Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

breeding 2 staffotdshire bull terriers no tie

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by gflynn90, Mar 30, 2011.

1. gflynn90

gflynn90 PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone, I currently have 2 staffs both champ bloodlines which complaint eachother brilliantly. Problem is owner of the bitch dropped her up when she was only 1-2 day into heat I have had the 2 of them together since the first day my male the stud tried mounting her over and over again. She would growl and attack him now she is ready flagging herself. Male only sniff and licks her and then Lys down. Any information would be very helpful and what I should do.

He has mounted her the last 3 days but has been unable too tie and his postioning isnt perfect. but now its just sniffing/licking her we have her 8 days now.

Any help at all,

Thanks guys

2. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

How old are they and are they "experienced"? That may assist people in helping you with your questions.

Do not know your full story, but do not understand why people breed Staffies when there is so many in rescues. Though do understand that people do wish to continue "good lines" etc. This is not an attack on you, like I say I do not know your reasonings behind breeding etc :)

Hope someone comes with advice soon.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  3. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

I understand taking a bitch to a stud dog! but not leaving her there for 8 days!!! :confused:

4. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

A bitch's fertile period can be as early as 3 days and as late as 30 days -some bitches both bleed and 'flag' right through their season so this is no real indicator that she has ovulated, her owner needs to take her to be progesterone tested to see what stage she is at in her season ( blood test ) - she would need to be mated 2 days after she has ovulated and then again 2 days after - it is not usual for bitches to be left with the stud dog and repeated matings when she is not ready can be both harmful and distressing to the bitch so ask her owner to collect her and bring her back again when she is ready.

I'm not going to nag but I'm assuming that both bitch and dog have had all their health tests done ? ....( not just a 'vet check ' ) . It's a very valid point that there are many many Staffys in rescue at the moment - in truth only dogs in this breed that have achieved their Champion title should be bred from and then only for very valid reasons - yours is a breed in deep trouble because of over breeding and subsequent irresponsible ownership.

#4 Bijou, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Are you intending to show the whole litter. If not what will happen to the others. There are so many in rescues.

6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

have you had the required health tests for the breed? and do you have homes lined up for any puppies you wont be keeping? because the rescue situation for staffies is dire, infact imo non but only very best staffords should be used for breeding and then only by responsible ethical people who are passionate about the breed and will ensure their dogs progeny will have a secure future.

7. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

chances very slim for whole litter being of show quality whatever breed. i do agree there are way too many staffy types in rescue,

8. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Is he experienced??? A lot of bitches growl and can get nasty at mating times even if they stand like a rock for them sometimes they sill aren't happy!! This is why you need an experienced stud handler to assist the mating (some bitches need restraining but tbh in this day and age and situation quite frankly I'd send her home and tell the owner to spay her or show her and try to get her title)

What day is she on now? I assume she wasn't tested as she came to you so early but it could be that it's too early! If you boy is not experienced he won't know to be persistent and do his job!

It's a very sad world for staffies atm

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Here we go again. Someone comes on for some genuine advice and gets lectured and scared off.

I would suggest that you seperate them and only introduce them to each other for the matings - with 2 experienced handlers, one for the bitch and one for the dog. If he has been snapped at he is going to feel it isnt such a good idea. This is why usually the bitch will be held throughout the mating and the dog will be assisted if he is having a problem.

#9 Blitz, Mar 30, 2011
  10. Shayden

Shayden Banned

I was thinking the exact same thing!

11. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

No i think thats a bit harsh. They have had some really good advice from posters.

12. holly2009

holly2009 Guest

I think the comments are more than well justified! :rolleyes:

13. gflynn90

Thanks for all your advice guys the reason i have the bitch so long as the owner is a 3 and a half hour distence from we all the pups will have good homes as both me and the owner of the bitch are taken a pup plus family members my male is 8 and the bitch is 3 turning 4 the male has breed before . Both have been tested hip std..... etc at vets and are not only show dogs but have a lovely nature.

Thanks again for all your help just th hoping for a litter.

#13 gflynn90, Mar 30, 2011
  14. Cay

Cay PetForums Member

If you are inexperienced at supervising a mating then return the girl to her owners to give them a chance to have a break. It is likely that she isn't ready and by the time she is they might both be fed up and not bother mating.

15. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Not lectured, but some of us want to know the help that's being given is going towards responsible breeding and want no part in irresonsible breeding.

#15 rocco33, Mar 30, 2011
  16. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Thank you for coming back and posting more details. Reading through this I was worried I may of scared you off with my rescue comments. If anyone does give you abuse then inform a mod.

But I do still stand by my comment that there is far too many in rescues to be breeding without good intent.

#16 jamie1977, Mar 30, 2011
  17. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

I think you should ring the females owner to collect her dog. I can not believe the females owner has sent her dog to be mated under the responsibility of someone that doesnt know what their doing. Thats so dangerous for both dogs - I do hope (I REALLY do) That when you say they have been together ever since it has ALWAYS been supervised.

I am actually shocked at this thread - This is how not to stud your dogs. This is how it all goes wrong...

People gave sound advice here, not insulting. But to be honest if there was it was justified, the two poor dogs have been put in a dangerous situation with someone that hasnt a clue - support it if you shall and I know most will...:rolleyes:

18. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

You know this 'advice' thing is difficult - sometimes the best advice is not always what people want to hear - so what should we do ? .....just 'play nicely' and not mention our misgivings ?

It's easy to shoot the messenger when they're saying stuff you'ld rather not hear but surely we have a moral obligation to try to stop bad practice when we hear of it ?

Presumably when people post on here for advice they want that advice to come from the most experienced folk on the forum - it's no coincidence that the most experienced breeders on here all give the same advice time after time and bang on about the same stuff - that's because we know how important it is to do it right.

Do you not want us to do this ? - shall we just support 'car crash' breeding standards and go into fluffy mode at the mention of a litter of pups ?

Sadly even though people might not want to hear it sometimes the best advice really is DON'T DO IT !

#18 Bijou, Mar 30, 2011
    Lulus mum likes this.
  19. gflynn90

I have bought 2 pens and 1 extra kennel paid for vet fees for my male.female was also done this is my first time trying to breed I only see 1 or 2 answers were people were trying to help al pups have already have good homes waiting if the litter is produced what is with all.the hostilities from each poster. We dont all start out professional breeders I am sure a lot of you were the same with your first litter. I have read all over the internet watched countless internet videos on this I am just asking a question. If you can't answer or help don't waste my time and yours by posting.

Thank you

20. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Watch the link in my signature below..................

To be fair all posts here are of sound nature. People have offered you good advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice