Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding my Bitch

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by raven, Jan 30, 2008.

1. raven

raven PetForums Junior

I've been looking into breeding my bitch!

Was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on age and looking for a stud dog.

Also i have looked for studs and have made a short list of the ones i like, but im not sure how far back in to ped i can go!

Many Thanks

Kirsty

2. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

What breed do you have??

3. raven

raven PetForums Junior

Staffordshire bull terrier, fantastic dog with cracking ped with many chamipons:)

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Theres some usefull information in the pet encyclopedia at the top of the page regarding breeding from your bitch. :):)

5. raven

raven PetForums Junior

Thank you thats great.

not only new to breeding but new to this site too so just finding my way around... lol:D

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

What lines does your bitch come through,you should also bear in mind she needs to be L2/HC tested.

8. raven

raven PetForums Junior

yes i understand she needs the appropriate tests.

Her father was Jolson's Blue Boy, her ped also includes
    Ch Vanoric Voo Doo, Ch Bowtmans Double Docker, Ch Sparstaff Dodgy Docker

9. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

This is just my humble opinion and I might get shot down in flames for saying it but hey ho in for a penny in for a pound:D:D

Firstly I would find out if the top breeders of Staffys are managing to home their litters easily. I'm sure you will want the very best homes you can find for your pups so if breeders are finding it hard to place pups in good homes perhaps the time isnt right to breed.

Are you going to sell your pups with a contract?? This needs to be well thought out - if your girlie has a large litter how many could you honestly take back?? Would you be KC registering the litter and endorsing the registrations - ie not for export - progeny cannot be registered. Its not fool proof cos unfortunately the knobs that are attracted to Staffs wont register their litters anyway but if you advertise your litter in a proper way you might just put some of the undesirables off.

Do you have a house that is suitable to rear a litter in - pups are much better reared inside the home so that they are used to the hustle and bustle of a household and get well handled. They also get used to the everyday household noises. Can you be available 24/7 if the mum dies whilst having the litter. Can you pay for a Caesarian if she needs one and feed the babies for her as she may be too unwell to do it.

Has your girl undergone the necessary health checks for your breed. I'm a Rottie owner so I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with any breed health probs for Staffs but I'm sure you know them.

The dogs you have said you like - do they complement your girl - by that I mean will the pups be a 'better' version of what you have. I think if you want to go ahead and have a litter sometimes its a good idea to get someone who knows the breed well and has bred some outstanding pups to have a look at your girl and tell you an honest opinon of her. They would be able to tell you what sort of dog to look for who will enhance the breed.

Above are just a few things to think of - but the biggest thing that is in my mind at the moment is the HUGE number of Staffs in rescues up and down the country - whilst having a litter sounds like a fantastic idea Staffys are one of the hardest breeds to find good homes for - knob heads want this fantastic breed for all the wrong reasons and sooooooooooo many end up abused and dumped. Please think long and hard about your decision.

I'm sure if you go ahead you will get alot of support from this very friendly forum - but thats all that we can do, support you, we cant find wonderful homes for your babies

10. raven

raven PetForums Junior

I have spoken to my family and friends and i do have a short list of people who would like one of my pups if i wish to have a litter from her!

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

She needs testing with clear results before even thinking of breeding,
    Ch Bowtmans Double Docker,I think you have got that wrong it's Ch Bowtmans Double Trouble.

Totally agree with you Jo,some excellent points made.

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Is your bitch Kennel Club registered, if not it is not really advisable to breed from her, having registration at least ensures that you have a recorded history of her parentage. Without any papers it is not possible to ensure that her ancestors were pure bred Staffords. Any KC registered dog should not be mated to an unregistered bitch.

Is your bitch healthy enough to be bred from. How old is she, is she clear from hereditary defects? Please read the (Health Issues Page) Have you had her checked by the vet to see if she is suitable to breed from, or will she need a Caesarian? The Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Council is totally in support of the guidelines as laid down by the Kennels club on age and frequency criteria for registering litter from a bitch. In addition the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Council do not recommend breeding from any bitch before she is 18 months old or on her 3rd season.

You are advised to have any your bitch eye tested to see she is free from PHPV/HC/PPSC. All bitches should have an up to date eye test. DNA testing to identify carriers of the HC gene is now available and is strongly recommended if you are going to breed from your bitch Please read the (Health Issues Page)

Do you understand the risks involved. If everything goes well then no problems. However, you could loose some if not all of the puppies, although thankfully this does not happen very often, or you could loose your bitch. If you do loose your bitch and the puppies survive, they will need to be hand reared, this involves feeding every three hours, DAY AND NIGHT.

Can you afford a litter. Lots of people think of breeding as a way of making money, this is not usually the case, and if things do go wrong you could incur a lot of expenses along the way. The stud fee for the dog, extra food for the bitch during pregnancy and lactation, weaning the puppies, their food this is all normal. What if your bitch needs a call out from the vet at 2am, or a Caesarian in the middle of the night, this can be very costly.

Are you aware of the work involved, lots of lovely puppies making lots of mess as they get older, all very time consuming to keep them clean and preparing 4 to 5 meals a day, watching over them when they are fed, is every puppy getting enough to eat. Weaning them from Mum at the right time.

Finding suitable homes can be a nightmare, all calls needs to be carefully vetted as they are people out there to whom you wouldn’t want to sell your puppies too. This can be very time consuming. Every one needs to be carefully vetted, is someone at home most if not all of the day, do the children seem frightened of the dogs, is this a commitment the whole family want to make. If you have any doubts about your prospective homes them don’t sell to these people, it is worth hanging one to a puppy until the right family come along.

Are you prepared to take any puppies back that you have bred and re home them if necessary.

13. raven

raven PetForums Junior

yes my wrong it is Ch Bowtmans Double Trouble......

My vet said she has a cracking shape and coat, she is 17 months at present. yes she is kc registered

14. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

What dogs are you looking at?

Alot of stud dog owners will want to see your bitches health test certificates before they allow there dogs to be used at stud.

What areas does your bitch lack in,as you will need a dog to compliment her and excell in those areas she lacks.

15. raven

raven PetForums Junior

billyboy blue
    silver zella

16. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Never heard of them,Why those two?

Valglo Albertini is a son of Vanoric Voodoo and is my bitches father,he also produced the dog Ch Valglo Casanova At Crossguns,BOB 3 years running at crufts and the Breed CC Record Holder.

There are alot of nice dogs that he has sired out there.

17. davist

davist PetForums Newbie

Good job doing your homework ahead of time!! I applause you!:)

18. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but please don't rely on family and friends as home's for perspective offspring of your bitch, more times than most these 'kind' of offers normally dry up as soon as said puppies are on the ground :)

19. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

hope all goes well for you.
    liz

20. Dennyboy

Dennyboy PetForums Member

Hi if you look on the East Anglian Staffordshire Bull terrier website that has lots of information about the health tests.

There is a East Anglian Show on next saturday (9th Feb) at Bury if you have time you could go along and have a chat.

Mel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice