Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

breeding snakes

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Charlie and Alex, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Charlie and Alex

Charlie and Alex PetForums Newbie

Hi. My 14 year old daughter wants to start breeding snakes. It seems right up her alley and she is very committed and wants to be a vet later so this is a good experience. Any advice before we finally agree? she is keen to bread either a King Snake or Ball python but open to any advice. We live in London.
    Thanks for any guidance.

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Does your daughter have any experience in keeping snakes? I know a lot of reptile keepers breed, so my opinion is probably an unpopular one, but there are soooo many breeders out there (especially of royal/ball pythons) does she really need to add to that?
    kingsnakes are common but, with all their varieties, are less common then royal pythons and she may find them easier to sell on. My snakes and just pets though and I’ve never intended to breed so can’t answer any specifics.

if she’s never kept snakes before then I would advise she gets used to caring for them before she thinks about breeding. There’s a lot of prep needed to breed, the snakes need to be a decent size and weight, they need to be brumated over winter and slowly brought back up to temp, the breeding (especially with kingsnakes) should be supervised as they can harm each other and, with kingsnakes, I believe their sizes need to be similar as king snakes will eat other snakes. Then, when the eggs are laid, you need to remove them (not always an easy task) and incubate them at the right temperature. There’s a lot more to it then that but those are the basics (as far as i know).

3. Charlie and Alex

Thanks so much for this feedback. Do you know if there is a breeders forum or group specifically, maybe she could assist them? She doesn't want to be a massive breeder, just learn about it and breed a few clutches. We have researched a lot about the breeding process already so what you mention above is familiar. Thanks for the advice on which snakes to breed. Any more advice on that would be helpful.

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

There is a reptile specific forum - I used to go on it but not so much anymore as my snakes are just pets. I think it’s just called reptileforums.co.uk - there will definitely be some breeders on there who can advise.
    There are many Facebook groups for the various species of snakes so she could look at joining them and asking for advice there.
    if the world wasn’t as it is at the moment, I’d suggest going to a reptile show or two (there are a few I think up and down the country but Doncaster springs to my mind as that’s close to me!) and speak to breeders in person there.

We do have at least one member who breeds her snakes Acidic angel who may be able to give more advice but I haven’t seen them on in a while unfortunately

5. Charlie and Alex

Lovely thanks so much for your advice. Will follow those up for sure.
    Alex

Teddy-dog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice