UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 days Branston seems to be suffering from some sort of coughing/choking attacks. It's as though he has something stuck but he'll do a horrid dry racking cough about 10 times then wretch and bring up a bit of saliva but nothing else. Then he'll be fine again for several hours.

He is eating, drinking and generally behaving normally. We went for a 2 hour walk yesterday afternoon and he was absolutely fine. It seems to be triggered by excitement.... if he goes to bark at the door, or leaps up to greet me we when I come in.

I've tried looking down his throat but can't see any further than the back of his mouth because his tongues in the way. I've felt the outside of his throat and I do think it felt a little bit swollen last night but feels better today.

Obviously I'm keeping a very close eye on him and will take him straight to the vets if it gets worse but was wondering what you guys think, does it sound like he may have something stuck? Would he be eating ok and acting normally 97% of the time if that were the case? Could he have a sore throat? If so is there anything I can give him to try and alleviate it? I thought about some warm goats milk and manuka honey??

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Is it possible he's caught kennel cough? I know when Oscar had it it appeared out of nowhere and although he was't really ill with it he would choke and retch and bring up white saliva.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Maybe KC as Beth17 said? I'd call the vet and say that it's what you suspect so they can ask to see you outside / last so you're not in the waiting area.

SixStar (I think!) has a home remedy recipe that helps.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Yes, that sounds exactly like kennel cough to me too. Ring your vets and tell them you suspect KC when you make the appointment as its highly contagious and they won't want you in the waiting room, etc.
Branston will quickly recover with some ab and I think we also used a cough medicine.

ETA - Sorry Dogless, hadn't realised I was repeating you!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I've just had a read up on the symptoms of kennel cough and the description of the cough sounds very similar - dry hacking cough. Branston's cough is so infrequent though, does that still sound like it could be KC? I've been up since 6.30 and he has only coughed once, and yesterday through the course of the entire day he probably had about 5 'attacks' of coughing with nothing inbetween.

I've given him some honey this morning (was advised as a natural remedy on one of the sites I was looking at). I can't see a way of getting him to the vets today as I am working until 8pm. I'll give the vets a ring though and see what they say and if he doesn't get any better I'll take him in tomorrow. If it is KC I've no idea where he caught it from and Lily is showing no signs at all. Does anyone know what the incubation period is?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Poor Branson.
Hope he feels better soon.
I'm going to get frank checked out now cause on and off for a couple of days he's had a strange cough.almost like he has something stuck.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Thanks guys, I've just had a read up on the symptoms of kennel cough and the description of the cough sounds very similar - dry hacking cough. Branston's cough is so infrequent though, does that still sound like it could be KC? I've been up since 6.30 and he has only coughed once, and yesterday through the course of the entire day he probably had about 5 'attacks' of coughing with nothing inbetween.

I've given him some honey this morning (was advised as a natural remedy on one of the sites I was looking at). I can't see a way of getting him to the vets today as I am working until 8pm. I'll give the vets a ring though and see what they say and if he doesn't get any better I'll take him in tomorrow. If it is KC I've no idea where he caught it from and Lily is showing no signs at all. Does anyone know what the incubation period is?
Yes, afraid so - exactly how Zach was.
I think the incubation period is about two weeks.

Hope Branstons feels better soon x

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right. He has just had another 'attack' and it sounds so sore :( So I've phoned the vets and they can get him in at 10:10 this morning :thumbup: I didn't think they'd be able to see him so soon but it's great as I start work at 12 so can get him in before I go.

They've asked me to keep him in the car until the vet is ready to see him.

Right, better get sorted and go!

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
Sounds very much like kennel cough to me as well.

It usually starts doing the rounds about now and I know of quite a number of dogs down south who have succumbed very recently.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were all right, it is kennel cough :(

Luckliy Branston had a good coughing fit as he walked into the examination room so the vet was pretty much able to diagnose it straight away. Good job really seeing as he then turned into evil devil dog from hell and had to be muzzled for the vet to examine him :( then when she was trying to listen to his heart and lungs he was growling so much that there is no way she could have heard anything :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm £114 poorer and Branston has 2 weeks of AB's and AI's to take. She said that it's almost guaranteed that Lily will get it too if she hasn't already but we can't do anything until she has the symptoms and then it'll be the same for her....... another £114!! :eek:

Fingers crossed Lily has the immune system of steel and manages to avoid it.

The vet also recommended I look at getting them vaccinated once they are both over this as it seems to be getting more and more prevelant. I was quite surprised that he has it as he has very little contact with other dogs really other than the odd sniff on a walk and we don't tend to walk in very heavy dog populated areas so always thought they were at minimal risk :(

Are any of your dogs vaccinated against Kennel Cough? :eek:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
:(:(:( Poor Branston. Fingers crossed for little Lily.

Mine aren't vaccinated as, like you, I thought we were low risk.

I shall see about getting them done I think. I have avoided it because I assumed we were low risk and the whole vaccine down the nose thing really upset my childhood collie and she was never happy going to the vets after that, she would quite literally hold on to the door-frames of consulting rooms.

BUT it would be good to know that if we did have an emergency they would be clear to go into kennels if necessary.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Bless him.
Fingers crossed for Lilly.
My two had the up the nose jobby in August before they went to dog boarders.
On my post this morning I said frank had had similar symptoms but he hasn't done it since last night.called vet this morning and they said keep an eye on him.prob just being an over protective mom :eek:

Hope he feels better soon. :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
aww that's exactly how Cody started, coughing once a day, hopefully it wont be too long before he's out and about again.

AB's for 2 weeks and return vet visit after 2 weeks.

Cody only had symptoms for a week and was given the all clear after the 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
£114 - ouch!!

I was shocked when Zach got it too, though I still think he picked it up from some fox fur he picked up out in the fields. None of the neighbourhood dogs got it or had it though.

I have vaccinated him since, mainly because it was such a pain isolating him and trying not to spread it. However as I understand it's a bit like the human flu immunisation - the immunisation doesn't protect against a new strain.
Zach's our fifth dog and our first to ever get it, it does seem to be more prevelant now.

Hope Branston picks up quickly - I think Zach recovered quickly once he'd had the AB's. Hope Lily stays clear x

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
You were all right, it is kennel cough :(

Luckliy Branston had a good coughing fit as he walked into the examination room so the vet was pretty much able to diagnose it straight away. Good job really seeing as he then turned into evil devil dog from hell and had to be muzzled for the vet to examine him :( then when she was trying to listen to his heart and lungs he was growling so much that there is no way she could have heard anything :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm £114 poorer and Branston has 2 weeks of AB's and AI's to take. She said that it's almost guaranteed that Lily will get it too if she hasn't already but we can't do anything until she has the symptoms and then it'll be the same for her....... another £114!! :eek:

Fingers crossed Lily has the immune system of steel and manages to avoid it.

The vet also recommended I look at getting them vaccinated once they are both over this as it seems to be getting more and more prevelant. I was quite surprised that he has it as he has very little contact with other dogs really other than the odd sniff on a walk and we don't tend to walk in very heavy dog populated areas so always thought they were at minimal risk :(

Are any of your dogs vaccinated against Kennel Cough? :eek:
My goodness that was steep.

If you mean Intrak up the nose then no my dogs are not vaccinated against KC.

I only take my dogs to the vets if they are very young or very old, when they need antibiotics in case of secondary infection.

If they are healthy dogs I treat with Manuka honey or child's strength Benylin. They are isolated and rested until they recover.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Aww! Poor Branston!

Izzy is vaccinated as she goes to doggy daycare and we live in a heavily populated area with lots of dogs so the risks are high!

I've got a KC remedy written down which I found on the forum a while ago, it was from the member with the rotties who left (can't remember user name) but let me know if you want me to put it on here for you!

Fingers crossed little Lilly doesn't catch it!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
That was steep, we didn't get charged that much... BUT I suspect that Cheddar got it at the vets, he was having regular visits to check his eye graft. We also had an eye check up so probably did not get the appointment charge :D

Hope he is better soon. Cough was not a big issue, we were just worried about pressure being raised in his eye. Lucky it was all ok.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Ouch that's steep, when Oscar had his the vet said I could give him antibiotics or not bother and see how he went. I didn't bother and he was alright in a couple of days :D
He's not vaccinated against it either.

Poor Branston hope he's feeling better soon and Lily manages to avoid it!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
For the past 2 days Branston seems to be suffering from some sort of coughing/choking attacks. It's as though he has something stuck but he'll do a horrid dry racking cough about 10 times then wretch and bring up a bit of saliva but nothing else. Then he'll be fine again for several hours.

He is eating, drinking and generally behaving normally. We went for a 2 hour walk yesterday afternoon and he was absolutely fine. It seems to be triggered by excitement.... if he goes to bark at the door, or leaps up to greet me we when I come in.

I've tried looking down his throat but can't see any further than the back of his mouth because his tongues in the way. I've felt the outside of his throat and I do think it felt a little bit swollen last night but feels better today.

Obviously I'm keeping a very close eye on him and will take him straight to the vets if it gets worse but was wondering what you guys think, does it sound like he may have something stuck? Would he be eating ok and acting normally 97% of the time if that were the case? Could he have a sore throat? If so is there anything I can give him to try and alleviate it? I thought about some warm goats milk and manuka honey??
Sounds like possible kennel cough. Does it sound like this?
Dixon has kennel cough - YouTube

If it does likely what it is.
Usually they do start a bout especially after exercise of jumping about.

Manuka honey is good it can deffinately help, Here is some more info and more natural things that can help

Kennel Cough Symptoms & Treatment - Kennel Cough Help!

You need to just watch for complications like green yellowish discharge coming from the nose. If you take him to the vets they will likely give antibiotics as precautionary to stop any secondary bacterial infection or to precent it going to a lower respiratory problem. Make sure you tell them its suspected KC too as its very contagious.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.