Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Breeding queen

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by catgirlforever, Jan 12, 2018.

1. catgirlforever

catgirlforever PetForums Newbie

hi all

I’ve just joined this forum. Although I’ve bred cats in the past I’ve been out of the scene for a good few years.

I’m about to embark once again and have a pressing question. Is it possible to allow a breeding queen to go out whilst she isn’t ‘calling’. Naturally I understand the risks etc but given it’s going to be at least a year before I’m ready to breed from her I’d really like her to be able to explore outdoors if possible. I live in a rural area & have a large garden. It seems such a shame to have to keep her confined.

I just wondered if any other breeders adopt this view or does it make it all the more difficult to keep them in when necessary once they’ve become used to the freedom.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It would be far too risky imo to let a breeding queen out at any time. She could easily come into call without you being aware of it. She would be at risk of picking up all manner of things from other cats she might encounter - from fleas to viral infections.
    You could cat proof your garden or build a run if you wanted her to go out but free roaming? No.

Firedog, AmsMam, buffie and 5 others like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @catgirlforever and welcome. :)

I agree with Lynn, far too risky to allow a breeding queen outdoors to roam, at any time. Oestrus can be triggered by mating, so if an opportunistic passing tom cat manages to seduce her, she will likely become pregnant, even if she was 'between calls' at the time you let her out. That's aside from the fact that some queens are 'silent callers' anyway.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Why would it be a shame to keep her confined? I’ve never had a free roaming cat and never would. Enclosure or harness & lead is the only way a cat should be outdoors.

Cats are induced ovulators, it’s the act of mating that releases the eggs, they don’t need to be in heat that’s just the time they’re more receptive to the male.

buffie and Rufus15 like this.
  5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

To be frank, if I still had a stud boy and somebody asked to use him with a girl who was allowed to roam free, I would refuse.

AmsMam, Tigermoon, chillminx and 3 others like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Why would you want her to roam? As Spotty says she can be successfully mating without a heat cycle so would be massively at risk of FeLV, FIV, and a moggy pregnancy. A more sensible option would be to provide an enclosed run or fully cat proof your garden, if you are set on her going outdoors.

buffie likes this.
  7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

She will get pregnant. Mine can not be in call in the morning and clearly in call in the evening

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

No she will get caught by a random male

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice