Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeds for running?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by portiaa, Apr 29, 2011.

1. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Sorry I've probably annoyed most of you with my tonnes of threads about a new pup to join the family!

But this will be the last one! ..promise! ;)

..until next time anyway. :D

So looking into loads of breeds at the moment but I just can't decide. :eek:

I've decided I'm getting a Dane, but that might be slightly large at the moment so I'm going to wait until I move out (quite a few years) but I'd also like a small/medium breed to do agility with. :) not competitive just for fun. :)

But I've got sooooo many breeds on my list I'm just not sure :confused:

So I will tell you a little about myself/lifestyle and maybe you could suggest some breeds and answer the questions about them? :) thanks so much, you lot are stars! :D

Our family live an active lifestyle currently with 4 friendly dogs, so our new dog would have to be a sociable breed-not known for dog aggression :) we live right in the middle of the countywide with plenty of walks near.

I enjoy walking and could offer the dog 2 walks a day lasting two hours each and would be able to provide loads of mental stimulation through out the day with plenty of games. :) on the weekend the walks would be longer and exploring new places. -woods,fields,beach,forests,visiting family etc etc.. :)

I'd also love to be able to take the dog cycling, and have the dog run alongside me (not for long periods of time and obviously only once dogs are old enough!) so the dog would have to be a breed that could have stamina for long walks and quick bike rides. :)

So any ideas on a breed for me? :D. No very large breeds please, because I'm getting my Dane in the future and want a small/medium dog currently. (although if you have an idea of a large breed that might suit, please suggest) :)

Soo..questions..

1) is the breed you think suitable sociable with other dogs?

2) is the breed chosen able to go on long walks and short bike rides without getting over tired?

3) would the breed get along with cats if brought up with them? (I have 4:eek:)

4) is the breed a generally healthy breed? No major health issues common?

If you've got this far, thanks sooo much for reading! :) suggestions welcomed and appreciated. :) thanks everyone for the help, helpfully soon I will have found my breed. :)

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Well, part of my breed decision was based upon the fact that I love running and would like to do Cani - X when Kilo is old enough to start running with me. So....I would recommend a RR ;)

Two friends I know run with a springer and a collie; think most medium - large breeds can do fine.:).

3. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Thanks soo much! :) I've never looked into RR's a lot, but will deffinatly start doing more research and looking for breeders thanks agin!

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dalmatian :)

5. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

6. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

I have a Springer x Lurcher, and he's pretty quick lol,

But I agree with Dogless, I'd say majority Medium-Large breeds would be fine

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

How about a Pointer, the English variety, which was developed from the GSP, lovely dogs :)

8. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Thanks for the help! :)

Thank you, have been looking into them a fair bit recently, and will continue to do so. :)

9. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

My friend cycles with her springer , he ignores her cats but is a nogo with birds :p

10. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

A dally:D.......

11. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

If you want a small/medium breed, then all those mentioned would be too large.

What about a springer or cocker?

12. rona

rona Guest

Err I don't think they came from the GSP, but I agree, they would suit well

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Another vote for the GSP..... PM me when you get a minute :)

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

According to my research for a book they did Rona, the GSP is a more ancient breed, and the English added foxhound, to create a dog that had more drive, much to the consternation of the GSP people on the continent. At one point, foresters in Germany were required to keep at least one GSP for the use of the estate owner, apparently! The GWP is a much more recent addition, developed in this century.

15. rona

rona Guest

I thought it was recorded that they originated from Spain and the Spanish pointer of the 17th century and were then mixed with other breeds

16. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Miniature schnauzer!! :)

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Hmmm, they could well have had some input from Spain as well, but there is a known account of a GSP crossed with a foxhound as one of the forebearers of the Pointer we have here in England, he was called 'Dasher' from memory, and was a helluva dog.

As you know, many of the breeds were interbred back in the heydey of shooting to produce what would be the right dog for a particular set of circumstances, Labs have all sorts in there, as do other retriever, spaniel and gundog breeds. There are very few ancient and pure bred gundogs, the Hungarian Vizla, and Bracco Italiano being a couple that spring to mind. Many more have been developed recently (even if they generally existed already), to suit the modern shooting requirements.

18. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

.........Pomeranian... :p

xxxxx

19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Noooooooo, a Westie :D

20. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

No specific breed is guaranteed to get along well with cats and dogs, or to enjoy running, or to be healthy. But because you will be raising the puppy in a house full of cats and dogs and have it going out running as soon as it's old enough to do so safely, chances are that practically any breed you get would adapt very well to the lifestyle and the company, and accept your cats and dogs as family.

But yeah - Dalmatians were bred to run with horse drawn carriages, so they have good stamina. That was the first breed to cross my mind when I read the title of your thread.

Have you considered a rescue puppy? Mongrels are good dogs too.

Thinking of small/medium ones for agility, how about a Border Collie? If given enough exercise and companionship they are wonderful dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice