Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bravecto Fluralaner Flea and Tick for Dogs, Info needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ShadowHunter1991, Jul 6, 2020.

1. ShadowHunter1991

ShadowHunter1991 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping well in these times.

I just wanted to get some info if at all possible on the above flea and tick treatment - chew-able tablet - for dogs. Long story short, I didn't want any of this for my dog, just the wormer, the receptionist at the vets asked if I wanted it, so I asked for a price, then declined as it was really costly compared to the wormer £58 all in rather than just £12 for the wormer. She has never has fleas or ticks, so therefore just went with the wormer.

However, she must have accidentally put it in the bag with the wormer, so I gave it to my dog. I called up straight after to check as it seemed I had more tablets than mentioned on the phone. I was about to give the milprazon tablets for worming, but held fire. Ultimately, I didn't want to give her the flea and tick as she has a sensitive stomach and I didn't think it necessary.

I then did some reading on it and it seems that there is a very large amount of owners who have seriously ill pets or have lost their pets after taking this toxic stuff. Of course, this could be because of any number of underlying issues, or breed specific, and the qty ingested, but I am not happy with this toxic rubbish flowing through her system. I called the vets back and they said they give out 100s a month, 12 a day or so and never here of any issues. Like I say, just over reacting, I'm sure.

I am going to call up tomorrow and see if they can administer some liquid charcoal, or something to try and help bring down the toxicity in her system, if there is such a feasible option, unlikely. I'm annoyed that she had this, and I should have read the prescription properly, but was foolish to assume they had done their job.

Long winded for sure, just wanted to ask if anyone else uses this product and what their feedback on it is. I spoke to numerous people including the vet, and they say all fine, but you read a forum of at least 30 people who have reported serious neurological issues with their pets, shortly after administering and you begin to worry.

Thanks in advance, stay safe.

Best, James

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Never had an issue with Bravecto. All my dogs have it, including the one with the sensitive tum, all fine. Of course you will find people who have had reactions, that's just life. My dogs are much better with the tablet than the spot on liquid which they hate.
    I do only flea if I see them, which I do tend to this time of year as it prevents ticks too (important in my area).

ShadowHunter1991 likes this.
  3. ShadowHunter1991

Hi Sarah, thanks so much for your prompt reply! That's amazing news. Just read the worst and got super worried. She's a strong dog, big dog, malinois, but just know she reacts badly to some drugs. The annoying thing is that she doesn't have fleas or ticks, which I guess is when one would use it. Though I'm sure as a preventer, it's important too. I will keep my eye on her, sure she will be fine.

Thanks so much!

4. Sarah H

I think if you haven't seen a reaction by now, she should be fine. Just give it a good few days before giving her the wormer, so her system has time to recover. You could always give her some probiotics in the mean time to settle her tum, or charcoal biscuits (you can buy them at most pet shops).
    I know it's a worry, especially if you know she has a sensitive tum and weren't expecting to give her the tablet! But don't panic, just keep an eye on her but I can't imagine you will see a reaction.

ShadowHunter1991 likes this.
  5. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Daisys had it since she was a pup and never had any problems, or fleas for that matter.

6. ShadowHunter1991

I've ordered some up, thanks for your help! really appreciate that. Best, James

Sarah H likes this.
  7. ShadowHunter1991

Thank you!

8. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

If it has been a few days now, she is probably fine :). Personally, I choose not to give my dog chemical flea and tick treatments - especially ones that have to be ingested. I know of dogs that have become seriously ill after taking these and I would rather not chance it. Especially as my dog has had ongoing issues with her skin :). Each to their own though. I haven't had to deal with ticks until recently and for now, I am taking a natural approach. May be a longer and (in some cases) more expensive approach but it's worth it.

9. ShadowHunter1991

Thanks for the message. It hasn't been 24 hours yet. I'm going to call the vets again tomorrow. Not happy with this. I have some nux vom I'm going to use tomorrow among other things.

10. ShadowHunter1991

May I ask how many owners with dogs you know that have been affected? what breeds also? thanks

11. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

I have heard of a French Bulldog affected (think it was), and more recently an incredibly fit and healthy Border Collie. There are probably more but I'm too tired to think at the moment.

12. ShadowHunter1991

Understood. I'm hoping a one off won't have any adverse effects. I'll be giving my vets hell tomorrow, either way. thanks for the info.

13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It's hardly fair to 'give your vets hell' when, as you admit, you 'should have read the prescription properly'. I would never give my dog ANYTHING without double checking what I was giving them.

It's incredibly unlikely that your dog will have a reaction. Sure, there will be a very small number of dogs who will react to Bravecto, just as they will be a very small number of dogs who will react to anything. My dog's littermate just about died after having a regular wormer (can't remember if it was Drontal or Milbemax) as a very young puppy, even though every other puppy in the litter was fine with it. It's the same with people - a very small number react to medications and vaccinations, that's just life. But of course, stories about a very small number of dogs having reactions to this, that and everything else get passed on (and blown out of proportion) - whereas you never hear about the millions of dogs who DON'T react to something.

I am wondering, however, how you managed to get the Bravecto without noticing - did she not charge you for it? Or you didn't notice an extra 58 pounds on your bill? And how did you not notice you had two pills? Did the Bravecto not come in a package?

There's nothing your vet can do tomorrow as it's in your dog's system now - if you got your dog to the vet in the first few hours they could have induced vomiting, although that in itself is a pretty nasty process for the dog.

By all means, mention to the vet that you were given a product you didn't want, but you are the person who administered the medication so I think you need to accept some of the responsibility here.

14. ShadowHunter1991

I understand there's a slim chance she will react to the medication. However, she has reacted before to a flea and tick drug, which is the reason why I didn't want to give her any, as she has never had a problem with ticks and fleas. I called up and asked for a wormer, I was told she would need 2 tablets, one large adult and one small puppy to make up the qty. I was then asked if I would like flea and tick medication - of which I was never given a name nor any info - other than a total price of around £58. I asked how much the wormer was and she said £11.81. So I said forget the tick and flea, I will just go for the wormer. Paid over the phone, £11.81 gone from the account. Job done. I went to collect the prescription at distance an hour or so before close, got home, found 2 boxes in the bag, a large and a small. Gave the big one - in this case bravecto - then got confused as to why I had another two tablets in the smaller box. I had initially assumed that the bravecto was just the name of the wormer as I had never heard of the brand before and the other smaller box which I hadn't yet opened contained the smaller tab. I called them up to ask why I had so many tablets and they told me what had happened and apologised and they did tell me they give so many out and there is most likely going to be no issue.
    I agree, I administered the medication and will have to take full responsibility and bear the guilt if anything untoward happens. but when you are given no 'names' of said medication and specifically mention you DON'T want to give your dog that kind of product, I find it highly unprofessional it even made it into the bag in the first place. Yes, I should have sat down, googled all the contents, then administered like any normal person, but my working hours are very erratic and after working nights your brain isn't always on top form, so I did the stupid thing and just 'assumed' a very expensive and professional veterinary practise didn't make such a simple mistake. But there we go, as you say, it's in her system now, of that I know. I'm just annoyed that such a simple task cannot be achieved of checking the contents. If I make a mistake at work, I'll certainly know about it. I also would have thought that as a practise they have a duty of care to offer advice on such products that have some negative cases, or levels of toxicity, or at least ask about potential MDR1 gene issues and maybe check as to whether it's something I definitely want, especially as my dog is a herder of which some -yes, only some - cases affected herding breeds. She has a very sensitive stomach and a few months ago ingested rat poison, which required immediate attention, induced vomiting and liquid charcoal, so forgive me if I get a bit pedantic over a drug - that at it's core is a toxic poison to a certain degree and dose - is given to me when I didn't want it and never have had. I will certainly be reading all prescriptions and googling before prescribing from now on. I just can't stand people not doing their job, regardless of what's going on in the world.

15. Sarah H

Honestly I'd just stop worrying, your dog is fine as are the millions of others who regularly take Bravecto monthly. Yes mention to the vet that they gave you something you didn't ask for, I expect they just popped it in the bag when you were paying and forgot to remove it.
    Dogs are extremely resilient and like to eat rotting meat, poo, and other unmentionables. If you are going to see a reaction it will be quick (usually within a couple of hours) as they have short digestive tracts. If after 24 hours there has been no issue then you are very unlikely to have one.
    Chalk it up to experience and be happy that in this very bad year for fleas and ticks your dog is covered.

EDIT: here's a paper about the MDR1 gene and Bravecto. Even at huge doses dogs with the affected gene had no reaction. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3975640/
    Not sure if Malis have the mutuation, it's rough and smooth collies generally, and the odd other dog.

16. margy

margy PetForums VIP

When I order Belles meds , like you I pay over the phone and when I collect it before it's dropped into the outside basket for me to retrieve the nurse takes each item from the bag and reads all the instruction on dosage and what each medication is called. This is helpful if people are unsure what's what.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice