Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breast is best!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mum2Alfie, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

There are a few people on here that a pregnant at the moment, me included. A few are first timers. So just thought I would share abit of my knowledge and fears that I had with Alfie with you guys.

Alfie was born about 3 weeks early, he had the cord around his neck was blue and needed to be rushed off for 10 mins for oxygen. When he came back he was fine and thats when I did the skin to skin with him, but didnt feed him, as noone told me to try and he was very silent and sleepy. It wasnt until the next day that I tried to feed him. He wouldnt really latch on and kept crying. I tried for a good 3 days, but all he did was scream really badly and wouldnt latch on. I had the smallest of help you could possibly imagine. So I gave up and bottled fed him. Then I found that I was getting the smallest of leaking in the mornings only. So basically I had none in me.

So I went to ante natel this weekend, a great thing to do, especially if your a first time mum. I asked about it and the reason I had none was a few factors.....Skin to skin should happen as soon as they are born. If it cant be helped then ASAP after they are born. They need to be put to the breast within the first hour of them being born.....not the next day, for the hormone to be released. Also I had pethodine....horrible drug, wish I never did and will not have it this time! Made Alfie very sleepy, therefore he didnt want to feed. His sucking reflex might not have been all there either. So basically I had no hope with him!! This time however I WILL know what to do!! :D Also try not to give them a dummy or a bottle at all cause its a different sucking reflex and they wont take to the breast again....which I didnt know about.

So now after the ante natel classes I feel that I am really ready for this baby! I have had so much more information this time round! Whereas in Braintree where I lived before I feel I had none! So much better this time round and feel more prepared, even for the labour! :D Ohhh I cant wait! :D Got my bag ready now, just a few bits I need to pack on the day that I go into labour as I need them now. But done everything else. :D How are you guys who are pregnant feeling? How do you feel you are being treated? enough info or not enough? Share your pregnancy thoughts here! :D

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Good post! Were about to try for baby number 3 but im more scared this time than i was the other 2 times im terrified:eek:

3. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Oh wow, how come hun?

4. harley bear

Well i have had two really painful pregnancies from start to finish, second time round i couldnt even dress myself or move without nearly crying in agony.
    And the birth well i would want another home birth but im classed as over weight even tho i was the same weight when i had ry im scared i will be refused a home birth... if i do get refused them oh will have to stay at home with the kids why i go in hospital because we have no one to look after them.
    And im scared i will be in so much pain i wont be able to manage looking after the two i have.:eek:

Sounds silly i know but i know im not ready so say enough is enough because all i have ever wanted is a big family:eek:

5. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Alfies pregnancy I think I got it easy..the only thing I had was morning sickness which lasted throughout and didnt stick to the morning. This one however I have had horrible pain in my belly which has made it so difficult. It was a few weeks ago that as I picked up a heavy basket of washing that I realised that it was carrying heavy stuff that was causing the pain...I was pulling the muscles in my belly. Also if I walk to far that sets it off. My cousin also had pain with her second due to her muscles not being as they were. However this is her third and this time round she is fine. Have you seen a pattern or is it constant? I am sure you will be allowed a home birth, its classed as high risk, but as long as they have the things to keep a check on your blood pressure there shouldnt be a problem. What was your blood pressure like before? This time round you will be required to have a horrid glucose tolerance test too!:D

6. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Did it all a long time ago but was very happy and content with how feeding went. Have been asked by HV to help a couple of Mums in the past. If I can offer any support feel free to ask...

7. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

My first born was emergency section and due to me not fully recovering and us both being fast asleep for almost a whole day,there was no real first feed as such intil about 15 hours later.

I kept trying to feed my son, but was givien no real help or advice, I was just left to it really.
    By the time he was 1 month old, I was still struggling with the feeding and I had more blood than milk coming out because they were literally that sore.

I ended up going to bottle because I couldnt take the pain any longer.

My second baby was born 3 months premature and everything was extremely stressful, not just with the birth and baby, but with homelife too.
    I tried to express milk using a pump, but I was drying up and before the month was up, I was only able to produce a few drops, but the nurses in neonatal were soo supportive, they still smiled and said I had done a fantastic job and I should be proud, bless them.

If I was too ever have a 3rd, I would beg for help and advice on breast feeding, its invaluable, well if you intend to breast feed, because if it doesnt work out, you can be left feeling like a failure

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

When i had mine there were no real advice you just got on with it and did whatever came naturaly.:rolleyes:

9. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I wish you all the best, there's a disturbing lack of care nowadays even for new mom's. All I can say is if something doesn't sit right with you, fight for what you want and if you can't get it, transfer to a better service even if it means travelling an hour by bus.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

1st I lasted 10days he had no sucking reflex at all and was 5 weeks early but development wise around a 32weeker max
    Didn't see him for 24hrs nearly because I was so poorly and he needed to be in a incubator :(
    He also had serious jaundice 3 days after his birth so cad I wasn't allowed to take him out of the incubator and the uv lights unless I was changing his mat so I expressed and he was tube fed he lost I think 27% of his body weight and I brought him home weighing nearly a lb under his birth weight at 13days old

He would've died without bottles!

2nd who was 3 weeks early (and tiny) baby breast fed for 7weeks I gave because i found it hard feeding all the time with also looking after a 12-13month old she was a very sucky baby plus it hurt everytime, the lack of support and help was amazing I was given was amazing on the ward 2hrs after birth I was told "oh your a second time mum your a pro seeing as your first Is only 12months"

11. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I have spoken to my mum about this many times. She insists that a Doula is great. Basically they are women how have gone through labour, and then get employed to help other mums through labour. They know what they are talking about, and are much more on the ball than partners (she thinks) and my mum felt much more relaxed about the my brothers birth than she did about any of us.

My mum was told to go home because I wasn't going to be born for days.... I popped out 30 mins later in the corridor of the hospital :/ same with twins 17 months later, and spookily both at 7:20pm on a Monday :/

Back in the 80's/90's when we were all born, my mum said that no advice was given about breastfeeding, and as Daynna says she was just left to it because she was a 'pro' my mum had a 17 month old and twins and was told, oh you'll be fine, you only did this the other day. (unfortunately one of the twins died :( but I still have my brother) there was no support, and even when she lost a child she did not think that there was much support for a grieving family.

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

13. harley bear

Im not mahusive lol im a size 14-16 but classed as over weight my blood pressure is and always been ok, i had a problem free homebirth last time but it was very long 16.5 hours!
    All my pain during pregnancies started when i fell down concrete stairs when i was pregnant with my first, i still have problems with my back now and i havent been pregnant for nearly 2 yrs.
    Or instead of a dula you can have a friend who has had kids be a birth partner. My mate was there with both mine and she was amazing, really amazing! She was up all day and night bless her both times!

14. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

i am classed as obese, size 20 before I got pregnant, a mahussive 24 now that I am! :D I was on weight watchers before I got pregnant, lost 2 and half stone and fell....took us 3 years of trying! You should be ok, its up to you especially as its gonna be your 3rd. My blood pressure has been fine throughout but I may still have to go to labour ward rather than the birthing unit which is alot nicer rooms! :D But I am gonna ask case my blood pressure has been fine!

Its nice to have someone with you that knows, I had my mum with Alfie, got my sister this time. Apparently Harlows team is classed as one of the best in England. I have been bombarded with info and its been amazing! :D

15. ClaireLouise

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing is best IMO

I didnt breast feed either of my children and it has made no difference they are both healthy kids with good immune systems and have always been of good weight.
    Just do what comes natural. If thats breast feeding then great but if not dont feel bad, there are great alernatives that babies do great on...... enjoying being a new mum is the main thing :)

16. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

They are making it really tricky now though! You are not able to make the bottles up in advance any more, you have to make them as you go, personally I dont fancy making a bottle up at 3am with a screaming baby! God knows how you do it, to be honest if I have the same trouble as I had with Alfie I may just make the bottles up before hand! But I really wanna breast feed this time. It is alot better in so many ways....including the tightening those belly muscles! :D But I agree, if I had continued like the health visitor had suggested he would have starved!

17. ClaireLouise

There are ways round it. You cant add the powder in advance but you can make bottles up and put the im the fridge with boiled water in then all you have to do is warm up slightly and add powder doesnt take very long at all.

18. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Who said your not allowed??

Milk from a bottle can last 24 hours once made up as long as its in the fridge.

Your baby your body dont ever let anyone tell you different.

You can't win in this world at all. When i was breast feeding i was always getting remarsk about it then when i expressed and bottle fed i got jibs at that too!

I breast fed all 4 of my children all were very very different the first 2 difficult becasue i had no help but by number 3 i had worked it out myself and number 4 well i think someone gave her a manual!

Do what feels best and Jezz if somoene told me i couldn't make up bottles in advance my words would be F off!!

19. harley bear

My first was bottle fed and he used to feed every two hours round the clock he used to have 6 bottles during the night! There was no bloody way i was gonna do a bottle at a time! I just made them all up and took them to bed with me and warmed them up when needed. During the day i did make them as needed tho.
    I breast fed my second hes 2 in august and is still feeding :(

I think its much better and you feel much safer when you have a good hospital for support. I had to stay over night when i was 23 weeks and i was left with no food or bedding i was dreading being induced!

I hope you get to use the birthing suite :)

20. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I agree , if you really can't or it really is not for you, then don't beat yourself up. After all if you stood a group of people next to each other could any one tell who was and who wasn't breast fed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice