Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breeder help?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Clare D, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Clare D

Clare D PetForums Newbie

Hi there! I’m new so please excuse if I’m not posting in the right place! After many many years of waiting we are in the position to offer a puppy a home! And our choice is a Labrador, we are in Kent but willing to travel but would be really grateful of any recommendations for breeders? We are a active family, 3 children and live by the sea with plenty of parks and woodlands. Thanks a lot! X

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Be prepared to be patient. Most good breeders now have waiting lists stretching into next year, meanwhile all the puppy farmers are breeding anything that breathes to keep up with the demand (so many sickly puppies are dying out there) and scammers with no puppies at all are raking it in.

Now, mid-pandemic, is a HARD time to get a dog as EVERYONE has decided it's now time to get a dog.

In the meantime, you can research breeders on Champdogs.

Lurcherlad, caterpiller and Sarah H like this.
  3. Clare D

Clare D PetForums Newbie

Hi thanks for replying, we aren’t actually looking at bringing our puppy home until next year, I’d much rather wait and enter the process properly and prepared! I just wondered if there was any recommendations from experience from anyone here, like you say there are copious amounts of adverts out there, all promising healthy pets but I’d rather wait x

LinznMilly, caterpiller and Sarah H like this.
  4. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Hi, We have a Golden Retriever called Luna. When we were looking for a suitable Golden Retriever breeder we looked on Champdogs and also the Kennel Club website. They list contact details of assured breeders. You can look under the breed you are looking for and by area. In a round and about way we were put in touch with our breeder before we had researched her details on the site. Good luck x

5. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

We ended up rehoming our Lab boy but when we started looking I contacted local breeders via Champdogs and looked for those who were part of breed clubs.

We were looking for an older dog so a slightly different scenario but a number were really helpful.

I know there is supposed to be a good breeder in Smarden but have no personal experience x

Clare D likes this.
  6. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

Like others, I looked at Champdogs but I also found a local breeder that had stud dogs and advertised the matings, and so I was able to contact breeders that way. The owner of the stud dog shows her dogs (Labradors) regularly, so I knew the dogs actually existed!

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

8. Clare D

Clare D PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone, I’ve actually contacted a couple of breeders via Champdogs over the last couple of days and am just awaiting replies. It’s just reassuring to have advice from somewhere like this. Being our first dog and after waiting so long I just don’t want to make a mistake, and there seems to be so many “breeders” xx

9. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

Should probably say that you should be looking out for a puppy where both parents have been health tested (and not just vet checked). As a minimum, Labradors should be tested for hips, elbows and eyes, but there are various DNA tests too for things like Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC). “TheLabradorsite” online will have more info, and I’m sure Labrador breeders on this site will too! We nearly got caught out initially by looking in the local paper- the puppy wasn’t KC registered “because it’s easier for the puppy owner to do the paperwork themselves” (this is a lie- the puppy probably wasn’t KC registered because the parents weren’t) and also wasn’t microchipped (which is illegal- same excuse given re paperwork). I found the MyKC site helpful for looking up various dogs and their health tests etc.

Clare D likes this.
  10. Clare D

Clare D PetForums Newbie

Thanks for this, I must admit there are some very convincing adverts out there for puppies, but very few are KC registered and have the minimum health test etc, and come with a hefty price tag and immediate availability! I’d much rather have the peace of mind and have to wait a while. But it’s very daunting when you aren’t experienced in all the processes and terminology x

11. Eejay

Eejay PetForums Member

I completely agree! It was our first dog too, and felt like such a minefield! In the end I did a lot of reading- here, and TheLabradorSite etc- plus Champdogs generally have breeders who have done health tests, although I am told that “Kennel Club Assured Breeder” isn’t necessarily a good indicator of quality, as good breeders are on it but so are very “commercial “ breeders. That’s why people often recommend that you contact the breed clubs- hopefully you’ll then start to be given names of possible breeders- although as others have said, I think a lot of individual breeders are pretty overwhelmed at the moment, and don’t always have time to even reply to the number of emails they’re getting. If you’re prepared to wait, that should help. Good luck!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Don’t expect to hear back very quickly from the breeders you have contacted on Champdogs, they are being overwhelmed by emails asking about puppies due and forthcoming litter plans. When I say overwhelmed, someone said they were getting over a thousand emails a day at one point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice