Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeders.......

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by ad_1980, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

do you crate train your pups before they leave for their prospective homes?

i ask because i'm sure our breeder trained Mika because he was fine to go in his crate from the first night we put him in it. Just a question.

Plus i am bored and i havent' been in here in a while :)

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I intend to crate train my pups mainly because i'll be using a crate for the pup I'm keeping and I know that at least 3 of the prospective owners will be too.
    I hope it will make their transitions a little easier too. Fingers crossed anyway.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My litter were kept in a crate and pen. The crate was left open apart from when I was cleaning the pen.
    The crate was big enough for all 9 pups to sleep comfortably, and by 8 weeks, the pen was just big enough for them to toilet on the paper if need be, but I was at home all day anyway so just let them out all the time.

All but one went away to have no problems continuing the crating.

x

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I had my puppies in an ordainary box, mother was able to get in and out to feed puppies and as they got older I changed the box for a larger one each time, as they were getting very clever at jumping up, once they were 5 weeks old I got a crate and put them into it, I left the door open for them to come in and out when they wanted to eat and poo etc and they now just come in and out when they want to, when I clean the room and vacumn they just go back inside themselves and watch me from inside. I close the door at night time so they know it is bed time. They have learned so quick on how to poo and pee on a pee pad now, so I think it is all to do with being inside their crate. I was never sure of crates before, but I have changed my mind on them now, it is like a little den for them to return to when ever they want, and they feel safe. xxxxxxxxx

5. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

The breeder who we bought our Yorkie from had them in a crate with the door open and a play area around them. When we bought her home she was already happy to be in her crate so it made life so easy for us for her. She loves it and goes in and out whenever she wants to.

6. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I will have ours in a pen but we have a huge one so they have half the living room and we let them out when we can supervise so they have the run of downstairs

7. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I crate train all my puppies

8. Billy was crate trained from 4 weeks old with his breeder.

Its her standard practice, that once the pups are being weaned she starts crate training, and eventually sleep seperatly in crates, but play and snooze together during the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice