Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding terms

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by RSLuscombe, Oct 20, 2020.

1. RSLuscombe

RSLuscombe PetForums Newbie

Sorry a bit long winded. My daughters ex boyfriend took a puppy on breeding terms no money exchanged hands and no written contract. My daughter boyfriend left leaving her the dog. She asked the breeder to take the dog back again verbally the breeder said she didn't want her and gave a name of a rescue centre. She then gave me the dog and I had her chipped in my name. The breeder has had 2 litters from 2 other dogs and they have all died and now she wants this dog I have back. She wants to breed her have the puppies delivered by caesarian section and once that has been done I can have the dog back. She is a British bulldog and the vet has said anaesthetic is dangerous for that breed of dog do I have any legal right to stop this from happening. Rspca and citizens advice have no clue any.help would be appreciated

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

With no contract in place, the Breeder has no rights whatsoever.

If it were me, I would have your bitch spayed as soon as possible.

Stand your ground - the Breeder cannot insist upon anything.

3. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'took a puppy on breeding terms'?

I cannot see any legal reason why you would need to hand a dog that is in your care to the breeder - you have no contract with her; she may want it, but any previous agreement is with your daughters ex.boyfriend not you.

#3 Dog-dogs, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  4. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It means that sometimes, if someone has bred a litter and wishes to perpetuate the line, they will let a bitch pup go on the understanding that no money changes hands, but the Breeder does reserve the right to have one litter in the future from that bitch.

The Breeder would not be entitled to the whole litter, but one pup.

Such an arrangement, properly done, can work fine, but the Breeder in this scenario does not sound caring or conscientious and I would not be allowing a bitch of mine to go back to her.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Dog-dogs like this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I had a pup on breeding terms many years ago. I had to give 2 puppies from the first litter but in this case it does not sound as if the breeder did it properly and if she suggested putting the dog in rescue how could she expect to have her back now. I think getting her spayed is a very good idea.

niamh123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. RSLuscombe

RSLuscombe PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all your help

8. David C

David C PetForums Senior

No written contract she hasn't got a leg to stand on as it were. The dog is chipped into your name so get her booked in to be spayed on Monday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice