Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

breeding problem

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by davist, Jan 25, 2008.

1. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

My female has had 3 litters in the past. We use to have the stud dog on our property so trying to pin point the breeding time was not an issue. The last 2heats were not successful breedings, I thought I had "missed" the ovulation time. We've tried 2 different stud dogs, the female stands for them but the dogs do not tie up and there is no litter. This is the 3rd breeding attempt, the 3rd heat and we've had a stud dog here from day 8 of her heat until today which is the 13th day still the stud dog does not try to long and doesn't tie up. The female is standing for him and has her tail to the side. What is the problem? I don't get it? The stud dog has bred in the past too??

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

The most common reason for missing is getting the wrong time.

How old is your bitch? To have had 3 litters and to have missed on 3 recent seasons she must be getting on a bit? A bitch has usually just 6 productive years (around 2 years to before her 8th birthday), and you would have a year or so between litters?

At day 13 in my breed it would be a rare bitch that was ready most of the successful outcomes I have had have been mated on days 15 to 17.

If the stud is experienced then if he is not that interested she isn't ready.

Bitches that have had litters previously will often be very willing to mate for prolonged periods, but a good stud will know when she is actually ready. What days did she stand for the last 3 litters, as if it was a similar time for each one then that is a good indication, though each season can be different.

If she has already had 3 litters then she should have produced something worthwhile for you already and perhaps it is time to retire her.

3. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

She is 4 1/2, still in her prime. She is a larador retriever.

We have a waiting list of people who are wanting to buy pups and have been waiting since the last heat. I always skip a heat between litters and do plan on getting her spayed if she has another litter. I'm feeling bad about having to make phone calls once again to people on the waiting list.

Maybe I just need to give them more time. I don't know the day of her heats when she bred in the past, I didn't worry about it because we owned the stud dog and he lived here on the property. The only thing I really kept track of is the day they first bred so I would know when it was time for her to whelp. We no longer own the stud dog, we are using someone elses.

4. nici

nici PetForums Senior

my bitch never used to tie right until the end of her season, she like yours would stand and move tail but still it didnt happen till the end . and i mean the end, i always think i missed it as she was always at the end of 3 weeks. i had a stud her with me from the 6 day and he stayed for two hole weeks and still nearly missed it as they only tied the day before he was due to be picked up:eek: hope this helps:D

5. CreatureCrazy

CreatureCrazy PetForums Junior

So your bitch is 4 1/2 years old, has had three litters already and the past three seasons hasn't been 'caught'? :confused:

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I myself would recommend getting pre-mate test done on her next season, Maybe going from her 12th day upwards, Befor that make sure u get a experienced stud lined up who is well proven.
    The pre-mate test showed my female was'nt fertile untill her 19th day, I was shocked at the 19th day because its so close to coming of her season, But she still took and had 9 babys to show 4 it :).

7. garryd

garryd Guest

some bull terriers have huge litters ! my tia came from a litter of 11 :eek:

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

:eek::eek: wow,,,your have your hands full then,,if she takes after her mum,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D:D

9. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Good gawd :eek: 11 of the terrors :eek: 9 was hard enough to hand rear, Let alone having an extra 2 ontop :eek:

I called all mine the bull terrorist lol, They was so cute yet so naughty lol.

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my dog had a litter abou 7 years ago she had 12 2 passed away but we had 10 little terrors to care for luckily for us she was a great mum :)

11. garryd

garryd Guest

i would rather a smaller litter and more healthy if you know what i mean !;)i would rather the bitch be taking care of them than bottle feeding them all !:eek:

12. colliemerles

we had a staff that had 9,, blooming hard work,, we lost the smallest,, it was really nice to all white with a black eye patch and ear, my other staff had 4 pups and that was much better, for her and me,,,,,,,,,,,,,

13. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

Breeding problem solved. They did tie up yesterday, day 14. They needed a little assistance, the stud is a bit smaller. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement!:):)

14. colliemerles

good news then,:):):)keep us posted, and if you have the patter of tiny feet,, we would love pictures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I did'nt bottle feed all mine, Mine had their mums natural milk, I got up every hour morning noon and night and put pups on their mum and stayed wile they had their fill, Then i took them to bed with me, English bulls can be aukward mums and i myself would never take a chance and leave them with mum, Iv'e heard of to many being suffocated by mum, Alot of top breeders do it this way aswell, As it was them who taught me how to rear them and not take a chance :D. Mine turned out to be very nice strong healthy big boys and girls :)
    Only the best for mine thats for sure.

16. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

congrats lets hope she takes and you end up some lovely pups :)

17. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Yes congrats on the mating :) Hope all turns out as u hoped.
    Hopfully you will be posting on here with some lovely babys to show off to us all :D.

18. louiseddb

louiseddb PetForums Junior

sounds like your bitch has had enough if she has had 3 litters how old was she when you first bred her??????????Being four and a half now she may be in her prime but you bred her before her 2nd birthday i think the poor girl has had enough. Did you not keep a pup from a previous litter that can have a litter??? Personally i think you should spay her and have her as a pet, reward the girl with the love she deserves for having three litters. Dogs are not breeding machines and i would only allow mine 2 have 3 litters alltogether.

Louise

19. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I dont see how letting your dog have more than 3 litters is punnishment!
    The K.C allow a bitch of breeding age to have up to 5.
    One of my BT's has had 3 litters and she loved every minute of motherhood. So much so that she has been used as a surrogate before and has also helped my BM with half her litter!

20. louiseddb

louiseddb PetForums Junior

the kc allows bitches upto 8 to have puppies and bitches as young at 12 months if you contact them directly. This doesnt make it ethical!!!!!!! having up to 5 isnt either. They may love motherhood, but its an awful lot to ask of a dog, im sure she would love every minute of life the same without having a litter. having a litter is instinct to a dog they dont know better. However we as humans should, and be kind to know when enough is enough, like i said before not breeding machines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice