Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breed gait - silly question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Smalldogs, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

As a lifelong owner of small dogs, I am intrigued by the foreleg movement of my bigger crossbred puppy. With little dogs, the legs go twinkle-twinkle-twinkle under the body (sorry for the twee description, but that's how I see it). This guy has a lovely swinging gait from the shoulder, more like the way a big cat like a cheetah moves than what I think of as canine. It's a really eye-catching gait, and several people have commented how "predator" it looks. I don't know enough about big dogs' gait to know if there is a breed that moves like this.
    Any suggestions?

2. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Junior

How old is your puppy and what breed mix is he? Puppies can be bandy-legged and a bit gangly as they grow, but a 'swinging gait' to the extent you mention is not normal and would ring alarm bells to me. Do you have a video of it?

3. Smalldogs

I'm probably wording it badly - it doesn't look like an "alarm bell" type of movement, just un-dog-like. He's five months old, and an eccentric mix - sire was a Pug (a pretty sound one, not the crippled type) and mother a medium-size mix rather like one of the old-style collies before they looked like Lassie. Pup at the moment is going through the ultra-gangly stage, all legs (looks as if he's on stilts), but not bandy-legged at all. It sounds silly, but apart from the head he looks rather like a toy-size Anatolian Shepherd. Will try and get a video, but am very bad at having the camera ready at the right moment!

4. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Junior

Puppies can look very odd as they grow :D Especially when they suddenly shoot upwards and become all leggy! If it doesn't look 'alarm bell' type stiff, exaggerated or strained movement, then it could well just be him getting used to his new long legs :Hilarious I had a Labrador puppy years ago who went through a phase of tripping herself up and face planting when she was running as she had these lovely long legs that she just wasn't used to and couldn't organise properly. Her elbows/shoulders were great and she never had any orthopaedic or neurological problems in her life. So it could well just be that? :)

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon was a large dog, I'd say his gait was more lion like.

6. Smalldogs

Thank you, Happy Paws2. I felt sure there must be some large breed that moved like that - have just hastily looked up Briard gait and found " light, supple gait, like that of a large feline", which is just what I was looking for. I reckon my pup's mystery mother has some herding breed in her, will never know what (her owner bought her as a Pomeranian, which she clearly isn't), but it's interesting looking for breed characteristics.

Did I mention that, as well as having a striking gait, my puppy is quite wonderful?...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice