Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeders And Pet Plan

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Colsy, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Colsy

Colsy Banned

When we bought Hunny B from the breeder, she had 6 weeks free insurance from Pet Plan.
    I know not all breeders supply this but it would be good if they did.
    Can you tell me how much it would cost a breeder to insurance their puppies for 6 weeks?
    Thanks

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

It costs a breeder nothing to send all puppies away with 6 weeks insurance ;)

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It costs breeders nothing to provide the six weeks insurance, they just have to register with Petplan, or the KC, or whichever insurance company.

The bad news however is that it's not cheap to insure the bitch, during and after whelping. Or if you choose not to insure, it isn't always cheap for treatment should anything not go to plan.

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

It doesn't cost the breeder anything, but I think pet plan have now reduced it to 4 weeks. Pet plan also offer a similar free introductory insurance is also through vet practices.

5. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Thank you all.
    I just know someone who bought a puppy and is having problems with the insurance company.
    They have only had the puppy well under a month.
    They said they do not pay out the first 14 days,under the cover:confused:
    But surely if the puppy is under 3 weeks cover they should pay out straight away.
    All sounds a bit fishy to me.

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Did they get free insurance and activate it. With the KC free cover they buyer needs to call the KC to activate it. With the petplan one, the breeder or vet activates it. If it isn't the free insurance and your friend took their own out then there is a 14 day exclusion.

7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I used PetPlan's breeder cover years ago when it first started up for my kittens.

I don't know what the current regulations are but I do know that most infections and viruses in any animal species have a 10-14 day incubation period before they emerge. In view of that I would agree with the 2-wk exclusion.

BTW at the start with PetPlan it wasn't free, the breeder had to pay a small amount. That may be why they have reduced it to 4 wks but free now.

8. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hiya
    It does not cost the breeder to set the pups up with the six weeks free insurance.
    There is no 14 day exclusion period with six weeks free insurance either - However if your friend has taken out a policy on her own then there is a 14 day exclusion placed.
    Get her to call petplan back and confirm to her exactly what cover she has - your friend will also have a copy of the insurance documents - she needs to read the terms and conditions of the policy she has.:)

9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

what i did was to start my insurance 14 days before the petplan free insurance ran out, so that i had continuous cover.
    it's always the few days you aint insured when a disaster happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice