Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding from a rescue/welfare/rehomed dog

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sid&kira, Apr 13, 2011.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

No i dont plan on breeding mine, just interested in people opinions

I was reading an old thread on here and breeding from a rehomed dog was mentioned, and its been mentioned on other sites aswell.

Would you ever breed from a rehomed dog/bitch? Does it make a difference depending on their lives before being rehomed (for example Kira and Keyu were abused, grey came from a home who adored him). Does it make a difference if you rehomed privately or thru an organisation?

Before I get jumped on, Kira and Grey are done, Keyu will be done when older, i've never bred and dont plan to, my guys are pets & workers :001_wub:

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I think it would only usually be possible in a private adoption situation. As far as I know all breed rescues, welfare centres, other rescue organisations either neuter themselves before you get them or make you sign a document stating that it will be done within a certain time frame and you agree not to breed from them. Thre may be exceptions to this but I haven't found any.

3. gladass

gladass Banned

Never vwould as I do not think its Ethical at all

4. shells

shells PetForums VIP

buster is from the dog shelter and been rehomed since . he is a pure bred choc lab dog shelter destroyed his papers i belive, i had him done a month after having him. i thoughed if you had them from a dog shelter you had to have them done:confused:

5. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

I think it would depend, I dont think you should ever breed on from a dog that has come through a rescue or a neglect case. But if you are gifted an older dog (getting it second hand from someone within a breed!) and its of good quality, and there was plans to breed it I dont see why not - this would be a rehome, but would it be in the true sense?

Getting an older dog off a free ad site would also be a no for me, you could not be sure of all its history, paper work and any past problems..ect!

6. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

yea i guess this is more aimed at private rehomes, or rescues who have been sent with a neuter/spay contract

just cus you have it in a contract doesnt mean people listen :rolleyes:

7. shells

shells PetForums VIP

oh n going of topic:D i love your sig pic its lovely

8. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

we were greys 3rd home (they had him from 7 months - 2 years), and was well loved, if he was registered and all that jazz you wouldnt have a problem with him being bred from? providing there were good reasons for it (show/work)

9. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

10. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I think that (IMO) is huge difference from dogs coming through rescue. We all know that sometimes older dogs (NOT OLD DOGS) change hands within show / working / breeding circles for all sorts of reasons; it could be breeder health (temporary or permanent), the need to downsize for some reason, inability to show as much as it is felt a dog deserves because of health or location, sometimes, a dog may be of good show quality but perhaps at that stage, not quite SH CH material, but would make an excellent foundation bitch / dog for a newer kennel.

I have no doubt some people will think some of the above not right either - but often it's doing what is right for the dog and putting theirs and the breeds interests above the breeders own interests.

As for breeding from dogs coming through rescue whatever the reason, NO NO NO NO NO - completely unacceptable on every single level.

11. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Like I said if a dog had something to offer a breed, and always had something to offer a breed/line and it happened to swap home to another kennel that showed/worked - no I wouldnt have a problem. Of course there will be a line to draw, I would question why he had been in three different homes if he had something to offer - I am generally talking about an adult good quality dog swapping home/being gifted to another breeder.

12. Bang out of order! and against the T&C's of ALL or certainly most of the rescues I would suspect"
    But that said - if you are going on about an old thread think thats best left to rest myself!
    DT

13. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Agreed, and is kinda what I was getting at (badly!) :D People may disagree, but its a good way for breeders to get new lines, on dogs that are already mature so can see their quality - breeding/showing on from it would be nothing new, as the same plans would probs have been on the cards with the previous owners - but like you say alot different to breeding from a rescue.

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

oh he's not breeding quality AT ALL, not registered, and from breeders known to breed to many litters (hence why he isnt registered :mad:) and parents not tested.

He's been neutered, was a hypothetical situation ;)

15. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

lol was actually an old thread off another forum, i posted the same thread on there, just c&p'd onto here :D

this thread isnt linked to or about any PF members :)

16. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree with DD,

i myself got the chance of having a dog i had wanted to use on my bitch when he was 3yrs old from someone within the breed, he was in joint ownership for a couple of years...but hes all mine now lol

but in most cases its unethical imo.

17. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I'm waiting for my case/myself to be dragged into this thread.

No, I do not belive in breeding from a dog you have gained under a rescue/rehomed situation unless you happen to know the breeder/dog's lines and such.

Thus I am now happy Maya is spayed, although I do not have any male dogs in this house at present and as lovely mother as she made, I know nothing about who she is other than the dog living with me.

18. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

be assured that this wasnt about you, came from reading threads on 2 sibe forums

your case is rare becuase Maya came through a rescue centre didnt she? so she should really have been spayed before you got her

19. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

The thing is that sort of things isnt rare, alot of rescue release dogs on contracts - not having them spayed or castration before - so I am led to believe anyways! Anyone can have a litter before provinding proof of neatuer. I am not saying thats what SH done, but it happens.

20. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Oh no, It didn't think it was but any previous rescue thread i've always been brought up.

They were more like a boarding kennels that took in strays but Yes, she should have been as I didn't go to a rescue for a reason.

It would not surprise me and some rescues in America have had this happen that they will nueter/spay 4 month old pups :eek: I have also heard of people falsifying paperwork :( you are quite right there is no proof.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice