Breeding for money

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sleeping_Lion, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No you don't. You assume. Wrongly.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Can we assume then that you have not had relevant health tests carried out on your pregnant bitch?

Has she been hip and elbow scored? Has the stud dog?

LinznMilly, ouesi and simplysardonic like this.
  3. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

100% agree on health / DNA testing. Vet check isn't going to tell you if your dog is carrying a recessive disease.

Can't say I agree that good breeders never / shouldn't breed two of their own dogs together. Depends on the dogs, responsible breeders don't have intact male dogs to only, always breed them to other people's dogs "stud them out". I trust good breeders to make the best, most knowledgeable breeding decision they can whether they use a male they own / co own or one from the other side of the world.

4. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Correct . I think a lot of people are way too cautious these days

5. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

And I tell you for why not many people at all ask these questions when buying a dog as a lot of people don't even look into it properly. Now I won't just sell pups to anyone who's willing to grow money at me I want to see a nice family that will bond with the pup before going anywhere.

6. SpicyBulldog

I'm not sure what you mean by "way too cautious these days"? I haven't observed that- I don't think, but I'm unsure what you are meaning by it.

People need to be educated to ask the right questions. Even if they don't know to ask, that doesn't at all negate the breeders responsibility to breed properly.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Be sure to remember to tell your new puppy owners that if they end up with a crippled puppy in severe pain with HD that they're just 'over-reacting' and there was no need to test the parents as no one would ask anyway :rolleyes:

So basically you've seen cash signs from having two entire dogs, saved yourself ANY expense in making sure you're breeding from tested parents, and are laughing all the way to the bank when your naïve puppy owners come knocking.

Health testing is recommended for a reason. Just yesterday I saw a heartbreaking post about a litter of Newfoundland puppies 4 of which have been diagnosed with a very severe heart defect that could have been prevented had the parents been heart screened before they was bred. The puppies have an uncertain fate ahead of them now. There is no cure, and they could live weeks, months, or even years, but they're ticking time bombs and the heartbreak that will bring to their new owners is immense, not to mention the costs of life long vet visits & treatment. You owe it to the lives you're creating to make sure you're doing your best to prevent them from suffering genetic, inheritable diseases so they go on to give those loving homes you speak about a lifetime of happiness, & stack the deck in their favour for good health.

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Oh, I do agree. How silly and over the top to try and ensure that pups are born healthy and free from inherited defects.

And, your second statement is so telling it's ridiculous. You haven't bothered with the trouble or expense of having your dogs tested because most people are unaware of the fact that they should be?

Cashing in on the naivety of purchasers for your pups. Shameful.

You do know that you're a backyard breeder, don't you? Please be in no doubt about that. Unscrupulous to say the very least.

So what if you do sell pups that will become crippled early in life? So long as the money is in your pocket, why should you care, hey?

LinznMilly, simplysardonic and ouesi like this.
  9. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

and this is what I mean you automatically assume the worst for the pups. My sister has had lunas dad and my aunt has had her mother for years even generations also the stud we PAID FOR was a full registered kc working dog with awards and a good hip score in the family history all confirmed so yep that's why she hasn't had it.

10. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

People have to start somewhere and with breeders in the family nothing wrong with abit more advice

11. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

You really are wierd pull your toungue out of your Anus

12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

*weird*
    *tongue*

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Fanciful nonsense.

A conscientious Breeder does everything possible to ensure the worst doesn't happen to the pups and their new owners.

You haven't troubled yourself with any of that.

You're an unscrupulous, money grabbing, Backyard Breeder. Shame on you.

I'm all kinds of weird love, but I never bred crippled pups because it was more economical that way.

Sarah H, LinznMilly, lorilu and 3 others like this.
  14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

@Kieranp0710 serious answer.
    Labs are not a breed that is exactly thin on the ground. There really isn't any reason to not do full health tests on every dog being bred. Especially x-rays as the breed is notorious for both hip and elbow dysplasia.
    Because dysplasia is a polygenetic trait, it's in the breed's best interest for as many dogs to be tested as possible and those test scores published in a public, searchable database. That data can then guide not only breeding decisions, but can also offer useful information for those looking to find markers and causes for the disease. The more we know, the better able we are to prevent the issue to begin with.
    Plenty of passionate owners in the breed have dogs they have no intention of breeding tested for the sake of this collection of data. It also helps to have a baseline should anything happen to the dog later in life.

It's simply the responsible thing to do....

Sarah H, LinznMilly, Rafa and 2 others like this.
  15. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I'm sure the breeder of the Newfoundland litter I mentioned didn't think of the worse case scenario either. Of course it's only the poor pups who suffer as a consequence of the breeder's ignorance.

In a breed such as Labs there really is no excuse not to health test. You should mention the fact you haven't health tested to prospective buyers too & not try to dupe them into believing anything else.

LinznMilly, Rafa and simplysardonic like this.
  16. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

Please refrain from personal attacks just because you are getting answers (or in this case, facts) you don't like.

SusieRainbow and Rafa like this.
  17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

OP. There is another fact you need to be aware of.

Any conscientious Breeder, which you say you are, will make it clear to any purchaser of one of their pups that, should they be unable to keep that pup at any stage in it's life, the pup must be returned.

How will you feel, way in the future, if someone asks you to take back a 5 year old dog with hip dysplasia, needing thousands of pounds worth of surgery?

What will you do?

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. SpicyBulldog

Not sure what your point is?

19. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

Pet insurance you must of heard of it

20. Kieranp0710

Kieranp0710 Banned

I didnt ask for answers if u read it I just state my opinion and here we are with all you freaks assuming the worst as usual I know my girl and didn't just go for any stud so you all can just eat crap because it's all yous talk