Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breed help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AnimalLoverSian, Mar 24, 2011.

1. AnimalLoverSian

AnimalLoverSian PetForums Junior

Hi,
    My family are considering getting a dog in the future (spring 2012) And we are now stuck between breeds, If any of you have the breeds of dogs below can you give me a quick description of them and how easy they are to house break, train etc
    It would help loads :)

-Bichon Frise
    -Havanese
    -Miniture Poodle

2. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I dont know much about the others, but id love a havanese. They are great family dogs. out going and love active life. I read a few times that they can be a bit tricky to house train and can be a bit barky but other training they are good at, eager to please and learn well. The reason i wont be getting a havanese though is the price, they are quite rare and good pups sell for £1000 +. Cant afford that and to be honest, not sure id spend that on a dog. xx

3. ilovepets

ilovepets PetForums Newbie

I'm torn between this two, so I'll just give you a brief description and you can decide. ;)

1. Bichon Frise -Very intelligent, gentle, and adaptable,also very charming pet. Lively, stout,very merry, and exuberant, they are quite strong-willed. When it comes to training, you have to constantly do that or be firm in training Bichon frise.

2. Havanese - Gentle, endearing and affectionate. Also, they are attentive,intelligent(which makes them easy to train) and quiet but enjoys rowdy play. They cant be on children due to their small size, it is not really a great option if you have little kids at home but if children are closely monitored, it is possible. Since havanese loves to play and intelligent, they learn quickly when training. For them, training is just playing because they love to play. Clearly, they will be a great training partner.

Hope this will help. :D

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I think mini poodles are great. All these breeds need a lot of grooming, especially the bichon and the poodle. They will need to clipped/scissored every 4-6 weeks. you can either pay a groomer to do it or you can learn yourself. They will need brushing very regularly because they matt easily and they do not moult.

5. AnimalLoverSian

AnimalLoverSian PetForums Junior

Thank you all for the help :D
    We are steering towards the Bichon Frise, I have a friend whos mum is a beautitian and she cuts dogs fur better than a groomer and she said she would help out ;)
    I got a few quotes and for a Bichon frise in my area would be £900 for a male pup which is the limit we want to pay, we did look at Coton De Tulear (very rare) and a male pup was £1500 which is far too steep for us to pay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice