Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

breeding wrong blood groups

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by we love bsh's, Apr 1, 2011.

1. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

is there a risk if you put Ab queen to b stud i thought there was a small risk.

#1 we love bsh's, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Yes!!!!

There is a risk if a kitten's blood group is different to mum's blood group.

Ab mum to b stud will have kittens that are either Ab or b. The b kittens will be at risk from fading kitten syndrome if they suckle from mum for the first two days.

Best way to think about it is that AA queens can go to any stud. bb queens can only go to bb studs. Ab queens can only go to AA studs.

3. we love bsh's

That is what i thought im glad i was right it means iv learnt something lol.Why is it then that a breeder i have come across is doing such a thing and breeding the Ab queen and b stud, this seems wrong to me and not fair on mother nor kittens

4. messyhearts

Some people take the risk and then hand feed kittens for the first day or two as it is the colostrum that has the antibodies that attack the blood cells. Others think that b kittens to an A mum are okay or at virtually no risk but they are at a risk.

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I think it was messy who did a fab post a while back about blood groups, maybe a idea to re-post it? :)

6. messyhearts

There are 3 blood groups but 4 possible combinations when it comes to mating decisions for breeds affected by blood groups. There are:

• AB
    • AA
    • Ab
    • bb

AB is a blood group on its own & not a whole lot is know about this group when it comes to matings as it is uncommon.

AA is a "pure" A group and bb is a "pure" B group whilst "Ab" is an A group carrying the b group - confusing because written down it looks like AB.

ANY MATING that has a risk of kittens being of a different blood group to mum is potentially lethal.

Please refer to this guidance:

Dr. Addie - Feline Blood Groups

Mum Ab should be mated to an AA only
    Mum AA can be mated to any
    Mum bb should be mated to bb only

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

wow thats alot to take in, or maybe its because im not a breeder, is it only BSH that this applies to, or is it with any other breeds.:)

8. messyhearts

There are a few breeds. Birmans, BSH, Rexes and others that I am probably not aware of.

9. we love bsh's

well this particular breeder had 4 kittens and 1 died so im betting that thats the reason it died.I dont think its a risk worth taking. She obviously does:(

10. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Persians too...

11. messyhearts

Makes sense as that will be where Birmans got it.

12. messyhearts

It's possible. Usually kittens affected by kitten fading syndrome, 'at best' lose part of their tail and 'at worst' die in the first few days.

13. we love bsh's

Iv been having a conversation with a different woman who is trying to sell some Ab blood kittens,i have told her that i can not buy one from her as they are the wrong blood group for me as my male will be a b blood.She was saying to me i will av no problems with these 2 blood groups i was saying i will av problems and there is a risk.She wouldnt have none of it tho.ill leave her to think that:rolleyes::

14. we love bsh's

where birmans got what?

15. messyhearts

Some breeders are set in their ways, sadly.... Why bother testing their blood groups if they are going to ignore the risks? :rolleyes::

B type blood groups. Most breeds have A type only.

16. we love bsh's

ah i see what you mean and yeah what is the point in testing if she is going to ignore the risks.Even talked to a 3rd breeder why told me she doesnt bother to blood group test her cats she said 'there are more important things to worry about' i cant believe it myself.

17. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

I've been studying this in more detail since last year's litter and here is the situation:

Group A has a dominant inheritance over Group B.

Group B cats have very effective antibodies against the red corpuscles of Group A, so when a B queen is mated to an A stud, the litter will be group A - they will be born healthy but when they take and ingest the first milk (colostrum) and therefore the antibodies of their mother, this will destroy their red corpuscles, which leads to death.

Group B males can be bred to Group A and B females, without exception.

Group A males can only be mated to Group A females.

Group B females can only be mated to Group B males.

Group A females can be mated, without exception to Group A and B males.

The problem happens when Group B queen is mated to a Group A stud, you don't want Group A kittens to be born to a Group B mother!

My girls are Group Ab and i am using both A and B studs without issues. :)

18. messyhearts

I completely disagree, Alison. There is a risk for B group kittens to a A group mum.

Dr. Addie - Feline Blood Groups

I think a lot of breeders are chancing Ab to B group studs. Kittens should not have a different blood group to mum.

#18 messyhearts, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  19. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

I haven't heard of anyone losing any kittens after this mating, have you?

I know of several breeders who abide by the rules i posted above and have never had problems.

There is always going to be variations of rules but i stand by what i've said.

20. messyhearts

As outlined in the above [and extensive] article on the topic of blood groups in cat breeding - the more a A type dam has B type kittens the more the antibodies build up....

Hell of a risk to play anyway - we're talking about lives if not abnormalities of kittens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice