Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding size? At risk?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Barbara Fontes, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Barbara Fontes

Barbara Fontes PetForums Newbie

I have two morkies one she’s more yorkie and a teacup 4.8-5 pounds and the other he’s more Maltese 7.8-8 pounds. I want them to breed no selling just expanding the family. I have no expectations on home many puppies, I’m more concerned and need advise if he’s too big for her and if it’s worth the risk. 1A792490-7949-4FDC-97CC-62892159A9E6.jpeg

Magyarmum likes this.
  2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF :)

I agree with your suggestion that it’s not worth the risk. Breeding is risky at the best of times, let alone with a very small bitch and bigger sire. I know if I was in your situation I would never forgive myself if something happened to my beloved girl.

Why not look for a reputable breeder of purebred Yorkies or Maltese? I’m guessing you want to breed your dogs because they have lovely characters - a responsible breeder will be breeding for temperament and will be able to provide you with a lovely, healthy addition to your little family without the risk to your beautiful girl. Or otherwise have a look around at rescues - puppies do get handed into rescues, it’s not just older dogs.

Your dogs are gorgeous - what are their names?

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Yes, I’d say he’s too big and if she’s a so called “teacup” then she’s too small.

No good reason to breed these two dogs imo.

Give it a few weeks and there will be lots of pups in rescue (unwanted Xmas presents) that you’ll be able to assess for temperament and fit with your own dogs.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

'Tea -cup' is simply the product of breeding of undersize dogs and as this can cause so many health issues in itself, I really wouldn't put your bitch through the trauma of pregnancy whatever the size of the stud. You may also have problems with the pups (we have recently had a thread re a puppy nearly being lost to hypoglycemia). But yes, the stud you have would most likely cause issues and at best, result in a Cesarian. Enjoy your little dogs for what they are - family pets. They are very sweet.

J

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d get them neutered ASAP too, just in case.

Sarah H, O2.0, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The sire should ideally be no bigger than the bitch, or only very slightly. The risk from breeding those would be considerable.

7. Barbara Fontes

Barbara Fontes PetForums Newbie

Much appreciated thank you for that cookie and biscuit are the names

McKenzie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice