Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeder selling sick dogs via Facebook/Instagram

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kobithepug, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Kobithepug

Kobithepug PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Kobi a merle pug was purchased from xxxxxxxxxxxxK for£4250.

Kobi was described by the breeder & her veterinarian as other then a small scratch on his eye to be "perfectly healthy". Living in another country, we never got to physically see Kobi before purchase other then a few photos and short 4-5 second video clips that weren't very clear. Not being able to see the dog, we relied on the information the breeder provided us about his health and thought she was a professional person that wouldn't deceive us. Yet now we know we were lied to and deceived from the very beginning.

Kobi was born on August 31 and arrived via courier on January 19 when he was 4 months 3 weeks old. It was immediately noticed the day Kobi arrived something was wrong with his rear legs. We notified the breeder that we noticed something odd about the way Kobi stands and how his back slopes & we were ridiculously told that "Kobi stands like a show dog and he stands different because he's merle", when in reality we later learned by an MRI is Kobi's sloping stance from the day he arrived was caused by a growing cyst in his spine to the point where Kobi now can't walk and needs to be carried everywhere. While undergoing an X-ray, Kobi was revealed to have a crooked spine, is missing vertebrae (he has 6 lumbar vertabrae where canines should have 7), other vertabrae are deformed & has severe dysplasia in both of his rear legs, & hasn't been able to control his bladder since arriving, NONE of which was disclosed to us before purchasing Kobi. Kobi was described in the breeders words "the best merle pug in the world" when in fact he was sold & sent to us with many hidden health problems as were later revealed. We later learned Kobi is also a PDE carrier which was another undisclosed genetic illness the breeder was aware of prior to selling Kobi.

When confronted about Kobi's condition the breeder told us ridiculous things such as that "we chose Kobi", "we could have chosen another dog", "Kobi is yours", & "I can't speak now I'm busy delivering pups, chat later" to no eventual response. (please remember Kobi was chosen based on photos we saw on Instagram & others that were sent to us via WhatsApp). In regards to his uncontrollable bladder we were told to "get him a belly band it should help with his peeing". Sorry, but we can't see how such a statement by the breeder is to be accepted after selling as described "a perfectly healthy dog" for £4,250 to then telling us to buy him a belly band because he arrived so sick that he hasn't been able to control his bladder since. Kobi pees in a normal walk not aware he's even peeing. On April 12, we were also told "all other pups from mum and dad are fine and mum and dad are fine", which is clearly one of many lies we've been told along the way as Kobi's mom was tested to be a SS PDE carrier and already put up for adoption by the breeder.

After Kobi's MRI he was prescribed medicine to take for a month. The breeder said she "spoke to her vet and he said we would put him on this medicine and he'd be better after a few days". After a month passed and his prescribed medicine ended we notified the breeder that the medicine did not resolve the problems and Kobi was not walking again and that he needed spinal surgery and requesting all his health records while he was in her care. The breeder has since broken off communication, she hasn't returned any phone calls or messages, she has proceeded to block all of our phone numbers from which we contacted her during the buying process. We received just a prerecorded WhatsApp message saying "she's busy and can't talk now".

We were told Kobi would come with a full health report and papers claiming he's perfectly healthy. The only thing Kobi came with was his vaccination history. No contract was provided only a "sales receipt". (The kind you buy at a office supply store 500 at a time). Since arriving Kobi has seen a half dozen different vets and neurologists and all have made the same statement, "you were sold an already sick dog, the breeder had to have known this sending him at 4.5 months of age and shouldn't have sold him to you without disclosing these problems".

Since creating Kobi's Instagram page & doing some research we uncovered other unhappy owners who bought puppies from the same breeder that came sick with hernias or undisclosed PDE among other problems. Also we contacted clubs & organizations the breeders claimed to be a member of in her advertising & received this reply "we have no one with that name on our system, therefor we have no dealings with them".

It's clear to us that the breeder just wants to deliver and sell pups without fully checking the health of the pup & the unsuspecting problems the future owners must go through in curing these sick pups. The many sleepless nights, time off from work driving Kobi around from vet to vet and the growing vet bills all caused by being misled that we were buying a "perfectly healthy dog" when in fact it was the complete opposite.

I have all medical records, MRI, X-ray, history conversations with the breeder and list of people with similar stories that I can provide to further prove everything written above.

Since going public with Kobi's Story the breeder has since made her Instagram profile private, has taken down her Facebook page, yet still advertises her dogs for sale on Pets4Homes and other websites. She even sells and offers to ship worldwide the sperm of Kobi's father (Franky Blue Eyes). Be VERY CAREFUL when purchasing a dog from this breeder so you do not experience the horror we've gone through ever since receiving what she described to be a "perfectly healthy dog".

Attached Files:

#1 Kobithepug, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear your story. Can I ask what research you did do before buying your puppy? I have never heard of someone buying a puppy from pictures on Instagram before I must say, and paying such an extortionate price for a breed that is generally not healthy in the first place is a huge red flag for someone who does research into how to ethically buy a sound puppy from good stock. Not to mention a Merle?? The kennel club does not recognise this colour due to associated ill health effects, something that a simple google search can reveal for somebody interested in researching the potential health of any puppy they were looking to buy.

While I do have great sympathy for you and the heartache that must have happened due to this unscrupulous person I have to question the ethics and reasons behind why you chose to buy this dog in the first place, surely not because it was good for the dog in some way but more for yourself? While it's good to warn people about this person, should somebody ever come on here asking for advice on buying a puppy and describing the set up as you have done there isn't a single person on here really that would advocate for buying this puppy in the first place.

Canarie, magpie, ouesi and 6 others like this.
  3. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Another very quick google reveals this kennel sells 'rare' colour Chihuahua's, pugs and French Bulldogs.

Was it this 'rare' colour that drew you to buying this puppy? Did you look into these 'kennels' and what was your opinion on the multiple breeds being sold?

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there making tens of thousands off the backs of unhealthy, unregistered 'rare' coloured dogs. They are rare for a reason and unfortunately the people buying them are duped. We have had dozens of people post on here asking for advice on such puppies, they have been given the correct advice on avoiding such immoral breeders, and much of the time I believe they probably ignore the advice because it doesn't agree with what their ego wants.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Poor puppy.

Phoolf put it all so much more politely than I could.

J

mrs phas, MiffyMoo, Canarie and 7 others like this.
  5. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

You have my utmost sympathies but as above I can only question the logic in paying so much for a dog from such an unknown source. As long as there are 'punters' out there this sort of abominable practice will continue, if this were about fake antiques or paintings I could at least accept it as just a 'criminal scam' but a dog is a living breathing creature that suffers pain and fear.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am very sorry that you have been scammed and ended up with a dog that is going to have a very short, painful and expensive life - but surely you must have realised that a merle pug is not correct and that the price you paid is about 4 times what you should pay for a well bred and healthy (or as healthy as a pug can ever be) pug.
    I wonder if it would be kinder to put the poor pup out of its pain and before you buy another puppy put a bit more research into it.

I have a lot of sympathy for you as you obviously did not realise what you were getting yourself into but the pup has to come first now and is it fair to keep going.

7. Kobithepug

Kobithepug PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies. To add more information to the above post. We already have a fawn male pug who has been with us since a puppy and is now 11 years old. We also have a Pekingese girl who we adopted at age 3 and is now 6. Kobi was purchased to be a family pet. We saw photos of Kobi on the breeders websites and fell in love with him. We were aware that risks involved in merle dogs as research was done. Many questions were asked the breeder in regards to Kobi's health and his parents. The problem isn't that we didn't do any research and just bought the dog blindly, we asked extensive questions in regards to his health and expressed to the breeder we do not want a problematic dog as written on the internet some merle pugs could be since it is not a recognized color. The breeder assured us he is "perfectly healthy, the best merle pug in the world". Her vet came on the phone to explain to us how healthy he is. After receiving Kobi we realized it was all one big lie and scam in which the breeder and the vet had to have known this dog wasn't healthy prior to sending him. I'm spreading the word in regards to Kobi's situation because this same breeder continues to breed and sell these same dogs to more unsuspecting people around the world and this must be stopped. I couldn't explain the suffering Kobi is going through and we as a family in caring for him. He has his spinal surgery scheduled in the next couple weeks and it is our hope this helps him to live as normal of a life as he can. If anyone has anymore questions I will answer them.

8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Personally, this would have made me run a mile.

MiffyMoo, Mccjen and Burrowzig like this.
  9. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Are you suing?

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Not sure what country you are in but do you have a trading standards or similar. It might be worth going to see them though you have probably left it a bit late now if you have been going through expensive veterinary treatment. If you already have a pug and you researched I am at a loss to know why you bought from a puppy farmer producing 'rare' colours and charging a ridiculous price.

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I do feel sorry for you ending up in this situation and particularly sorry for the poor pup who is the innocent victim in all of this.

Honestly, I cannot fathom why anyone would pay such a staggering sum of money for a pup they haven't seen and particularly a pup which isn't a recognised colour.

I appreciate that you sought assurance from the Breeder that your pup was healthy, but she is hardly a neutral party. Of course she would say the pup was healthy, she wanted your money and was never going to tell the truth.

I feel you've been extremely naïve and whilst it's very, very wrong such pups are being bred and sold, so long as people buy them, the practise will continue.

The most basic rule when buying any puppy is always see it with it's Mum.

You really didn't know what you were buying, you saw pictures and trusted the Breeder, someone you don't even know.

12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I sympathise with your situation, but if you carried out "extensive" research into merle dogs and went ahead with the sale anyway, you have to shoulder some of the responsibility for your situation. Not all - I stress the point that this isn't entirely your fault - the breeder absolutely shouldn't be selling badly bred pups of an unrecognised colour - especially one with known health problems associated with the colour, but you went ahead with the sale of a pup of dubious "quality".

What's the ages of your other dogs got to do with this situation?

What country are you in? Are pugs exceptionally rare there? What enticed you to buy from this breeder?

ouesi likes this.
  13. Wilmer

Wilmer PetForums Senior

I won't repeat the sound comments others have made. Regarding the vet - I assume their practice information is on the vacc card? I think you should consider reporting them to BVA (or local equivalent) for misconduct at the very least. Assuming the breeder is UK/Ireland (or most places), you should have recourse through the courts for purchase price/vets fees. Obviously that won't make the poor chap healthy, but it may help prevent a repeat.

Not meaning to criticise, but I'm a bit surprised that you mention doing research but had no qualms buying from a breeder producing multiple breeds and without KC regs or seeing parents/puppy in person. These are all massive red flags.

14. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

It's Newcastle Upon Tyne, which is my neck of the woods. :Shifty

15. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Just looking at twitter it is pretty obvious they're a dealer/ byb. They're not even close to reputable by any stretch of the imagination. I doubt you spoke to their vet. I doubt they own half of the dogs, but are also acting as middle man for dealers. They must have thought their birthday and Christmas had come all at once, getting over £4K for a sick puppy. Hateful, hateful people. :Rage

It's a story that can warn people to do their research before buying a puppy, if people look before they buy instead of after. Sadly the OP made about every mistake in the book. Hopefully others will learn from their story, but unfortunately as long as as people fall for these scams, they'll keep happening.

#15 Elles, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
    LinznMilly likes this.
  16. SixStar

SixStar Banned

A fool and their money........

Poor dog.

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Edited to remove breeders identifying details and potentially libellous content.

MiffyMoo and LinznMilly like this.
  18. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I feel sorry for the pup but really why would anybody trust a person selling pups for such large sums at face value via email etc? This lack of research was precisely what Sweety (I think) mentioned yesterday on another thread and it really is asking to be ripped off to just trust somebody who is clearly trying to make money. People need to wise up, all is not as it seems at face value online!

lorilu, Elles and LinznMilly like this.
  19. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

£4k for a pup?! Jez Louise I didn't realise they were so expensive :Woot

I am very sorry to hear about your plight and for your poor poor pup :( you have paid dearly for your naivety and poor research. A hard lesson learnt :/

I understand its a mind field when it comes to breeders and they are very very sneaky in getting you to part with your money for a 'cute' puppy, please do continue to promote your story on what not to do and promote meeting the breeders a few times, asking the questions, seeing mum with pup etc.

I wouldnt part with £4,000 for a car i have never seen never mind a dog

LinznMilly likes this.
  20. Canarie

Canarie PetForums Member

Breaks my heart to read this.
    Feel so sorry for the puppy.Plus,can only imagine what horrors the mum is suffering and no doubt will be dumped when no use as a breeding machine.
    For as long as people buy from these puppy breeders this will continue and the mothers if lucky will end up in rescue.

Canarie

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice