Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeders choosing pups for you

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 8, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

What is your opinion of breeders choosing pups for you?

Personally, I don't like it and would walk away from a breeder who chose my puppy for me. I would want to choose my pup myself, its going to be hopefully living with me for up to 15 years, so I want to choose my dog, not someone else choose for me.

If I was looking for a show dog, a breeding dog or a working dog, then I would obviously take the advice of a breeder on which pup out of the litter would do better than the others, but for a pet, I would want to choose my pup myself.

I respect that breeders may have pups available only to show homes, so obviously you don't have a choice of those pups if you are looking for a pet, but out of pet quality pups, you should get a choice.

Do you think a breeder who lets people choose their pups is a BYB?
    Would you want a breeder to choose your puppy for you (pet home)?

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

No i wouldnt

guidence yes choosing no!

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've never had a dog - do dog breeders do this? As a cat breeder I let potential owners have a choice where possible and would advise if they were looking for certain traits etc. but would never consider making a choice for them. I wouldn't want to buy from any breeder, dog or cat, who did

4. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I guess it's the way it's done that may be an issue. I can't see the sense in a breeder saying 'this is the pup I've chosen for you', but advising which pup or pups will suit the future owner is a must IMO. The breeder will have spent far more time with the pups than a future owner can ever hope to and will know their characters. Even littermates with the same genes will have different characters - you will find the more lively ones, the more laid back ones etc. and a good breeder will have done their homework about the kind of home they are going to and will be able to advise the one(s) most suited to their new owners.

Just letting a puppy buyer have a free pick of a whole litter is as wrong as a breeder dictating which puppy a new owner can have IMO.

5. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I have had two litters, in both cases I had a waiting list for the pups for approx two years before I bred, I got to KNOW the people really well, and all without exception agreed for me to direct them to the pup most suitable, based on the fact that I was living with the pups 24/7 for 12 weeks and was able to watch them, and how their characters developed, to help choose the right pup for the right family, the only stipulation most of them had was which sex they preferred, they came visiting regularly well before the pups were due to leave, and during that time as they interacted with the pups it was quite easy to see which pups were suited for them,

mo

hawksport likes this.
  6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I agree that guidance and advice can be given. For example, in Ollie's litter, there was one particular dominant pup who was very mouthy too. She said he would be a difficult pup and need a lot of training to keep him in line. He was already reserved when we went to view the litter so I couldn't have had the pup anyway, but I wouldn't imagine she would stop me from having the pup if he wasn't reserved, she would just tell us what we were in for and if we felt we were up to it. I can understand breeders saying certain traits each puppy has and if you have asked for certain traits, they may direct you to a particular pup, but I can not understand breeders picking a pup for you and saying "here's your pup, I've chosen it for you".

7. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

We originally went to view a male Sar' but when we arrived the breeder claimed he only had a female left. OH was slightly disappointed as he had always had male dogs. But she was a bright little thing, sun in one eye moon in the other. It later transpired that no one wanted this girl because, despite their years of experience with the breed, they believed her to be a little on the twitchy side. She was the dominant one in the pack. She has turned out to be quite a phenomenal dog all told very intelligenmt and quick to learn. When we decided to purchase a second Sar' for a companion we took Zara along and let her choose for us. Oscar and Zara compliment each other beautifully. He goes where she goes and she won't go without him. :)

8. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Maya has been "chosen" by the breeder for us....

She adviced us that she is of the believe that this particular puppy is the best of the litter and might grow into a dog with big potential. I was in love with her from day one anyway.... but obviously was drawn to the other pups as well as all were so cute...

Well, anyway, she was right about maya and she is the prefect dog for us and she grew into a lovely little lady :thumbup:

I believe guidance from the breeder is important to match the pup with the owner as much as possible....

9. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

I dont know of any breeders that say 'I've chosen this pup for you. it's this or nothing' type situation. :D

Puppy temperaments do vary, and although personally I'd still choose to do the temperament test myself (and with a friend to help maybe) to ensure I got the right character of dog I wanted, I wouldn't be worried that a breeder chose a fairly bombproof but gentle puppy for a young family, or a high drive gamey puppy for a working home, just logic that really isn't it? :)

As for looks, well when I got mine, I had already told the breeder what I wanted so she got me three bitches from the puppy pen that looked similar to what I wanted. No problems there, I didn't want a pied boy after all. :thumbup:

10. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I definintely think that whether it is for pet or show or any purpose a good breeder would advise which pup they thought would suit and help you choose (if there is a choice left).

I dont see that it makes any difference what the pup is for, as even if it is for showing, it is still first and foremost your pet, so you still have to like its personality and be able to live with it etc. Plus at that early an age, it could only ever be guidance for showing, as the pup could change a lot as it grows and not end up suitable.

I dont think very highly of breeders that let the potential owners choose a pup that would be completely unsuited to them - for instance my younger sister as a first time dog owner decided to get a Vizsla!! And the breeder let her have the biggest and most outgoing pup of the litter with no warning as to the hard work this was going to be and she has turned out to be a VERY steep learning curve for her - to the point where she almost thought about returning her!

So whilst I would not really appreciate a breeder just saying that they have chosen a puppy for me and thats that without any discussion, I would always appreciate and want a breeder to make a recommendation as to which they thought would suit me and my family most...but I guess this also depends on a certain level of relationship/discussion with the breeder before choosing, not just a kind of turn up and choose and dont speak again until picking pup up.

11. cav

cav PetForums VIP

We do it together :thumbup:

When i had my ruby i waited 18 months for her and the breeder that shows her dogs did not have a problem selling her to me;)

Ive owned cavs all my life and know what im looking for when i veiw a pup and pet owners can have just as good quality pups as a show owner you just need to know the right people in your chosen breed:)

12. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

We (OH) picked a pup at 6 weeks and the breeder advised us to go for our second pick at 8 weeks when ready to collect.

13. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

We observed all the pups, the breeder pointed out the few that were already 'taken'. We looked for one that wasn't pushy, but not timid either. So active and moving around without being a bully (something we'd read about). Also he was easier to spot as he was a tri colour 'blanket' male (so had a mostly completely black back). Several of the pups looked so similar (they were about 5 weeks old I think) that we wanted one we could pick out too lol
    Breeder had taken all our details, and added a notation as to which pup we had chosen (they all had pedigree names as were already registered). So that made it easier too.

14. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

If more suppliers (competently) matched dog to buyer there would be less trouble further down the line.

15. Spanish

Spanish PetForums Junior

Choice is overrated in my opinion. Someone has to have the last of the litter (as Zara above) but will doubtless develop a strong bond and get lasting enjoyment from their dog.

We're on the list for a Spanish Water Dog. We've decided we want a bitch but colour (they can be pretty random) doesn't matter. The breeders will have a lot of input into which puppy we 'choose' because they're the experts. They'll be able to get a good feel for a pup that will suit a young family as opposed to one that might prefer to be worked every day.

If when we get to see the litter the breeder says this is the last available bitch but we think she's right for you I'm probably not going to argue unless it's only got three legs. If we're presented with a choice of the litter I haven't a clue how I'd go about deciding anyway!

16. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

when i rang up the girl who was fostering the pups (my LO is a rescue)

i told her my circumstances,
    what kind of dog i wanted temperment wise
    how active we are as a family ( we do a lot of moor walking and live on a health)

i mentioned the fact i wanted a bigger dog and instantly she said i have the pup for you

i went to meet the litter, was given bear who licked the face off me then fell asleep snoring in my arms.... that was it i was smitten

i held a few other pups but none of them seemed right. either to boisterious or not wantingmy attention

so it turns out she was right and i have ended up with bear

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I would hope a breeder would at least give guidance, and if they didn't think the pup someone had chosen were suitable, that they wouldn't allow them to take it. That said, Indie chose me, but then all the litter were pretty even tempered with only a couple of different characters. And Tau was a hobson's choice, the only available bitch.

18. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Hudson was chosen for us - we wanted a dog that we would be able to give showing a go with and his breeder wanted one of her dogs down this end of the country. He also was a pretty laid back pup which we needed as we had other males in the house. Same kind of situation with Barney - we told her what we were looking for, she knew our situation ect so she let us choose between three puppies. With our other dogs we picked them which was very hard with Bronson - it was a litter of 12. x

19. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I wouldn't mind guidance from the breeder say they said these 3 puppies here would you suit u, I would want to be able to pick one out of the three.

20. Sacha

Sacha PetForums Newbie

Strange she said the same thing to us :confused1::confused1::confused1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice