeper, and you soon realise they didn't exactly try very hard - just enough to make it look as though they had, and then they made a rapid tactical move to the sidelines and began sniping.

I can't say I blame them from a logical perspective, they are professional politicians and negotiating Brexit was always going to be the ultimate poison chalice - avoiding career suicide was the sensible option from their point of view. But to then blame it all on May is disingenous - leading the Tory party for the last two years has been a cross between herding cats and wrangling a nest of vipers at best.

Plus, it's easy to say 'a Brexiteer would have done better' - but how, exactly, could they, given the amount of backstabbing that has gone on even when Brexiteers have been given key roles? What could they have done differently to end up with that magical deal everyone can support?

There were - and are - so many conflicting demands and beliefs as to what version of Brexit the people actually voted for (plus, of course, personal and vested interests) there was no chance of any leader (Brexiteer, Remainer or miracle worker) coming up with anything the majority would approve. Businesses don't want No Deal, or any kind of deal that makes trade significantly more difficult, and businesses pour a lot of money in to political coffers. Hardliners don't want any form of links at all with the EU, and would prefer to sever all other organisational ties with Europe too, no matter what the impact. Ireland definitely does NOT want a hard border. We can't comment on what the citizens in the street thinks of the deal, as our democratic leaders refuse to ask them, on the grounds that if given the chance to democratically choose the final outcome of the Brexit process now they know what the actual deal on the table is, people might democratically vote differently than they did before, and that would be undemocratic.

19. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

If only it was true, I don't think either sides are coming out on top of this mess.

Well those who didn't vote will just have to put up with what happens and have no right to complain and should be shamed of themselves.

rona, AlexPed2393 and KittenKong like this.
  20. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I agree as far as those who could've voted but didn't are concerned , but don't forget many weren't eligible to vote, as those living outside the UK due to the 15 year rule the Cameron administration promised to rectify but, conveniently, not before the referendum and the 16-18 year olds.

I remember myself in 1983 I was too young to vote in that GE despite a few months away from turning 18.

I found that very frustrating...

noushka05, cheekyscrip and Happy Paws like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice