Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeding concerns!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Puglovemeakin, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Puglovemeakin

Puglovemeakin PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have never posted on any type of forum before so please bare with me:)
    2 months ago a friend of a friend gave me his pug, who is currently 6yrs old. We love our new pug and is well and truly part of our family now.
    The current owner gave her to me for free on condiction he could have one more litter out of her. At the time I did agree, but I have started to research a lot about breeding, and have massive concerns that this dog is 6yrs old, had her last litter by c/section and I think has had around 4 litters already!
    I have booked her in for a vet check to discuss this later in the week, and have contacted her previous owner to raise my concerns. His reply was "the vet will tell you she's too old, but regardless what the vet says I will be taking her for another litter" I'm so worried for this dog! And worried about where I stand legally. Is the dog mine or his? :(

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome.

I agree with you that she has had enough litters and ought now to be left in peace to enjoy her life with you.

Was or is there any form of a Contract between you and her former owner? Is she microchipped and, if so, have you transferred the registration into your name.

I would say the former owner can't come and physically take the bitch from you or bring a stud dog to your home. She is in your possession, so I would fight her corner every inch of the way.

3. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I’d get her spayed and then claim ignorance.

I mean, you agreed to let her breed, you didn’t agree to not get her spayed right? How are you to know that getting her spayed would interfere with breeding plans? ;)

4. Puglovemeakin

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply and welcome:)

No there was no written contacts or exchange of money. I do have text messages on my phone saying "glad she's settled in her new home" but not really sure if that would count for anything :/

I think it upsets me most, cause he knows the vet will tell me she's too old, he acknowledges that fact, yet doesn't seem to care. I spoken to our mutual friend
    Who has also told me, she's also had another owner who has had a litter from her.

Thank you again for your reply, it's nice hearing it's not just me who thinks she's had enough babies. I'll be sure to fight for her! :)

5. Puglovemeakin

Hi!

Well I did think of doing that! I like your thinking :))

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I think that's an excellent idea to get her spayed.

Who is this greedy person who doesn't want her any more yet still wants to make money out of her?

She's yours now and I believe if there is no contract between you, her former owner doesn't have a leg to stand on.

You can always say you had her spayed on the advice of your vet.

7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yep, I mean, she could have a terrible case of pyometra right now that needs tending to. I hear those things come on fast....

9. Sparkle22

Sparkle22 PetForums Senior

Keep the texts safe, it might be a long shot but what about talking to some reputable pug breeders, the kennel club and the vets and see if you can get a letter or email detailing why in their opinion it would be detrimental to her health if she was bred from again?

I can't see that he would have a leg to stand on as he rehomed her to you but then again it was on the condition that she was a breeding animal..
    Maybe if the guy really fought to get her bred from again numerous testimonials from established breeders and people in the know would help you out in convincing the relevant authorities that it would be an animal welfare breach.

10. Puglovemeakin

Thank you for the website I will definately have a good read through it tonight. And I'm planning on going to the citizens advise on Monday.

I completely agree! I find it awful just thinking of the £££s this dog could make him rather than her health and well being! I will be sure to keep you updated! :))

11. Puglovemeakin

Thank you for your advise! I'll be sure to contact them, along with a trip to the citizens advise on Monday! But I'm feeling a lot more hopeful about the situation so thank you everybody!

12. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

thats exactly what i was going to say!!!
    do you even have a text or anything stating the breeding condition? as in before you collected her? if not, he can't prove it...

90% of the time rulings will be made in regards to which owner has provided (or is best) for her- in my area anyway.
    example- my dexter was given to me by a woman who was given him by a lady who needed him re-homed and had heard that she did this. i then got a call as she knew i wanted a chihuahua so i went and collected him. i was back at her house a few months later (using one of her studs) when she told me that the son of his last owner wanted him back to sell on- but she refused to give him our details, and refused to give us his (in case my dad went and punched him!). i brought this up with the dog warden almost instantly as we could never get in touch with the lady to change his chip details (she fled the country), but we had the vet records from the first trip he made where he needed 3 weeks antibiotics plus 4 injections (2 in his gums) for a gum infection. he also was covered in scabs and smelled of TCP- drenching him in it seemed to be the sons way of treating the wounds his kerry-blue inflicted :mad: .
    but because we had payed for vet bills and a licence then he is well and truly ours- no matter what the b^££^rd of a son says now!

so vet bill receipts are your friend even more than a chip, but a chip does of course help!
    but i would watch out closely for a pyo infection! ;)
    and definitely ask your vet his opinions (he may even agree that there is a pyo-related reason for a spay *if* she happens to have a symptom!)

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that that poor little bitch has Pyometra.

You can almost HEAR it coming on.

Spaying is surely her only hope? ;)

14. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I'd get her spayed and there there is no more arguments, he gave her to you therefore she is your property and you are legally responsible for her wellbeing, having another litter is not in her well being at all, humans aren't advised to have more than 3 c-sections, let alone a dog!!!
    Once spayed he'll soon loose interest as there is nothing he can do once it's been done and he can't make any more money out of the poor creature!! I'd also be concerned about having a litter of pups from her as who is going to pay for the c-section, hand rearing of pups if she dies, feeding them for 8 weeks, plus all vet expenses, advertising etc - it will potentially cost you 2 or 3 grand easily, and as he's dumped his dog on you but still wants money out of it I doubt he's the sort that will pay you back!!!:eek:
    I'm very surprised she wasn't spayed as a routine when she had her first c-section, most vets remove the whole uterus, pups and all and then zip up! Book her in asap to get her done and then ignore his texts, or if he lives near just say she had to be rushed to the vets with an emergency pyo and nearly died etc etc, a bit of drama never hurts!!;)

15. Kchip

Kchip PetForums Senior

I am really glad reading this that she has ended up with someone like you. Good luck with the situation...think you know what needs to be done. Lucky girl to have a nice loving home now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice