Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Breakfast?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JoanneF, Mar 8, 2017.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I was always brought up with the theory you feed for the exercise done, not the exercise to be done. But Timber is not a morning dog. I wondered if maybe, like us, a breakfast would get him going in the mornings. He is only 6, he is fit and healthy - just a real lazybones in the mornings.

I know some of you give breakfast, is that generally before or after your first walks?

Any views?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Bungo gets a run around the courtyard and sometimes round the block before breakfast, main walk is later, before lunch.

3. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Oscar wakes you up for food so no chance of him delaying his breakfast!

Quick pee and then breakfast is served instantly ..... he then has a little wonder around the garden and goes back to sleep for another hour or so before he would even consider a walk!

The girls obviously have the same routine.

Our main walks are in the afternoon in the week and at the weekends we enjoy lazy mornings too so late mornings/early afternoon is our walk time.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Mine get a snack first thing (couple of biscuits or something) to prevent hunger pukes and then have their walk - breakfast is about an hour after we get back from walking.

I personally really dislike the idea of once a day feeding, I'm as soft as butter and think it must be pretty hard on them/their stomachs!

Muttly likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oh, he has always had two meals but one at lunchtime and the other at about 6 pm, then a few pieces of kibble at bed time. But I am wondering if a few at breakfast time too would help.

6. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

As most on here. must be quiet aware I feed raw to our lot. They get 1 meal each day around 4 pm but get their BIG long walks in the mornings.
    If any of our dogs need adjustments to their amount of food intake this is done once a day at 4pm. Their always ready to go at whatever time of day! Maybe it depends on what breed or crossbreed your dog is. Maybe "Timber" enjoys his home comforts more than turning out in probably all weathers !
    It looks like his daily routine has been "sorted" ! Ha ha

7. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Muttly has a small biscuit when we wake up, then his walk. Then after his walk, he sits and chew a bone or tripe stick. He really isn't interested in a meal in the morning, but he needs some food.

Muttly has basically shown me this is how he wants/needs to be fed. He wants a meal in the evening, loves something to chew on while I get ready for work and the biscuit first thing and last thing is to stop any empty tummy gurgles that he seems prone too.

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi is a breakfast girl. Cats always have breakfast so it seems only fair she does.
    I sort them, then have mine and a good hr later we have a moderate walk.
    She has lunch and a main walk mid pm.
    Evening meal and supper.
    Her tum is happier with regular meals.
    She used to have just breakfast and evening meal.

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I will be giving it a try then. I shall let you know if there is any change! Thanks everyone.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack has half his breakfast around 7.30am, his walk around 8.30am and the rest when we get back.

I did this because if we walk with a friend and then want to have a coffee somewhere he isn't hungry and will settle for a while with a chew, otherwise he was a bit whiny and wanted to hurry home for his breakfast!

JoanneF likes this.
  11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Walk 1st, breakfast an hour after we get back

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Breakfast first. He gets up, has a wee, comes in and has his brekkie, then its out for a poo and he comes back in and usually snoozes or gets a chew from the box.

Ned gets 3 meals a day though and i have to make sure i space them out.

Plus i like to avoid the early morning walkers and am in a position to do so most days.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

My two always have breakfast, sometimes they will get a walk in the morning but it's usually in the afternoon. I know I can't survive on one meal a day, so I've always given them breakfast...and if I don't do it as soon as I get up I get The Stare!

Scrumpy used to be once a day with a dentastick in the morning and treats throughout the day. Now he gets four small meals a day to help with his sugars....he loves this!

14. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Mon-Fri walks happen first thing in the morning and he gets his breakfast about 40mins later when I finish showering and getting ready for work. Sat-Sun sometimes he gets a breakfast in the mornings as we go for a long walk around midday or in the afternoon, while other times I will wake up and have a banana before we go for a walk so he gets a third of it too and then we both have a proper breakfast after we get home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice