Breeding advice, how to find a registered active kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Melissa perry, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Melissa perry

Melissa perry PetForums Newbie

Hi all, i am also interested in starting hobby breedkng, i am looking at the british shorthair silver tabby, but it is really hard to find the right kitten, firstly its hard to find someone who has any and the people i have found wont register them as active. I have literally contacted so many places. Can anyone recommend were i can get a kitten registered active?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Almost no reputable breeder will sell an active-registered cat to someone they don't know and who isn't already breeding and who isn't showing. A show neuter is the best place to start. Also some experience fostering kittens for a rescue won't go amiss.

Tigermoon, spotty cats and chillminx like this.
  3. Melissa perry

Ahh ok, thanks i will look into that. I did look into the fostering a while ago. I have always wanted to have a cat which had kittens though, i love them so much. When i looked into fostering they were quite fussy about the space that was needed etc so i didnt look further into it

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Kittens are cute but not a good reason to want to breed, and if the rescue had reservations about fostering then remember kittens you breed would need just as much of everything as fosters do. More in fact - you would be paying all the vet bills.

Tigermoon and spotty cats like this.
  5. Melissa perry

I just mean there seemed to be a lot of restrictions like having a room specially for them, i have plenty of room for kittens, otherwise i wouldnt do it. And obviously im not just doing it because there cute! I was just making a point they would be in a loving home. I know i will have vet bills etc i have researched it all. I just wanted advice on how to buy active, as it seems quite difficult.but i will just keep looking i suppose.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Advice on how to buy a kitten on the Active Register is as follows:

Getting started in the correct way with pedigree breeding largely depends on getting to know reputable breeders, and hopefully finding a BSH breeder you have a good rapport with. Then building a relationship with the breeder so that at some point they might agree to sell you one of their BSH kittens on the Active Register.

Best way to go about this, as Oriental Slave has said, is to buy a BSH kitten as a pet and show them as a neuter. Going regularly to shows all over the country, and mixing with other breeders is how you will get to know them, and make relationships.

You will need an experienced breeder as your Mentor once you start breeding (so you have someone to turn to for advice and support) and the best person to be your mentor will be the breeder who sells you a kitten on the Active Register.

Fostering kittens for a Rescue is an excellent way of gaining valuable experience under the guidance of experienced foster-carers. As you say foster kittens and mum will definitely need a room on their own if you have your own cats (or dogs). Foster cats and kittens should never mix with your own cats. If you do not have your own cats, fosters could possibly share a quiet room such as your bedroom with you.

Tigermoon likes this.
  7. Melissa perry

Ok thanks for your help

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Best wishes on your journey towards becoming a breeder. Doing it the right way may take a few years but if you really want it I hope you achieve it. :)

9. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Junior

Just to drop my five pence in - because of the difficult way to actually get kitten on active from good breeder and start your breeding journey with a good cat lots of people get a cat from byb and carry on the same way as their "breeder".
    Of course I'm not telling that's the way to go but I can see this happening quite often.