Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breed: Tabby

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ellie8024, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i have been looking through a few kitten ads and a new bug bear of mine are people advertising their kitten under tabby as a breed or saying that their kitten is a tabby cross and then bumping up the prices

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Whay annoys me me people saying 'bengal looking'

As the cat has a marble PATTERN but is a moggy?? then charging £150 for a ginger marble?! :rolleyes:

3. xxSaffronxx

xxSaffronxx PetForums VIP

yeah some people put Burmese x Tabbys (for example) in the Burmese section - when they should be in the "Non Breed" section.

4. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

It's the same for British Shorthairs. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen someone claim they are selling BSH when really they mean DSH or moggy. :eek:ut:

It looks like almost every breeder has a bug bear with these sorts of ads. But I honestly think that very often the seller is just someone who genuinely doesn't understand the difference. I've spoken to a lot of people who innocently believed that tabby was a breed of cat. Or that ginger females are "extremely rare". And I have been asked by close family and friends why Cleo was so expensive when you can get a BSH from a rescue for so much less. I'm constantly explaining the difference! It's often a case of mis-education unfortunately, rather than greed. :rolleyes:

Although you'll probably all tell me I have a rose tinted view of the free ads. :eek:

xx

5. Shelley Cat Lover

Shelley Cat Lover PetForums Member

I agree, I think a lot of people out there don't know the difference. When i told my parents I was picking up a BSH, they claimed thats what their (mean dwarf sized) moggie was and another family member claimed to have re-homed a siamese... turned out it was a very round choc colourpoint moggie :rolleyes:

But I think some people are getting pretty unscrupulous on the ads, if it seems to cheap to be true, it normally is :)

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i agree that a lot of it is lack of knowledge but i phoned up about one kitten that i was interested in and i am not a very condecending person and i explained to the person that tabby was a pattern not a breed and they said "they are my cats and i can say what i like and get more money from people thinking that they are getting an unusual breed".. she only said this after i had decided NOT to take the kitten

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice