Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding 'Thoughtfully'

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sleeping_Lion, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'm a newcomer to this breeding malarky, I've done the health tests, pedigree research, and even got mentors to help me through the first few litters. But, most importantly of all, I've got something very important, at least in my eye.

I have someone interested in running a pup on for me with a view to training towards field trials; this may not mean much to most people, but field trials are the absolute optimum you could hope to achieve with a Labrador, working wise. To have someone even think they might be able to work towards that with one of your pups, looking at the breeding you're planning, is nice, to put it incredibly briefly.

I hope any breeding I undertake will be done as thoughtfully as this first litter I plan.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'm hoping the lack of response, has meant that those people that don't understand what is behind breeding, have been thinking.

Another sweeping statement with regards to my first litter. I would like to keep on a bitch and dog pup to run on myself. If I could guarantee only three pups from this litter, it would be ideal, I wouldn't want any more, and I'd like to also add, the one being run on with a view to field trialling wouldn't be 'sold'.

I see so many posts about litters, with so many pups, and then see rescue sites that describe having to have dogs put to sleep, with having to shave their legs, and put a needle into their trusting paw. I do my bit for rescue whenever I can with art work, raising money with charity auctions, donations etc, and even taking on rescue dogs.

Some people might think I'm barmy, I could mate choc to choc with Tau, particularly if I dna tested colour wise, there is a case for pale chocs being able to be reproduced. Personally, that doesn't float my boat, I'd like a couple of pups from her to carry on that I know have ability, in my hands, or in someone else more experienced, makes no difference to me. I love working Labs and love to see them being worked, and hope one day to be a competent handler myself.

So, why do you breed, what is your motive??

3. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Well done for breeding thoughtfully.

We sell all of ours as pets primarily, but one of ours has gone to an "occassional" working home :D His owner sometimes takes him out beating and he is really good at it and loves it, see, the show bred labs can do it ;)

I think the reason you havent had the responses is because your post is more of a commentry rather than asking a question lol. People probably dont really know what to say.

So, in response to your question, i breed to further my breed and improve my own line with an aim to keep at least one puppy from each litter to show. As most of our pups go as pets, we also breed with temperment as an absolute priority. Not one of our dogs has even a hint of aggression, but i would remove any dog (no matter how nice it looks) from the breeding programme if it did show aggression. With my breeds that i am breeding now (labs and pugs) there is no excuse for any aggression IMO.

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Is the person asking to run it on an experienced trialler themselves, and I assume you are using a trial bred sire?

There is a massive difference between a working dog and a dog that trials, so congratulations. There are an increasing number of people trying to breed good working chocolates, something which you never saw in the past, simply because they were mainly show or pet bred (and often very poor breeding). Can I be nosey and ask what sire you are thinking of using?

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Jess, I agree 100% re the temperament, just one of the things I like about my girls.

I've thought about the keeping one pup from a litter thing myself, and to be honest (and as an aside to this thread) if I produced a stunning litter that was so good I wanted to repeat it, and not keep a pup, I would.

Dundee, the dog I am looking at currently (and I have changed my mind umpteen times) is Lowforge Aragon of Leacaz; I've been to see a few, and this boy has really caught my eye. I'm not experienced show wise to fully appreciate conformation, but from my artistic view, he isn't too long in the body, where some working dogs seem to be, and he's fabulously muscled across the loin, again, an area that I find some working dogs don't seem to have the build. He has shown a huge amount of potential and impressed a fair few onlookers so far with his ability.

The person who has agreed to run a pup on is experienced in working and competition, and I count myself incredibly fortunate that they are at all interested.

It's funny what you say about working chocolates, I was under the impression from reading up (and correct me if I'm wrong) the original Labradors were black and brown, with the introduction of yellow through an injection of hound into the breed. Brown dogs though were always (for whatever reason) less desirable, and used to be culled, although their recent popularity as pets, and then show, has meant a huge number being bred, some of which unfortunately has been via the lovely puppy farmers/byb type cashing in, and meant that chocolates have gained an unwarranted reputation from thoughtless breeding (see how I tied that in neatly with the thread title ;) )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice