Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Breed - help!

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Pets' started by marcbearpig, May 10, 2018.

1. marcbearpig

marcbearpig PetForums Newbie

I’ve just come into possession of a 2 year old staffy bitch. She has a wonderful temperament and she is amazing with the kids. She was abandoned before we got her so she has a bit of separation anxiety but she is gelling to the family really well.

Here’s the kicker...we haven’t yet taken her to the vets because someone made a comment on her possibly being a staff/pit cross.

Is there any way to tell the breed without taking her to the vet? If there’s any pit lineage she will be seized and possibly destroyed and she doesn’t deserve that treatment.

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Well you can get DNA tests... but it is questionable how accurate these are.

TBH, it doesn't matter if they are pit or not in a way. The DDA (is that the right term?) defines a 'type' and if your dog is of 'type' then it could be seized. Whether your dog is of type is determined by certain measurements.

Also, you are going to have to take your dog to the vet at some point. It would be irresponsible of you to say you are not taking your dog to the vet at all because of this. What if your dog becomes ill? What about health checks or vaccinations? I doubt the vet would report you tbh. They probably would take your dog as a staffy, if that's what you believe her to be.

Staffys can come in all shapes and sizes, why does one persons comment make that the right? To you, she's a staffy so I would treat her as such.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Can you post a picture of her?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice