Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding gerbils

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by pp50616, May 10, 2017.

1. pp50616

pp50616 PetForums Newbie

I don't have anything to breed gerbils yet and it will be a long time before I do, because my mom told me I could when I was in high school, so that is about two and a half years because she wants me to wait until 10th grade. But I want to be ready and be researching this whole time so by the time it's been two years I will be 100000000000% ready! I have read serval pages about gerbil breeding but here are somethings I am not clear about. But let me first start off by saying I understand I will barley make any money, and that I will have to have lots of cages for the whole process, I will need to be ready to care for sick babies or parents, it will be a lot of hard work, and will take a lot of time out of my day (which is fine because I am home schooled). Okay, so here are my questions:
    1. Once I have raised my first litter and the mom is about to have another litter, how do I ween the babies? Do I put all the boy gerbils in a cage (not including the dad) and all the girl gerbils in a different cage (not including the mom) or will that stress the mom out because of the huge change?
    2. When I ween the babies do I put them in a different cage for a while and then back in the cage so they get used to not seeing their mom?
    3. When I sell the gerbils, will it stress them out to suddenly only have each other and be missing their other brothers/sisters?
    4. If I don't want my parents to breed again for a while can I put the mom and the girls in a cage and the dad and the boys in a cage and then do the split cage method for the parents when I am ready to breed again? I would put all the babies with the mom and the girls, and once they grow up put the boys with the dad.
    5. Once I have a litter I am assuming that the parents with breed again that same day. Once the first litter grows up and the mom is about to have her second litter can I move all the boys to a tank and put all the girls in a different tank and leave an older girl or two with the mom to help her take care of her pups (there would be three separate cages for the girls, the boys and the mom and the babies and the older sisters)
    6. If there is a still born, do I take it out or just let the mom eat it because that is what she would do in the wild?
    7. What size cage should I put the parents and the babies in? And what size tank should I let the parents live and breed in before the babies are born? 10 or 20 gallons?
    Thank you for your help!

#1 pp50616, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice