Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeders with a number of cats

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by TattooedSphynxOwner, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TattooedSphynxOwner

TattooedSphynxOwner PetForums Newbie

Evening all,
    Just a quick one for the breeders who have a number of cats, do you get issues with urinating around heat time?

I’ve been having issues for some time with my one male, I don’t believe he was ever properly litter trained because he will never pee in the box unless he is in a confined space, he chooses to pee on the floor instead.
    We’ve now noticed that our other male is peeing. I’ve read about territory marking etc but do you breeders have any tried and tested methods to combat this?
    I’ve had breeders tell me to lock the males away or keep them outside etc but I don’t want to do this.

The eldest male (first one peeing) now wears a nappy around the house and is popped in to a small room at regular intervals to use the tray - this is working for him!! But feel like I’m going to have to nappy the other one too!

Also, do any of your females pee to mark their scent?
    Thanks

#1 TattooedSphynxOwner, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. Lunarags

Lunarags Dedicated cat slave

Yes i have had problems with females scent marking, one became really bad and we had to replace most of our floors. In the end they had to be shut in the kitchen with wipeable floors, popped in the tray every hour and let out for short periods if they had just weed until they learnt. I also would give them treats straight after using the tray properly. All i can suggest im afraid xxx

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's what boys - and many girls that are in call - do. Peeing on the floor might also be a protest at the types / size of tray and/or litter. One of my girls used to pee when she was in call, just little bits here & there which were hard to find. Keeping the boys well separated from the girls outside in my view is kindest all round. Both are aware of each other, and can get very frustrated. If you won't have any work for one or both of the boys for a year or more you might consider a 4.7mg Superlorin chip - a chemical castration. Basil had one, it's worn off now but he got over a year of being able to live inside.

Tigermoon likes this.
  4. TattooedSphynxOwner

Can I ask, was this all of the time or just whilst in heat?
    Thanks for your reply, nice to know it’s relatively normal!

5. TattooedSphynxOwner

Yes, we are finding just odd bits here and there that don’t smell like the boys strong urine.
    Can I ask what your outside set up is like? Maybe it’s something I should look in to, we have the room it’s just the thought of them being cold really. They literally live on the radiators!
    Thanks for your reply

6. OrientalSlave

The boy al the time, the girl when she was in call, but I suspect some girls do it all the time.

TattooedSphynxOwner likes this.
  7. OrientalSlave

There are several makers of stud houses as a special form of cattery. As well as the house itself there was the cost of slabs to put it on, getting it wired in, a thermostatic oil filled radiator and they have a heat pad. I've also put wiring & supports so they can't get out of the garden. The run is big enough for me to sit in in a chair, and faces SSE and it gets plenty of sun. I sat out there for almost an hour today.

8. Lunarags

For me it depended on the cat. Most did it just in heat but i had one who did it all the time. She wouldnt go in the tray when she was pregnant for some reason and then the smell was all over the carpets then so she just kept going there instead of the tray. It took a long time to train her out of it and a lot of cleaning up wee off the hard floor when she would go next to the tray. Switching to the grey litter helped

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Just part of breeding. None of our current or previous boys sprayed.

The girls who spray only do so in call, until taken off call (acupressure) they go into the laundry, easy to clean if needed.

10. Lunarags

Some of mine weed on the bed. Nightmare, but re carpetting the whole house was so expensive. We found that that helped as the smell encourages them to go there again

11. spotty cats

Are you breeding from the rehomed cats and the kittens gotten in poor conditions mentioned in another post?

12. TattooedSphynxOwner

No. Certainly not. The kitten who was unwell is only young anyway and will be spayed when her weight is back up. The kittens who weren’t kept well have also been spayed :)

13. TattooedSphynxOwner

No none of my boys have sprayed thankfully, or at least not yet!

14. spotty cats

Glad they've been spayed, it reads as 2 stud males, 4 breeding females, plus 8 (nearly 9) pets then.

Hopefully all HCM scanned along with the new DNA test available, so many issues in the breed with many working hard to ensure they are healthy.

15. TattooedSphynxOwner

Thank you for the concern, but I wouldn’t be so irresponsible. We love our pets, they weren’t brought purely for breeding it was just something we were considering. But now battling with peeing everywhere and how common this is, I don’t believe this is something we will be continuing with.
    The majority of our girls are spayed and 3 who are over 1 have been HCM tested, for our own piece of mind

Lunarags likes this.
  16. spotty cats

Yes there's a lot more to breeding than people first realise :)

You're lucky to have the DNA results back on the 3, the lab is so behind being a new test, closed for holidays etc. most breeders are still waiting.

17. OrientalSlave

It's a lot more common in multicat households, as be there's a reason many breeders don't have carpets

Lunarags likes this.
  18. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

When I bought my first breeding girl I was told "girls spray worse than the boys". I think it's fair to say that is true. Over the years I can safely say the majority of my breeding girls have sprayed when in call. Up doors, up walls, on furniture, on beds, on the carpets. Literally everywhere.
    Studs usually do spray, and it stinks. They don't have a 'season' as such and will spray every day, all year round, though they can be worse in spring/summer. Some are more vigorous than others and these boys really can't be kept in the home, they need their own quarters.

Lunarags and OrientalSlave like this.
  19. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think you are very wise to neuter your cats. I spent years breeding spraying etc out of my lines because I consider cats should be good pets first and foremost and if they come from spraying lines, there is a chance they may still spray when neutered. Some of my third generation cats would lift their tail at the first sign of any stress whatever! I was shocked because my foundation queen and her first offspring were fine. Because of that I was able to identify the line that introduced the behaviour but there are so many things to consider when planning a mating especially when developing a new colour and it really restricted my choice of studs until I started using my own boys that I knew were 'safe.'

20. OrientalSlave

I didn't know the Sphynx HCM DNA test was commercially available yet? Neither UC Davies or Langford offer it. However I had a couple of extra tests done on a sample I sent last year and they were back very quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice