Breed Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by winterrose, Feb 9, 2018.

1. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Member

I'm thinking about my next breed. I am fully aware that (in the past) I wasn't in the best of situations, however they've heavily improved and my life is nearly back to normal. I don't want to add another dog for several years - there's plenty of things that I want to achieve with Micheie first. However, I want to start the research process early to allow me plenty of time to do as much research as possible and allow me to get on the waiting list for a great breeder.

So, here are my requirements:

I live in a medium-sized house with a medium-sized garden :)

I live in quite a busy area. However, I have recently found several lovely, tranquil walking paths that takes us through open fields, rivers and a little forest!

I can devote roughly two hours to exercising (not all on lead for a young puppy, of course) as that's what I need to provide for Micheie anyways.

I'm not fussy about coat. I'd prefer a breed that sheds minimally, or in cycles and I don't want too much maintenance!

Children regularly visit my house. I always monitor contact between children and Micheie, however a breed that is known to be relatively good with children is ideal.

This dog would (obviously) be living with another dog.

This dog would be left at home for roughly four hours several days a week. Someone comes in to let Micheie out, they'd do the same for puppy :)

I would love an intelligent, highly trainable dog. Micheie will start competing in dog sports late this year/early next year. I would love to be able to do so with another dog (pending on whether they enjoy the sport).

I'm not too fussed about size, either. Small to medium would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind going slightly larger.

I would like a breed that is known to be easy to train recall to! :)

I don't mind rarer breeds. My priority is finding the right breed!

Thank you!

2. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Staffie

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell It wasn't me.

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Another vote for staffie.

5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

A spaniel of some kind?

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Cocker or a Sheltie

7. winterrose

Thank you, I'm quite fond of staffies. I'll do a bit more research into them! :)

Thank you, I love cocker spaniels and shelties! I'll have a look at them :) I love pastoral and gundog breeds! I'll definitely pay all of these breeds a visit at Crufts!

8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Miniature/Standard/Giant Schnauzer.

Highly intelligent dogs that excel at most sports. A very hardy breed with lovely affectionate personalities who normally gets on well with children, other dogs/cats and small furries and featheries!

They don't shed but need a daily brush plus a three monthly trip to the groomers (unless you decide to strip/clip them yourself)

9. winterrose

Thank you, another breed to definitely consider! I'd love to learn to strip a dog, so grooming wouldn't be a problem :)

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

How about a german spitz? not a common dog but very loyal mine loves kids they come in 2 sizes klien which are under 11" or mittels which are over 11". Yes they are fluffy and people think they take a lot of grooming but they don't Bear gets a good brush about every 2 weeks and a quick brush once or twice a week unlike some long haired breeds their coats don't easily get knotted and tangled. They blow their coat once a year and during that time Bear gets a good brush more often. He will take as much exercise as you want to give him a lot of spitz do other sports especially agility as they are very good jumpers.

Here is my Bear as a lot of people do not know what a german spitz looks like as I say don't be fooled by the hair.

20170402_135115.jpg

KatieandOliver and evel-lin like this.
  11. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Oh, Bear is adorable :D

12. courtney77

courtney77 PetForums Newbie

ik a lot of geman shepards . spaniels jrt and staffies contact me

13. courtney77

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shes good with dogs cats and children

14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

Are you representing an official rescue?

If so please post details of your dogs looking for homes in the 'Dog Rescue' section of the forums.

15. winterrose

I wanted a German Spitz before I got Micheie, they're lovely dogs. I'll look into them in more depth! Thank you for the recommendation.

I appreciate your offer, thank you. However I'm not looking to add another one for a few years.

16. courtney77

no bother

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A germa spitz was never a breed I would have looked at before we got Bear. We only really got him to get him out of a bad situatio that was nearly 2 years ago but he stole our hearts and so here he stayed. I would definitley have another if the opportunity ever arose although I doubt that would happen for the foreseeable future.

18. winterrose

Awww, I'll definitely see if I can meet a few! They sound like a lovely breed.

19. courtney77

she is gone to a forever home x