Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breed Club

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by candysmum, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I have an issue one that i dont know if i want to stand by.

I want to join my breed club But there is somethign i do not agree with and i never ever will.

Dalmatian Breed club state if you have a deaf puppy you are have to pts. It is in there code of conduct.

Now i could join the club but then it looks as if i support this which i do not OR i dont join the club because of this.

2. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Personally I couldn't become a member of a breed club that condones putting down a puppy because it is deaf let alone when you have had deaf puppies yourself.

But that's just my opinion.....

3. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Really? I am shocked that is still advised..I would have thought pet homed! I certainly wouldnt be supporting that!

Edit -- I have just searched the code of ethics and I didnt see it say that?

#3 Devil-Dogz, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Was just about to say the same thing - here is the code of ethics - not only does it not mention anything about having a deaf puppy pts, it actually states the opposite: "no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the breed standards should be placed into suitable homes"

http://www.britishdalmatianclub.org.uk/downloads/membform.pdf

(the code of ethics is on p9)

Candysmum - who told you it was in the code of ethics?

#4 Spellweaver, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

6. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Dalmatian club of britain says
    British Dalmatian Club - Code of Ethics

3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.

7. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

ha ha great minds and all that :tongue_smilie:

8. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

lol - think we got that message over! :lol:

9. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I won't be becoming a member of the breed club here because I don't fit in the with poodle clique so I'll stand by my own ethics until (probaly won't be though!) a day comes where they aren't so bitchy ;)

10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I thought any puppy that was deaf was neuterd/spayed & not breed from.

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Actually, they do seem to recommend death. If you read under their health section:

12. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

But that doesnt come under the code of ethics does it, more like 'advice'. Advice that is very out dated and not needed, unless a pup was to suffer - but still not something all breeders have to abide to.

13. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Banjo & his litter had there test at 6 weeks old how could anyone do that to a puppy that age :( One of his brothers failed but his breeder kept him :)

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No it doesnt, but having read most of the website, they are not in the slightest bit supportive of deaf puppies being rehomed, and offer no advice in sourcing the best placement for them. In fact they are very down on deaf pups, and very much "for the greater good" in regards to euthanasia.

Take this section for instance:

What heartache? If you're attached to your dog and find out its deaf, then you take steps to change your training methods.

15. Fleur

Well spotted

British Dalmatian Club - Hearing Test Process
    I supose they are advising think hard before keeping a deaf puppy as it's your responisibility as the breeder to keep the puppy or any puppy with health issues.

16. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I am not suggesting deaf pups should be put to sleep, but many owners would struggle to train one, they'd struggle to train a hearing one ....

17. Fleur

To answer the original question.
    It doesn't appear to be in their code of ethics however the club seems to be advicing the cull of deaf puppies or the breeder to keep any deaf puppies rather than sell them on - they seem to be leaning more towards culling than keeping.
    I would join - as there will be lots of dally experts to give advice and like minded people to talk to - and work at changing attitudes from with in :)

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It does make you wonder just how many would actually go ahead with killing a pup merely for being deaf. I can't see any decent dog/dally lover having a perfectly healthy pup that knows no difference, PTS.

Yes, it would mean working harder to find a responsible home, or keeping the pup themselves, but i cant see why its quality of life would be any different to any other dog.

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I think it's hard enough for breeders to find responsible homes for hearing pups, so it must be difficult to find experienced or people willing to learn about rearing a deaf puppy. In the right home, these pups can do wonderfully, in the wrong one they will end up a *problem dog" and at best back at the breeders or in in rescue. At the worst, well need I say it?

Of course this can happen to any pup, before someone says so ... But a deaf puppy will need a different training to one who can hear and an owner who appreciates and is dedicated to this.

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Well if the breeder is responsible, then surely they have a waiting list for the healthy pups? That would just leave the deaf one (s). Yes, it would be harder to home the pup, but no impossible.

I wonder what sort of effort the breeders and breed club are putting in to combat this problem, as 1 in 12 seems awfully high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice