Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeders liability

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Channy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

Hi,

I purchased a blue BSH from a breeder in November. The kitten is registered with GCCF. Since then the cat seems to have some sort of skin condition which has not been diagnosed as yet but I am too and fro from the vets trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Does the breeder have any liability to me/kitten for an unwell kitten? If so, what can I do about it?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Did the kitten come to you with the skin condition already? Is the breeder aware of the problem?

Calvine likes this.
  3. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

No the kitten didn't come with the skin condition and I haven been in regular contact with the breeder. Is there anything that can be done? I would presume as it wasn't an existing problem (as far as I know) there's not much that can be done :/

4. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

Sorry, I have been in regular contact with the breeder.

5. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I assume then that the breeder is now aware of the skin condition. Have they said anything or have any idea what it might be? Have there been any problems with other kittens in the litter or the breeders own cats? Since there was no sign of the condition when you brought your kitten home I don't think that you have any come back against the breeder unless you believe you are being lied to. Were you given free insurance and have you continued with it or taken out insurance yourself?
    What have your vets suggested that it could be?

Calvine and chillminx like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

If the skin issue appeared some time after you took the kitten home, the breeder is not at fault and has no obligation to replace or refund.

What tests and investigations have been done, and what support has the breeder given?

7. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

Yes, I was given free insurance for 5 weeks and haven't continued with the pet insurance company.

The vet has suggested that it could be allergy related but cannot confirm this without further investigation.

We haven't had any bloods taken yet, the vet is trying to address the problem but not the cause at this stage. I've been given Apoquel for 10 days so will see what happens after that.

8. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

See above.

The breeder has been very responsive and has suggested it could be related to an allergy. What other support could she give?

9. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I think you can only continue with the testing. It is a shame that you didn't continue with the insurance which would have covered you for the testing I expect. I don't know what more you can expect from the breeder as I don't think they sold you a sick kitten from what you have said.

Calvine likes this.
  10. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

As you asked about insurance I thought, "sh*t, I forgot to renew the insurance"!

I agree the breeder cannot do much more but thought it with an ask. Hopefully, we will get to root of the problem and my kitten will be well going forward.

Thank you for your responses.

11. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I'm glad the breeder is being responsive and you're also not blaming them. It's a hard situation for you to be in and I hope your little one gets sorted soon. Further allergy testing really is a must

Channy likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Channy - I had not heard of Apoquel being prescribed for a cat aged less than a year old but as it is fairly recent for the drug to be used for cats maybe they are now using it for kittens.

Have flea allergy dermatitis and food allergies all been ruled out in your kitten? Were food allergies ruled out with an elimination diet, and not with blood tests? (blood tests are an unreliable way of detecting food allergies).

13. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

No, flea allergy dermatitis and food allergies have not been ruled out. Vet wants to see if there is any improvement in the kittens fur then carry out further testing if not. She reckons it could be allergies but didn't want to make a formal diagnosis at this stage.

Re the Apoquel I did have to sign a waiver to day that I agree to it being administered to my kitten, so I know it's pretty strong stuff. Not sure about the use on kittens.

14. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

Re the diet been advised to gui back to the food fed by the breeder so will do that with immediate effect, although this particular brand is only available online!

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Most of us only feed online food, it's often much more convenient and the food can be better quality. What is the food?

16. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

Oh ok, Sanabelle- do you have experience of their dry food?

17. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Not one I've used, not (I feed exclusively raw and wet aside from shows and travel), but it looks to be grain free at least.

What had you been feeding as an alternative?

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am not sure for how long Apoquel suppresses the immune system after the course has finished. Maybe a few weeks... When the effect has worn off I recommend you start your kitten on an elimination diet to see if he has any food allergies. An elimination diet is the only scientific way to identify food allergies in cats. I would not agree to blood tests for food allergies as they are well known to be unreliable and expensive.

One of my cats had severe dermatitis when I adopted him as a rescued stray, and through an elimination diet I identified he is allergic to chicken, beef and fish. That was 8 years ago and he has been on a diet since that excludes those 3 meat proteins. There has been no recurrence of the dermatitis.

The elimination diet uses a novel protein for 8 to 10 weeks (this means a protein your kitten has never eaten before in her life). That and water, nothing else. It calms the immune response. Then at the end of the 8 - 10 weeks you re-introduce the usual proteins one by one every 3 weeks and keep a log. With this method I successfully identified food allergies in 3 of my own cats and other cats belonging to friends.

There is a pinned thread on the Heath and Nutrition Boards, giving all the info about the elimination diet and where to buy the food needed:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

If she does better with the Sanabelle Kitten dry food, fair enough, best to stick with it. It's not a food I would choose if I had the option, as it is very high in carbs and has some ingredients which are indigestible for a cat e.g. pea fibre, and fruit (cranberries and blueberries). Also it contains rice and rice meal, which not all cats get on well with. There is a grain free version Sanabelle dry but it is not much better nutritionally as it contains potato which is not great for cats because of the high level of (natural )sugars.

Ingredients of Sanabelle Kitten:
    Poultry meat (fresh, 25%), poultry protein (dried), rice, rice meal, animal fat, fresh poultry liver (5%), liver meal, greaves (dried), protein hydrolysate, dried sugar beet pulp (desugared), linseeds, peas (dried), salmon oil, pea fibres, calcium carbonate, fish meal, whole egg (dried), yeast (dried incl. 0.1% mannanoligosaccharide, 0.06% beta glucan), potassium chloride, cranberries (dried), blueberries (dried), green-lipped mussels (dried), marigold flowers (dried), chicory powder, yucca (dried).

Calvine and bluecordelia like this.
  19. Channy

Channy PetForums Junior

She seems quite fussy so been trying different brands such as James well beloved (which the bet said is the closest to Royal Canin) and now Hills. This is all trial and error for us at the moment. What sort of raw and wet food do you feed you cat(s) with?

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is best to compare the ingredients of the different makes. James Wellbeloved is not the best of foods, the dry food or the wet.

Calvine likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice