Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bravely Trying Raw!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by SammyJo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. SammyJo

SammyJo PetForums VIP

After reading lots of positive threads on here regarding raw feeding, I thought I would try a bit with my cat and kitten :p

I bought some liver, heart and kidneys last nite, chopped it all up small and mixed the portions.

The older cat ate ever scrap I offered him, he loved it :p

The little kitten thought it strange at first, chewing then spitting it out, then chewing a bit more, but he finished it too :eek:

I'm so happy that I braved the squeamish thought of giving them raw meat!

I put the rest of the mixture in small portions in the freezer.

Thanks for all the positive raw feeding threads everyone! :thumbup:

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Hey, well done you! Can't wait to see what your results are! Just monitor the proportions you're feeding, as that sounds like quite a bit of organ meat in proportion to muscle meat, unless you're feeding loads and loads of heart, that is.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

And that in itself wouldn't be ideal in my book.

Don't forget that as long as you don't feed more than 20% of their weekly meals as raw then you don't need to worry about the "proper" ratios, so your little concoction is fine and dandy for that. Remember though that liver should only make up a tiny part of their diet (5% really isn't much at all) and overall a lot of offal or organ meat (and heart for that matter) can make cats squidshy.

4. MissDiffo

MissDiffo PetForums Member

I tried with my kittens (8 months today!!) too.

I gave them chicken breast fillet the day before yesterday and they ate it.

I tried to give them chicken liver and heart last night and the boy was happy enough-but not too much-....while the girl gave it a little sniff and left :bored:

I am going to try again in a week or so.

The problem is that I can't mix it to their usual morning/eveningfood -Hilife- as they seem to have got fed up with it.
    I can't mix it to Animonda Carny as they seem not to like this either -I recently got some to make them try....-

Tbh I am in a bit of a sticky situation as I don't know what food to give them as they don't seem to like ANYTHING at the moment :001_unsure:

The only food they seem to eat is the dry...

Arghhhh!!

5. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

Am pleased with your success as we plan on trying raw this weekend with our 10 week old kitten. Gives me hope!

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am sure he will take to it just fine....but with a kitten do steer away from too much of the richer and organ meats as they can make the poop a bit loose and kittens get messy very easily!

7. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

Thank you I am lucky as I live very close to the natural instinct factory which has a shop. So I don't have to buy a big amount or pay delivery. I am going to get one of the weaning pastes just to mix in with his Lily's to get him used to the taste.

And then one of the more basic taste ones. Then if all goes well I can go and get some more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice