Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Brexit........ anyone want to talk about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Aug 21, 2018.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

It's been said start a new thread about the subject if people want to discuss it. So here's the place:D

noushka05, cheekyscrip and Satori like this.
  2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Good luck with that ! :D

Calvine, Happy Paws and JANICE199 like this.
  3. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Brexit or The Great British C*ck Up :D
    Not me I heard yesterday on the radio.

cheekyscrip, kimthecat and JANICE199 like this.
  4. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

Absolutely not. Can we talk about cars and plants instead?

5. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

Not interested. I promised myself to avoid such threads.

#5 stockwellcat., Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Well we could start with:

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Interesting when they talk about the ferry crossings and lorries. As far as i know, these days only Dover is being used? Why not reopen the other ports and use them? More jobs would go down very well in the nearby areas.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  8. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Yeah well. I've heard it said that Britain could very well end up as third world country after Brexit.

Personally I think that's just the usual strategy of scaremongering because I honestly don't think things will improve that much.:Angelic

9. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

As with everything else that's easier said than done. The government have just over six months to plan ahead. Could the disused ports be up and running in that time? Will the NI border be up and running? No.

Even if this was achieved it wouldn't eliminate the problem with so many more vehicles on the road. As for jobs are they suggesting volunteers rather than paid staff?

The government should have been sorting this out two years ago if they believe they are delivering the Brexit the British people voted for.

It's undeliverable full stop. Remainers will get the blame for not getting behind it.

Tell you what. Might give up my job and concentrate on doing the Lottery as by believing in this I'm sure to win it!

#9 KittenKong, Aug 21, 2018
    kimthecat likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

11. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

As linked already in another thread, port authorities say apart from Dover, the other ports already have the logistics in place as they’ve been dealing with produce, imports and exports, worldwide for years. 95% of Eu produce goes through Dover, so it’s mainly Dover that needs sorting for Eu products after brexit.

Ps: if it isn’t sorted, that’s the current British government and probably the Eu at fault, not people who voted to leave.

12. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Anyway, I’m out. No one listens to anything I say anyway. Have fun scaring each other about how bad it’s all going to be. ;) I’ll wait and see.

Calvine and ClaireLouise like this.
  13. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I'm inclined to agree no brexiter voted for the chaos that could result, except the very rich ones who won't be affected by it.

Certainly, no one voted to be poorer did they?

The blame will 100% be on this government. The EU didn't trigger Article 50.

14. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I agree, Ramsgate for example could do with the jobs however.. who is going to pay for it all? As with a lot of thing brexit.. more costs for no real gain.

Can you point that link out again.. Politicians have been highlighting other ports I know and those I have seen. I know Associated British Ports operates Southampton and states that less than two percent of goods passing through are subject to physical checks by customs officials. However that is surely made possible by the 50+ trade arrangements through the EU allowing goods to be pre-cleared, even goods from outside the EU. We would lose that capability as we would no longer have those treaties until they can be renegotiated.

#14 Goblin, Aug 21, 2018
    JANICE199 likes this.
  15. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Totally agree. I would hope that no conventionally sane person voted for the chaos that might well now result. It was foreseeable as soon as Theresa May was appointed leader of the Conservative party however.

I always assumed that her appointment would mean that wouldn’t really leave after all. That may yet be the outcome. On the other hand, it may be that we serendipitously get the hard (leave without a deal) brexit that I have always preferred. However the big difference is that I would have liked no-deal to have been the default option so that we could have prepared properly for it... as opposed to the circus that we have witnessed over the last couple of years.

The current government has a great deal to answer for, not that they ever will of course.

JANICE199 and Elles like this.
  16. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

The economist recently posted a poll from 7th June 2016 which showed only a fifth of people when voting expected it would mean leave the single market/customs union. That's not who would agree to leave knowing it but shows how expectations were falsely set and how things have changed in 2 years. No shock considering even now, those pushing leaving the customs union and single market refer back to Cameron and what was labelled project feat, rather than the leave campaign's message. So how many of those who didn't expect it would mean leaving the single market would have voted differently?

Changing the subject slightly away from brexit (shock I know). What the whole process of brexit has shown is the complete lack of respect for the population by the UK politicians. It's pushed the idea that lies and misinformation is the way forward by politicians as they are not held accountable in any way.

17. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

What is it ? Have I missed something ?

cheekyscrip likes this.
  18. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I'll pass on this one thanks :D

19. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

We don't just have Ramsgate, how about Folkstone or Sheerness? As for the money. the money is there if we stop spending so much on wars that are nothing to do with us. ( imo ). :)

20. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I mentioned Ramsgate mainly as I know Thanet in general has suffered over the years with higher than average unemployment. Sheerness already has more capacity so from that aspect would be potentially better. Don't know about Folkestone. I agree about priority on government spending but that's not something brexit will change. If anything the "little nation" trying to prove itself and nationalistic, not patriotic, pride will probably mean more war spending to assert ourselves globally. The core fact remains though, it's another cost simply trying to match what we already have.

Now if you are going to push for opening new ports etc you should also push the idea of free ports. Again pros and cons to those and I am aware of nothing the government has previously mentioned which has indicated they are going to be on the cards, certainly in the short term. One of the primary disadvantages isn't something you'll notice mentioned anywhere.. the environmental impact. An important question: would free ports really make up for the losses due to the single market and customs union? Then again.. what is stopping the UK from having free ports whilst in the EU?

#20 Goblin, Aug 21, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice