Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding question?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by my pack my life, Feb 5, 2008.

1. my pack my life

my pack my life PetForums Newbie

My beagle is due on Feb. 14 and I haven't been able to hear the puppies heart beats with my stethoscope. I know she had has one other litter and the puppies were all healthy. I skipped a heat and bred her again. On the day she was supposed to have her pups she didn't so I waited till the next day. She had one and it was dead. I took it for an autopsy and the vet said it suffocated. I guess she was holding it in too long or something. But she didn't show any signs of labor till the day she had it. I also was able to feel it moving and I thought there were more. B/c she was so big. This time I skipped a heat again and she doesn't look pregnant. I don't know what the problem could be. Do you all think she could have something. If she isn't I'm going to have her tested. My yorkies came into heat and it was their third time and the first time I bred them. They didn't have any pups on the day I thought they were. Do you all think my stud was just too young? The girls are 3 and he was 10 months. He didn't tie with the first but he did get good action. My second did tie and it was like her 14 th day. No pups for them either. BTW my Beagle is 4. This will be her last litter if there are no pups. My Yorkies I will have to see in a while. :eek:

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Best thing you can do if u decide to breed again is get your vet to do the pre-mate test on your bitch, It tells you when the female is ovalating, Once the vets give you the go ahead you can use your stud on her or rush her of to a lined up stud..if nothing happens if you use your stud then maybe it is your stud thats the problem?.

Also i had a m8 of mine whos female carried only 1 pup, It was a day late so she ended up having a c section and it survived :D, I've heard that pups being born stimulate eachother and if there is only one pup the chances of that being born all by itself are slim because they need the stimulation of the others to help it on its way.

3. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

I don't know if your vet does ultrasounds where you live but they do here in the states. I know of a lab who was carrying one pup, the pup got so big because there was so much room for him to grow the vet had to do a C-Section on the bitch but it saved the pup. The pup is grown and still HUGE! I've had ultra sound done on my female too and it's pretty accurate. I just don't know if they can do it a week before the litter is due to whelp?? Maybe your vet could help. Good Luck. Hope you have a nice healthy litter and mom bounces back quickly:)

4. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

This 1 staffy baby my m8s dog had was massive aswell, He was the size of an eight week old pup when he was coming upto 4 weeks, I know this coz my other m8 had an eight week old staffy and we sized em up, Unbelivable the size he was.

5. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i breed my bitch 6 months ago now i had her scaned and everything looked fine, she didnt seem to get very big so we took her for a second scan saw 5 pups but could have been alot more, got told everything was fine again, she still didnt seem to get any bigger and was not eating just drinking vet said not unusual for that stage as there was not alot of room left, so okay went home in the week befor she was due she went into labour but not a good thing she was early and there was a bad smell :( rushed to the vets after a night up with her and she then had to have c section but to my horra there was no pups left just a horrible mess :mad:, so if it was me i would have her checked as quikly as possible and make sure they check properly as i nearly lost my girl aswell as pups. when she was mated they never tied but as far as i new she was pregnant as the scan showed pups, but for some reason they did die in the last weeks of pregnancy:( can happen, maybe he is a bit young and just nothing happened, fingers crossed that is it and not something else

6. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

I'm so very sorry to hear that:( Sometimes the pups will absorb into the bitch. Sometimes there is a false pregnancy. My female had a false pregnancy, she looked big, she dug a hole to have them in (I was at work) and no pups, her milk came in, it was leaking all over the place, my poor girl was so depressed and we went through quite a grieving process in our household. I know how you feel. I've read that usually there's something wrong with the pups the reason they die. I'm glad you're girl survived.

7. my pack my life

Well we don't have ultra sounds here. But I am patiently waiting for the birth. She didn't show till like the very last week. So I'm hoping. If yes this will be her last If no it will still be her LAST!
    As for my Yorkies I am hoping that my male was just too young. @ 10 months I've heard it was a bit young. But I have seen 7 month old male Chihuahua's mate successfully. We will see.:D

8. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

Did Your beagle have pups? If so how many and are they all healthy and well?

9. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Yes your stud dog is too young, he needs to be at least 18 months old. Seems you have had some bad luck on your hands but you dont seem that experienced and maybe you should get tests done and gather up some much needed information off the net before trying for anymore pups. Good luck.

10. Dorastar

Dorastar PetForums Junior

I had a terrier male of 8 months mate a bitch and produce 7 pups.

11. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

My male stud dog bred at 10 months successfully! I think it depends on the breed and how fast your stud dog matures. Again each dog and breed is different.

12. my pack my life

Well I have been breeding sucessfully for 8 years and never had this happen before. My male being so small I have been told that he just might not be producing sperm yet. My 7 month old Chi was the one that was a sucessful breeder at such a young age. No my Beagle didn't have any puppies and I have an appt for her to be spayed. As for my Yorkies I am studding them out to my friends small male as my male matures. My vet checked her and said that it must have been a miss on her cycle. B/c she is fertile and has no infections. But he will spay her anyways. I don't like waiting and not having nothing in the end and I'm sure she feels the same way. She is such a loving girl I just can't put her through another breeding again! My Yorkies I am going to see when they come in heat again.:) Thank you all for the help.

13. rona3579

rona3579 PetForums Newbie

Snap I have a cairn terrier dog 10 month mated with my bitch she produced 7 lovely puppies yesterday. 3 boys 4 girls I don't think age has anything to do healthy puppies.

14. rona3579

rona3579 PetForums Newbie

I to have a young male 10 months who mated with my bitch (Cairn Terriers) She produced 7 healthy pups yesterday. I don't thing age has anything to do with the health of the litter.

15. my pack my life

Do you have any pics of the 7 lovelys? Would love to google over them!!! I do love the sent of puppy breath wins over dog breath any day!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice