Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding Terms

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by luvmydogs, May 25, 2010.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Have you ever sold a pup on Breeding Terms? If so, what were your terms?

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

hm, I guess no-one has..........

3. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

nope never., never would and would never buy one in on terms.

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

What are your reasons not to?

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i wouldn't want to put pressure on a novice to breed

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

What if it wasn't a novice?

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I had a bitch go in shared ownership overseas for showing / breeding - unfortunately - the owner suffered poor health and only ended up doing a few shows.

As far as I was concerned though, she was a friend who had helped me a great deal - and so long as the girl is happy (which she is - who wouldn't be with 3 playmates, 4 acres and your own pool :rolleyes:) - that's all that matters :D

===============

On a more serious note, I did bring in a bitch on breeding terms, and it didn't work out :( so - for me to consider it again, it would have to literally be too good an opportunity to say no to.

8. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I knew someone who bought a dog on a breeding contract, from what I heard it was a nightmare.

The breeder had nothing to do with the owner until the dog was of the right breeding age. She sorted out the stud and arranged a mating. The owner had to deal with the whelping with no experience. When the pups were 6 weeks old the breeder turned up and took them away. :(

The breeder provided no financial or emotional support either.

She intended to do the same a year on, but the owner had the bitch spayed.

9. mel

mel PetForums Member

Ive never done it but had friends in the breed do it..one in particular bought a bitch off a top show kennel with terms they had the first litter back..they piled pressure on her wen she was on her third season to mate her even though she didnt want to due to her not thinking she was mature enough anyhow she did with disasterous results mum became very ill and pups where delivered early by c section sadly mum n pups died...

On the other hand for others it works fine they get a nice bitch to show and the terms are when she is old and mature enough to breed they use a stud the previous owner requests and they hand over pick of the litter.....so i suppose its on what terms but its crucial to have it on pen and paper for all involved xx

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I had someone wanted a bitch on breeing terms but I said no.

My reasons were because they said when the bitch was old enough to breed I could choose the stud and have 2 picks of the litter. They were mother and daughter it was the mother that I knew. I said if anything happened to the mother what would happen as I didn't know the daughter also what if I concidered the bitch as not good enough to breed off.

As it was I was right the mother was diagnosed as having cancer and passed away last year when the bitch was just 2 years old and in my opinion wouldn't have been old enough to breed off.

I do have Freyja whose breeder offered me for sale OH knew I wanted her so came to an agreement with them we paid part of the purchase price and then when we breed off her they have pick of the litter.

11. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

Fortunately i don't have many bitches born in my litters , the last 3 litters i've had produced 4 bitches, 3 live here and my friend has the other ........bought outright..I know of some who've bought a bitch for a large sum on terms, every litter bitch has breeder has to have half the money from the litter. As i said earlier wouldn'y sell one on terms or buy one on terms.

12. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I have given a few bitches on breeding terms.
    Loaner campaigned the bitch. I chose the stud and arranged the mating. Paid for everything to do with whelping. I get pick of litter. They got second pick. If they wanted another, they had to buy the pup from me. The bitch remains at loaners house. I am there for whelping and stay for a week to help with shift changes. Litter registered with me.
    Any "profit" from litter after all vet bills are paid, raising the litter until 8 weeks, health testing of bitch etc is split 50:50, but believe me not much profit, if any!!!. My bit goes to my dog fund, their bit is put towards their time taken off work.
    Do this for 2 maybe 3 litters if applicable (obviously not all should have 2 litters for variety of reasons ie bad mum, health problem turns up, hernias etc).

The bitch is then spayed and signed over to loaner for showing or pet purposes, or returned to me, but, I haven't had one out on breeding terms ever come back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice