Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

breathing

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by raynor25, Mar 1, 2008.

1. raynor25

raynor25 PetForums Newbie

Hi, my 1 yr old hermann makes a whistling noise when he breathes is this normal ?> he is very active and eating very well.

2. leggy

leggy PetForums Member

Hi is his nose and eyes clear and wot do you house him in and feed him on. Can you also tell me the temps under the lamp and down call end:)Alison

3. carol

carol PetForums VIP

if his whistling might have a lung infection check him out at a vet.

4. leggy

leggy PetForums Member

Could well be could also be enviermental (sp) I try not to run strait to vets with mine. Best to rule out other things:) Forgot to ask you did you get it from a breeder

5. raynor25

I got him from a reputable Herpatologist.He has allways been very healthy.

6. raynor25

Hi, his nose & eyes are fine. We use auboise (hemp bedding) in his house. The temp is 76 f & aprox 65f at cooler part.

7. leggy

leggy PetForums Member

Ok sorry i been ages getting back to you:( I only do temps in c's and lost my gadget to check yours:eek: You need to keep Hermanns hot end 30c no higher then 32. is the ideal and a good drop at call end. I assume you are using an open top enclosure not a viv:confused:Did the person you got the tort from breed them himself. You can check the papers to see wot country it came from if not uk then have a poo sample checked by a vet for worms. A tortoise i look after for the tortoise trust had worms and thay bout on symptoms of RNS. If the Tortoise is still eating and showing no other sign of ill health then try givin the enclosure a light misting of worm water first thing in the morning before turning on the light and last thing at night. In the willd when the Hermanns come up to bask in the morning thay will be wet from the morning due. I have found that with the hemp it makes the enviroment to dry so i replicat the evening and morning due to solve this:)It might work for you. If this dosent work then you will need to find a proper tortoise vet. Dont go to a normal vet. You can find a list of vets on the tortoise trust website. If you cant find one pm me and i will give you a hand:)

8. raynor25

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. :) Yes we got tort from local couple who deffinately breed themselves, we have seen the parents of our tort many times (brothers & sisters also). ;) I have taken your advice & sprayed the house, so i will wait & see if the whistle stops. We have a local vet who specializes in reptiles so i might pay him a visit when the weather is not so cold.:eek: just to make sure everything is ok.
    Take care :D

9. leggy

leggy PetForums Member

Ok Just keep up the spraying but it sounds like the torts ok:) Let us know how it go's

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice