Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

breed related to housetraining?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 8, 2009.

?

Housetraining

1. Easy

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Hard

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. About average

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Hey :)

just thought id post a thread to see if there is a link between weather dog is easy to housetrain with certain breeds?

put which breed you got in the post and how long roughly it took to house train your puppy :)

thanks

#1 emilylp, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I don't think my dogs will fit in the mailbox :p

3. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Hahahah :D lol

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Bulldogs, almost a year.

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I own two Staffords,my boy was really easy to train but my bitch was a nightmare,I think it's down to the individual dog not breed ;)

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Hahaha Sal, I wish it were, all my Bulldogs were a nightmare (most on the rescue site you see are grown up dogs and still not housetrained) maybe it's their stubborness and the fact they can be idle buggers when they set their mind to it :D

American Bulldogs, totally different kettle of fish, very easy to pick things up :)

Been told Shar-Pei are very clean dogs, don't like making a mess and puppies as young as four weeks old try to get outside as they don't like soiling their beds or indoors - maybe next breed for me haha! :D

7. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Shih tzu... about 2 weeks (had him at 10 weeks and he was housetrained by 12 weeks). He is now 17 weeks and has had one accident in the house and that was our fault not his.

8. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Labrador.
    4 months.
    But he was doing really well after one week, it's just that we had the occasional accident up until he was 4 months old.
    x

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Gsd, about average, he was completely house trained by about 3 months.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don't think it has anything to do with breed. It's just how you go about doing it.

With Dixie she had hardly any accidents by the time I'd had her a couple of weeks. As I just made sure I gave her more than enough oppurtunities to get out to pee.

With Dave, once most of his brothers and sisters had left it was easier to get him out, so again, only a few weeks.

But you do have to stick to a schedule and keep taking them out often.

A dog will never be house trained unless you give him the right times available to toilet.

x

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I cant really do it ive had 3 springers both boys early but girl a nightmare i would say a year and i still dont trust her 100% so dont know wether boys are easier or just coincidental

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our male Bichon was 8 months before he was fully housetrained but has been very clean ever since (except for a bit where he went through seperation anxiety) Our puppy Bichon who is 17 weeks old tomorrow seems to be getting there although she still has accidents in the house. Sometimes she will ask to go out and other times she won't bother.:rolleyes:

It is well known that Bichons are meant to be a hard breed to housetrain and some people don't manage to do it.

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I voted average which the whippets were they quickly learned to go out for a wee but didn't always ask to be let out if they needed to go.

The greyhounds were quite hard but both had lived in kennel William until he was 8 months and Button until she was 2 years. Neither are completely house trained we still have accidents but then greyhounds are not the most inteligent dogs in the world. Some one will not doubt say different on this one.

Zoe the setter was easy to house train but then seemed to forget. She still sometime slips up if I am late getting up in the morning which isn't often with the greyhounds who need to go out at 5.30 every morning.

14. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've got 2 miniature poodles and Cheeko only took a week or so. I've only had Blu a day and already he's started coming up and crying when he needs. Only had 1 accident since we got him so hoping it won't take too long either!!

15. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Buster and Silas were the only ones we had to train and they were completely trained in about 2 months. Basset hounds from experience are hell to house train it took about 6-7 months to train my friends dog

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice