Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Carl786, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Carl786

Carl786 PetForums Newbie

Hi. Has anyone bred a Siberian and a Russian Blue? If so what did the offspring look like. Been trying to google it but I can’t find anything with this combination. Thanks

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Why in the name of sanity would anyone want to do that :rolleyes:

Fizzyfeet, O2.0, chillminx and 4 others like this.
  3. Carl786

Carl786 PetForums Newbie

Most of my family have cat allergies but we don’t have allergies to our pedigree Siberian. We can’t find a Siberian stud to mate her with so we’re looking for options. We don’t care about pedigree as we just want pets for our homes. Thinking about a Russian blue as it’s a other ‘Russian’ cat also it’s supposed to be hypoallergenic like our Siberian

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

That's not how crossbreeding works, you will not magically get hypoallergenic kittens by crossing one breed with another, whether or not both breeds are recommended for allergy sufferers.

Rather than breeding your cat you'd be better finding a good registered Siberian breeder so you & your family members can buy a kitten from them.

LinznMilly, O2.0, chillminx and 9 others like this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

What has the breeder of your girl said about this?
    If they agreed to her being bred they would be mentoring you to do things properly.
    The kittens would be shorthair, colour depends on what the girl is & carries.

Breeding isn't done to randomly cross breed and make pet kittens. There is far more to consider.

As above, why don't your family just buy pedigree Siberian kittens?

LinznMilly, O2.0, lorilu and 6 others like this.
  6. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Is it the case that your queen is on the non active register and that is why you cant find as stud as rightly so no one will let you use their stud cats?

No cat is hypoallergenic its the dander that all cats have that causes the allergy. Even hairless cats can cause allergies to people.

7. Carl786

Carl786 PetForums Newbie

Actually my cat is on the active register. The ‘breeder’ turns out is a back street cowboy even though everything suggested he was legit.

#7 Carl786, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

So chances are your girl is not a great specimen of the breed (and may not even be pure bred) so best neutered and enjoyed as a family pet.

If you breed her with another random cat, producing moggies, you will be a back yard breeder too imo.

ebonycat, O2.0, chillminx and 4 others like this.
  9. Carl786

Carl786 PetForums Newbie

she is registered, but like you said she isn’t a great specimen but we didn’t care about that as we just wanted a pet. And regarding the kittens we just wanted another and so did other members of my extended family, it’s not to be a backyard breeder

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

BYBs come in many varieties, not just the person with lots of cats producing huge numbers of kittens. 'just wanting a pet' is in my view one type of BYB.

LinznMilly, ebonycat, O2.0 and 5 others like this.
  11. Carl786

Carl786 PetForums Newbie

everyone has their own view

12. spotty cats

What is a backyard breeder?
    Backyard breeding is a term used to describe irresponsible breeding of animals.

Cross breeding, breeding from a poor quality cats to produce "just pets" is without a doubt irresponsible..

13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

This is without doubt one of the most commonly used excuses we see on this forum from people wanting to breed from a pet cat, and frankly we are all growing tired of it. If you and your extended family want a pet, then find a decent breeder and go and buy one, and accept that if you buy a cat when you have a cat allergy it may adversely affect you.

LinznMilly, ebonycat, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  14. Nikkitty

Nikkitty Banned

I wouldn't worry too much about most of the cruel comments here.
    Try to go pets4homes -> look for Siberian studs maybe up to 50miles away from you if you're willing to travel with a car.

If not,

If you decide to breed with the Russian blue, make sure the owner can show you proof of FELV/FIV tests, as these conditions are very nasty and can pass to your cat making her sick, and the kittens too.

I wish you the best and I don't know how pet forums works but I hope you can send me pics of the cute new little babies. Good luck!

15. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Clearly you don't know how Pet Forums works, the only breeding it doesn't disapprove of is with active registered cats of the same breed, or with an approved outcross.

Encouraging breeding a cross between a Siberian and a Russian Blue in the hope - which is all it is - that the kitten or kittens will be hypoallergenic clearly goes against that. And, of course, there is also the hope that nothing will go wrong during pregnancy, kittening & lactation. Believe me, whilst it doesn't happen often, if it does it can easily be ££££ at the out-of-hour vets.

Suggest a read of this: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/theres-no-such-thing-hypoallergenic-cat-180968819/

16. spotty cats

Your own experience of the fake KM should alert you to P4H not being a quality place to find good breeders in the majority of cases.

Some legitimate, registered breeders may advertise but it's a haven for byb especially if you don't know what to look for.
    Encouraging someone to breed a cat not registered for breeding, with the purpose of cross breeding or 'just 1 litter for pets' is the height of irresponsibility.

17. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

seriously! After the add you were looking at! And you recommend it! :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

lenanowa, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice