Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Brexit........ anyone want to talk about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Aug 21, 2018.

1. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

Yeah right. Dream on. The EU are not willing to change free movement. Stop trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. The EU want the UK to accept the free movement of goods, people etc etc. So what has changed? Nothing.

Blair is lying and so are those who believe him.

2. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

People on this thread and out in the Internet generally have complained that 16 and 17 year olds didn’t get a say. One would conclude from that, that if there is another referendum, they would want 16 and 17 year olds to vote in it. :confused: They are often the same people who have said that old people shouldn’t be able to vote, as it won’t affect them.

Still. I think maybe we can agree that there are some who would like 16 and 17 year olds to vote and feel that they are more relevant than older people? There seems a list of people that might vote remain, that remain voters would like to include next time. I’m guessing they wouldn’t be mentioned if it was thought they might vote leave. If 17 year olds were out waving placards that said ‘Brexit means Brexit, get on with it’ and ‘Poo the Eu’ or something, Remainers would be saying they’re too young to vote and leavers would be saying they’re not. :p

3. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I think Freedom of movement may well change, not least because the Eu want to keep its spot and more than the U.K. are complaining about it.

Arnie83 likes this.
  4. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

You do come out with some provocative statements, don't you!

noushka05 likes this.
  5. stockwellcat.

Good debates have a certain amount of heat in them. ;)

Sorry but I am not rolling over and accepting Blair's comments. He lead this country to war on lies. He cannot be trusted.

Regarding free movement the EU want the UK to accept the freedoms of movement so straight away Blair's comments are blown out of the water.

6. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

Exactly. That was what my comment was based on.

From Sky News
    Austria's vice-chancellor has called for EU member states to discuss reform of free movement.

Other EU member states have previously voiced concern about free movement rules.​

I've read several other comments from different officials saying the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

noushka05, cheekyscrip and Elles like this.
  7. stockwellcat.

But doesn't Austria have a far right government? Do you really think the EU will listen to Austria? I don't.

Elles likes this.
  8. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I try very hard neither to introduce nor respond to such heat, since that would only increase the temperature. I prefer to deal, instead, with the facts of a situation.

Whatever Blair's failings regarding Iraq might or might not have been, they have no relevance whatsoever when considering his knowledge of European politics. And conceding that there might be something behind what he says is not exactly 'rolling over', with its implications of blind acceptance.

noushka05 likes this.
  9. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

And the other EU member states who have also voiced their concern?

Things change.

noushka05, cheekyscrip and Elles like this.
  10. stockwellcat.

Other EU states have voiced their concerns yes. Has the EU addressed it. No they have so far brushed it under the carpet. Every country in the EU signed up to the freedoms of movement which the EU have said during the negotiations with the UK that they will not budge on the freedoms of movement.

You keep saying "Things Change". When?

#2450 stockwellcat., Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  11. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

All the time. Change is the only constant.

Some leavers have told me that the EU has changed too much since we joined it and that's why they wanted to leave.

12. stockwellcat.

Yes the trade agreement the UK originally signed up to has changed into something no one originally voted for in the original referendum.

The EU will not budge on the freedoms of movement every country in the EU signed up to them. The EU are never in any rush to reform anything. This is why the UK is better off out. In the EU 28 countries have to agree to any reforms and all the areas in Brussels this is why nothing happens at any speed.

#2452 stockwellcat., Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Elles and Magyarmum like this.
  13. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Here we go again. Blair backed the US in going to war with Iraq. Why not have a go at GW Bush instead or as well?

No GW Bush, no Iraq War. Simples.

14. stockwellcat.

Not true.
    Blair was responsible for the UK's engagement in the war. He is a war criminal and got away with it. I hope he can sleep at night knowing he sent the UK's soldiers to their deaths because they where poorly equiped and the aid workers as well? Blair is responsible and should be ashamed. SIMPLES.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  15. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

He's not the only leader to make mistakes. At the time I agreed with him whole hearted about sending in the troops.

KittenKong likes this.
  16. stockwellcat.

Don't care anyway about Blair. He just pops his head up now and again with meaningless banter. He is not doing the negotiations and hasn't got a clue like Corbyn.

17. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

U.K. soldiers volunteered to go to help the Iraqi people who were suffering under a dictatorship. The Americans claimed they had evidence that Saddam Hussein was killing his own people with chemical weapons and storing wmd.

Our people didn’t want to see another ww2 where ordinary people asked for help and got none until millions were already dead. I think Tony Blair was as fooled as the rest of us. It’s nearly always follow the money these days. :(

Arnie83 and KittenKong like this.
  18. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

In that joining the armed forces is (thankfully) a voluntary act these days or do you believe there was some sort of poll? My OH never got his ballot paper.

19. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Yes, in that joining is voluntary. Many joined at the time because of it.

20. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

This is my problem - if he can be fooled he is s fool, he was not the rest of us but PM .
    If and this IMO he knew as well as American leaders that WoMD is just fake news but the war will be good for business than he is a scum.
    So or a fool or worse. He might be right about EU but I would rather he did not represent Britain ever again.
    He is an expert though on how being BFF with USA might embroil Britain in unnecessary conflict far far away and staying in EU is a better option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice